Events and no Fixes?

MrFlare2

Youngster
Dragon, If you WANT to post your ideas, don't go on all threads posting that. Just make a topic and see what other people think, and personally, Staff today are cooler.

On Topic: While moves can be fixed, Especially all moves, It would take tons of time and effort I'd assume. Besides, Events halp us, and they are fun. Fixes can wait till later, but enjoy the moves that AREN'T broken, like Fly, Dragon Claw, Dragon Breath, and MUCH more than that.

Dragon1886

MrFlare2 said:
Dragon, If you WANT to post your ideas, don't go on all threads posting that. Just make a topic and see what other people think, and personally, Staff today are cooler.

On Topic: While moves can be fixed, Especially all moves, It would take tons of time and effort I'd assume. Besides, Events halp us, and they are fun. Fixes can wait till later, but enjoy the moves that AREN'T broken, like Fly, Dragon Claw, Dragon Breath, and MUCH more than that.
[glow=purple]We are already enjoying the moves that are available now.But what will happen to those moves who are not available.I have kabuto lvl 5 it knows scratch and harden only.Scratch is broken and hard makes the body of pokemon hard so tell me how should i train it?I asked Dovee he said train it normally i tried many times but still it is lvl 5 and i also asked staff to daycare it to lvl 13 so it will learn absorb and i will be able to train it easily then.Again i just got reply TRAIN IT NORMALLY lol errors are problems of staff and they should take guarantee of any problem caused to a person due to these errors.[/glow]

G

Try being inventive with it? Catch a weedle, go into Viridian Forest, poison Metapods / Kakuna, then swap in Kabuto...

Dragon1886

Mist said:
Try being inventive with it? Catch a weedle, go into Viridian Forest, poison Metapods / Kakuna, then swap in Kabuto...
LOL i already have -350exp and it gives 6 or 7 exp by beating these small pokes.Admins wants to give ways of leveling up kabuto with different kind of things except for trying to fix this.

G

Mist said:

It's hard to be inventive when you don't know what works and what doesn't work. I fought a Ghastly waaaay too early, and despite having already catched 6 pokemons, only one of them could actually do something. Normally, I could have Foresighted it with my Sentret or Hoothoot, but it had no effect. I could have used Super-sonic with my Ledyba and make it kill itself eventually, but he was also immune to it when he shouldn't have been. I thought the only option left was to Razor Leaf him to death with my Chikorita (which was already about to die), but with his immunity to Normal status move, I thought maybe the poison type's immunity to poison may be broken as well, and I was right, Poison Powder worked on him.

I really hate how because of so many glitches, I have to abuse another glitch. That's part of what removes all the fun I have in those battles. I'm someone who tends to try to use a pokemon's moveset to the best, with strange strategies, but I can't do that when a pokemon learns a non-glitched move only once every 10 levels.

maadoo

confuse ray didnt work because it is a normal move . ghost are immune to normal attacks. i seem to agree though that a new developer assigned specifically to fixing move sets is required. since xan seems to be the one responsible for them now, he is just too inactive to a point where it s hurting the game , and like blue said he is the only one who can work on the battling system .

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Scratch isn't broken though, harden just makes it do less damage, like its meant too....

And if you paid attention to other topics talking about similar things, you would know that only certain staff members have access to change the problems you speak of, aka Shane and Xan. Pretty much everyone active now can't do these things, especially not GMs.

risefromruins

Youngster
Chocobo7 said:
Scratch isn't broken though, harden just makes it do less damage, like its meant too....

The move scratch for Kabuto specifically is broken.... ;D

mad30

Youngster
There seems to be some misunderstandings about our dev team so I will shed some light.

Kyro - former owner stop doing anything mid to late 2008
Zammbi - former project leader, fooled around with server code leading to the bad exp system we have now
Xan - current server dev, too busy haven't worked on much that players have seen for awhile
Shane - current client dev, released several new clients including the current one, didn't fix the client side of the neg exp problem after zammbi caused it currently working on upgrading the client
Fenik - pdex dev - people seem to have a short memory how unstable his pdex was, who else remembers having to wait 30 seconds or more for it to load every single page?
Thugie - recent dev - focused on fixing and maintaining issues in the server code that causes the game to crash, lag, and in general have memory issues.

