Events and no Fixes?

Dragon1886

Bluerise said:
Dragon1886 said:
As what do you think if the Johto will get deleted by some errors or problems then how much time will the current staff take to add it again?It is possible that they will be able to add it very soon as all the maps are already prepared.
Why would Johto get deleted? If anything, if there were issues - there would likely be a different process to fixing the maps than the previous time.

I know Johto will never be deleted.I just said to assume it dude.

Arenya

Website
www.dezeen.com
Dragon1886 said:
[glow=purple]The staff must add regions quickly as we can see how the people was so happy when johto had came in pwo.The idea of quickly adding johto in pwo was really very great and all the people was so surprised and happy to see johto in game.Now the staff is taking a few months in adding the Hoenn region and they had promised us in January to add Hoenn in game.They are working just like turtle and even if a few moths later they will add Hoenn in game the people will not be very surprise just like johto.Now they must think how the Hoenn can be added in game as soon as possible and think about other developments and fixes later.[/glow]
Were you there when Johto was added to the game for the first time? Somehow I doubt that you were.
When Johto was added for the first time, sure players were excited. That is, untill they discovered that Johto was incomplete, had no gyms, no decent NPCs, no quests, horribly buggy maps (walking on trees and water etc) and unrealistic pokemon spawns. After catching the pokemon they wanted most players retreated to Kanto and only returned every two weeks to battle NPCs and complain that there were no gyms.
If we added Hoenn now, then it would be exactly like that first Johto. Do you really want that? - and here the answer is sadly but probably yes. Do und staff want that? No we dont, because we learnt from the ancient PWO staff that you cannot rush these things or you will take 10 times as long fixing things in the future. Just think, if the ancient PWO staff had done an amazing job on johto, then the old and current staff wouldnt have had to spend years fixing it - and then Hoenn might be ingame already and wed have players demanding for us to add Sinnoh right now.
If the staff dont learn from mistakes made in the past, then PWO will never move forward. Thats why we're not adding Hoenn right not - the end result would be an incomplete region with buggy maps, probably no gyms because some of those maps would be impossible with the current system, and no quests. Players would be excited at first, but the disappointed in the staff for opening something so incomplete and buggy. It would be Johto all over again.
And so, the PWO staff have to wait for a dev to make a new map layering system that allows Hoenn to be properly mapped - so you can wait as well. Nothing is going to happen with Hoenn untill we have the new map layering system, thats how it has always been and still is today.

Toxxix

I know my profile may say I'm new, but I been playing since the auction house was in it's infancy and where there was powerful guilds running around, and a que to get into the game. I came back from a long hiatus and so far, I hadn't seen much change within the game(I remember no gyms in Johto, felt creepy to walk around). I do understand GM's and Dev's have a busy schedule, but what irks me a little is the amount people are donating and we(I) don't see much of an improvement. I really love this game, and been supporting you Gents and ladies for quite sometime, but IF there is some internal disputes within the staff(or procrastination) then perhaps it's best to look for/advertise for new personnel. Just my two cents from what I seen over the years.

mad30

Youngster
We are always looking for new devs and other staff positions to be filled.

Maideza

mad30 said:
We are always looking for new devs and other staff positions to be filled.

Curious.. Which do you need mostly?

Currently moderating elsewhere - and moderation is something I do enjoy, so curious.

don4prez

definitely sounds like PWO is in need of some active DEVs.

someone who is actually able/willing to dedicate the time needed to address the current issues. Negative exp, broken moves, automated donation system are three things that would greatly improve PWO.

i look forward to what's to come.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
The donation system issue is likely related to how Xan has his account set up. To get some new active DEVs, this would require a current DEV looking into applications and then getting Xan's approval which is kind of difficult.

mad30

Youngster
Maideza said:
Curious.. Which do you need mostly?

Currently moderating elsewhere - and moderation is something I do enjoy, so curious.
We need everything, more or less

We take "applications" for dev, artists, composers, and mappers.

G

Am I right assuming that only the successful applications get answered? Just wondering how long it would take to get an answer, I applied for a dev position as I do have a rather decent (~10 years+) experience with C/C++ programming and would be willing to devote some time to further the development of the game (4th year university student = lots of free time to work on our own projects).