I'll add lee In here for comparisons sake
Current pdex dev - any changes to playerdex in the past 8 months is due to him.

As you can see Er have an extremely small team 2 server dev, 1 that isn't around and the other currently working on performance issues. 1 client dev, 1 pdex admin. each have busy lives and often treat this as a hobby, aka not a full time job.

We always welcome those that have expert knowledge in c++ to apply to become a server dev.

Maideza

Zammbi sounds rather... Well, annoying.

Also. Is Shane actually working on the client, as I heard he has no interest in sharing the source code?

Just curious.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I just want to say all of you that old staff was better than the currently working staff.In that days Shane and Xanatus always used to be online.Our playerdex admin Fenniksu was there who know best of it as he has developed the system.If we will make a new playerdex also then also it will not be good as playerdex created by Fenniksu.Only an expert maker who has developed the system can make new ideas of improving the system even if others will also understand it they would not be better as the creator.The old GMs Nee,Arenya and King and affcose the pokemon creator Kyro used to work together and kept on making the game better everyday.I know the pwo before there was small screen and we were not able to see players of each other.There were no daycare,to accept battle we had to type /battle <username> and there were many other problems but it used to be very fun.I miss my old friends very much as they all are gone and without friends the pwo can never become as good as it was before.There are all new GMs,Devs,Admins lolx and all are kept on doing things which i can never understand.The Negative exp is the biggest problem and pwo staff is kept on fixing other things than fixing this error.They must fix negative exp before all errors and not promise anything like Hoenn even if they are not sure.The idea of Hoenn was announced in pwo in January and three months passed and i can't see any light about Hoenn in pwo.

I hate to be rude, but all of the problems you're listing were caused by the exact same staff you're praising. We have problems making major updates because most of those DEVs you're saying were awesome had to leave for various reasons. A lot of the problems the current staff face, well..I don't want to sound mean, but we're cleaning up after previous decisions. >.< (Excluding GMs such as Nee and Arenya, who made events and spawns just like the current staff do.)

Finally, Hoenn was always said to be planned a long long time ago. I don't know why it's suddenly got the spotlight right now, we're actually waiting on DEVs for it to be possible.

I also don't understand why, despite increasing the server cap to 800, having 2 events, 1 joke event, and having dragon's den/cerulean cave added to make it easier to level is doing a bad job. Sorry if I feel offended, but the staff this round has put hours and hours and hours of work into the game this year. I have actually seen more being worked on staff side than I ever have before.

mad30

Youngster
Shane is working on the client. From What I have seen many of you will be pleased, but don't expect it to release for many more months.

A small update will be arriving soon, but it is extremely doubtful anything of interest for players will be included.

Maideza

mad30 said:
Shane is working on the client. From What I have seen many of you will be pleased, but don't expect it to release for many more months.

A small update will be arriving soon, but it is extremely doubtful anything of interest for players will be included.

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Please note that I am tired and have yet to read replies.

First off though onto your post style - it helps not to use purple, glow and Century Gothic. If you're trying to make a serious point, then your post fails to get it across due to the style.

Dragon1886 said:
I just want to say all of you that old staff was better than the currently working staff.In that days Shane and Xanatus always used to be online.
Shane and Xan are still apart of the current staff and yet seem to be the ones always away. So are you suggesting that Shane and Xan are still as perfect as they are currently?

Dragon1886 said:
Our playerdex admin Fenniksu was there who know best of it as he has developed the system.If we will make a new playerdex also then also it will not be good as playerdex created by Fenniksu.Only an expert maker who has developed the system can make new ideas of improving the system even if others will also understand it they would not be better as the creator.
Right...so you do realise that Fen left a lot of errors and potential bug areas in the system? Just because someone didn't build a system, doesn't mean they don't have a right to build and expand on what is currently there. Infact the intention of the Playerdex originally was to allow players to create modules. I'm not saying I could do better if I was to start from stratch however the fact is, there were issues. Should I leave them there just because it's not my system?

Dragon1886 said:
There are all new GMs,Devs,Admins lolx and all are kept on doing things which i can never understand.The Negative exp is the biggest problem and pwo staff is kept on fixing other things than fixing this error.
That would relate to the earlier comments about Xan and Shane, they should be the ones resolving it. It was the 'old pwo staff' who caused the negative experience issue.

Dragon1886 said:
They must fix negative exp before all errors and not promise anything like Hoenn even if they are not sure.The idea of Hoenn was announced in pwo in January and three months passed and i can't see any light about Hoenn in pwo.
Yet again an issue that relates to the 'old pwo staff'.

Arenya

Website
www.dezeen.com
Dragon1886 said:
[glow=purple]The old GMs Nee,Arenya and King and affcose the pokemon creator Kyro used to work together and kept on making the game better everyday.[/glow]
The other bits of your quote have already been answered by other members of staff, but I felt that I should reply to this as well since my name has been dragged up here lol. During the time that you were talking about, when Nee, Crenel and I worked together to create new areas and update what pokemon are found where, it was a lot simpler and faster to do things. We were really the only people working on ingame content, the Devs didnt care what we did and the staff wasnt huge back then either, so we didnt discuss everything at great lengths. The three of use just talked about what to do with each area and got it done. It easily could have been done wrong, like it had been before (we fixed mostly the spawns put ingame by a GM in 2008 who consulted no one and just put whatever spawns they wanted in). We added stuff like the bike route in Kanto, which hadnt been put in before because a Dev has said that the map was "too big" and so no one had tried it - we tried it, it worked and so we added it ingame. We took Johto offline for two weeks and revamped all of the Johto maps because another GM in 2008 had made all of them in 3 days and they were full of errors. We got top layer "fixed" (it was working fine, but had been disabled because "lots of maps have top layer errors") and bugged the devs for 2 years and had to get a petition going before they finally updated the Map Editor and tilesets. The quests we could put in were incredibly limited because we didnt have the great NPC system that we have now. The moves were broken back then as well, they had been put in by the staff of PWO in late 2007/ early 2008 I believe (lets call them the ancients?), and they weren't even being worked on.

When you look back to those days, a lot of new things were added ingame and fixed by us that the ancients had not bothered with or had rushed and done badly. Its much easier to add areas that were in the handhelds (like routes, gyms, caves etc) because they already exist, than it is to come up with events and custom areas.

Now the game has improved again. The staff have a lot more tools now (Xanascript for NPCs, the second map editor and 117 tilesets when there used to be 16). Because of that we now have awesome quests that are much more complex and enjoyable that the water lab quest that was PWOs sole quest for a long time. We also had I think 3? events in the last 9 months that I think went quite well (judging from what people said, I had quit PWO during that time). The new staff finally got the Halloween event running that I had worked on in 2010, but no one else had cared enough about to get it ingame. The winter event was also good, and with the April Fools one I think that coming up with a concept and having it ready and finalised ingame in less than 24 hours is something the staff should be proud of. We cant work on Hoenn right now because the map layering system of PWO doesnt allow for places like Fortree City (where you can walk under bridges etc). While we wait on the people who can make a new layering system, the staff that cant work on that do stuff like events to keep people entertained and have something new every once in a while.

I miss the old staff as well, they were my friends and I really enjoyed working together with them, but the staff of now is good as well. Sure it takes a little bit longer to do stuff - discussing stuff with 20 people takes much longer than discussing stuff with 3 - and they can be a bit touchy, but the staff now have been working hard to put in better and bigger quests and events that we of the "old staff" ever managed to do.

/end ramble

In short:
- Staff that worked on events are different to the ones that work on doing stuff like move fixes.
- I miss the old times and old people as well, but things are good now too - they just take a little longer.