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Azru said:
Am I right assuming that only the successful applications get answered? Just wondering how long it would take to get an answer, I applied for a dev position as I do have a rather decent (~10 years+) experience with C/C++ programming and would be willing to devote some time to further the development of the game (4th year university student = lots of free time to work on our own projects).
The general idea for Development applicants in the past was that they themselves was not currently studying at University, whether the same applies to now though I wouldn't know. At the moment, you could get an answer however it wouldn't necessarily be an answer from someone who is experienced themselves in C++, I'll see if I can push Thugie to look when he's active again. I would happily push Xan if it weren't for the fact i've been waiting a week+ on other things.

maadoo

it seems to me that xan z inactivity is a serious issue , nothing can be done without his approval yet his barely active and lee can barely contact him. lee i remember once i asked you in game and you told me your only communication with xan is through an email which he barely opens , wouldn t getting his number be easier to get things done? and before you say call expenses :p , i m not telling you to call him , but texting/application like whatsapp can be really helpful and can make your job easier.

G

Bluerise said:
The general idea for Development applicants in the past was that they themselves was not currently studying at University, whether the same applies to now though I wouldn't know. At the moment, you could get an answer however it wouldn't necessarily be an answer from someone who is experienced themselves in C++, I'll see if I can push Thugie to look when he's active again. I would happily push Xan if it weren't for the fact i've been waiting a week+ on other things.

Well that's a curious policy, I would have thought that university students would make the best project members (not talking about myself now, just in general) because they have the necessary knowledge and have much more free time to work on the code than people who have a full-time job. Unless you want really experienced programmers, which makes sense in theory but in practice that would probably mean not that many applicants and thus not many people working on the server-side part of the game.

Either way I'm in no hurry, was just curious how the process works. :p Thanks for the answer.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
maadoo said:
it seems to me that xan z inactivity is a serious issue , nothing can be done without his approval yet his barely active and lee can barely contact him. lee i remember once i asked you in game and you told me your only communication with xan is through an email which he barely opens , wouldn t getting his number be easier to get things done? and before you say call expenses :p , i m not telling you to call him , but texting/application like whatsapp can be really helpful and can make your job easier.
No it wouldn't, he needs to be nearby a computer to get things done - clearly he isn't by one if we're having to contact via phone.

Maideza

As I see it.

While it's annoying some things can't be done faster, due to Xan being busy... I'm also happy Xan is busy.

If you are busy, it means you must do something right in your life ;)

G

Azru said:
Well that's a curious policy, I would have thought that university students would make the best project members (not talking about myself now, just in general) because they have the necessary knowledge and have much more free time to work on the code than people who have a full-time job. Unless you want really experienced programmers, which makes sense in theory but in practice that would probably mean not that many applicants and thus not many people working on the server-side part of the game.

They may have more knowledge, but they may not have as much time as you think. In addition to university, many people also need a part-time job, as they don't live with their parents anymore. So most of their time outside University is spent either on the part-time job or on doing homework. Very often, studying at an university may actually demand more time than a full-time job.

Toxxix

Maideza said:
As I see it.

While it's annoying some things can't be done faster, due to Xan being busy... I'm also happy Xan is busy.

If you are busy, it means you must do something right in your life ;)

Good for him, bad for the people that play the game. If Xan's inactivity is a serious issue, something needs to be done.

Dragon1886

Arenya said:
Bad staff are people like Nikola and co - exploiting a glitch on the playerdex to buy shiny UCs, teleporting his friends to hidden areas and spawning common aggrons so his friends could train faster and hunt for shiny ones at the same time.
Hey When i heard the name Nikola i remember the video that i had seen seen a long time ago.
Here is the it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DiP44o7ga4
I remember the old days when there were no small big screen but there was fun a lot.

G

Haneroze said:
They may have more knowledge, but they may not have as much time as you think. In addition to university, many people also need a part-time job, as they don't live with their parents anymore. So most of their time outside University is spent either on the part-time job or on doing homework. Very often, studying at an university may actually demand more time than a full-time job.

What about seeing if the student actually has freetime to work on it?
I mean, this is not a company with 2 thousand workers were you need general rules like that to accomodate things...

If the person has the knowledge and the time it should be enough

G

Megarodon said:
What about seeing if the student actually has freetime to work on it?
I mean, this is not a company with 2 thousand workers were you need general rules like that to accomodate things...

If the person has the knowledge and the time it should be enough

Indeed, being in University doesn't necessarily mean you don't have much free time. What I said is what generally happens. However, some may not have to work due to still having their stuff paid by their parents, while the program they are studying in may also not give them as much homework/studying than another.

However, from what I understood, this doesn't seem to be the case of Xan...