Also, I never met Kyro, he became inactive after working for about 6 months on PWO. Just to clear up that we weren't best buds who spent hours improving the game everyday together lol. And in defence of Zammbi, he was a really nice guy that got dragged into the project by Kyro - who then left him there as project leader. He did well with what he had I think, the negative experience thing wasnt his finest hour.

G

Dragon1886 said:
[...] The moves were broken back then as well, they had been put in by the staff of PWO in late 2007/ early 2008 I believe (lets call them the ancients?), and they weren't even being worked on.

[...]

That explains a lot. Thanks for the enlightenment. So up until recently, we pretty much had a very bad staff that rushed things and had poor priorities, if I understand? Well at least, I reckon the game is somewhat complete up to an extent, so the current Dev Team don't have anything to rush on and can actually focus on fixing bugs left by the previous team. I personally would have preferred to have it the other way around, meaning an incomplete game but with far less glitches. 10 hours of pure fun is worth much more than 100 hours of fighting with glitches.

For now, I think I'll already stop playing PWO, it's just not fun at the moment. I'll be looking forward the moment where Moves will be fixed, up to at least around 90%.

Arenya

Website
www.dezeen.com
Haneroze said:
So up until recently, we pretty much had a very bad staff that rushed things and had poor priorities, if I understand?
If by recently you mean from about early 2009 onwards, when crenel and Saberjustice said "screw this" and began organising the staff (which at that time were GML (GMs in training) and above) into different groups to add content. That was the very beginning of the staff structure we see today.

Before that yes, there were a lot of staff members that rushed things, didnt do them properly etc., but I wouldnt necessarily be calling them bad. Im sure at the time adding new pokemon and adding the Johto region quickly seemed like a good idea (they probably succumbed to players demanding Johto is added ingame, just like players are demanding Hoenn now). Some of them just woke up one day in early 2008 and logged in to find that they had been made a staff member overnight (like a GML named Daedrin) and quit not long after. Im not saying that what they did for the game was good, since at the time it probably seemed like a good idea, but I wouldnt call them bad staff either.

Bad staff are people like Nikola and co - exploiting a glitch on the playerdex to buy shiny UCs, teleporting his friends to hidden areas and spawning common aggrons so his friends could train faster and hunt for shiny ones at the same time. We literally found out about him on the 1st of April 2009, it was the worst april fools ever and demoralised a fair lot of the staff because we all liked him and thought of him as a friend. We've also had our fair share of idiots, power lovers and useless members of staff, but for the most part you cant label people good or bad.

If by recently you mean in the last year or so, I definitely dont count "old staff" members like crenel, Nee, King and Saberjustice as bad staff. Especially the first three put years worth of effort into this game. When you look at what PWO was three years ago and look at what it is now, it has changed immensely and for the better. Its always improving, its always moving forwards, sometimes you just dont see it for a little while.

(That screenshot was taken just after we had changed the map in Pewter City for the first Kanto revamp)

The short of it is that I dont think you can make general statements like "So up until recently, we pretty much had a very bad staff that rushed things and had poor priorities", and if my previous post came across as me saying that, thats not what I meant. For the most part, the staff we've had have always tried for the best of the game but have sometimes failed (especially in the case of the staff of early 2008), and later staff (like those of early 2009 - 2011 I guess, and the current ones) have had to fix things theyve done when they got it wrong. Im sure future staff groups will be fixing some of the mistakes that this lot of staff will make, thats just the way it seems to be.

Attachments

• Zain Halloween Sig.png
    Zain Halloween Sig.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 8

Dragon1886

[glow=purple]As what do you think if the Johto will get deleted by some errors or problems then how much time will the current staff take to add it again?It is possible that they will be able to add it very soon as all the maps are already prepared.The staff must add regions quickly as we can see how the people was so happy when johto had came in pwo.The idea of quickly adding johto in pwo was really very great and all the people was so surprised and happy to see johto in game.Now the staff is taking a few months in adding the Hoenn region and they had promised us in January to add Hoenn in game.They are working just like turtle and even if a few moths later they will add Hoenn in game the people will not be very surprise just like johto.Now they must think how the Hoenn can be added in game as soon as possible and think about other developments and fixes later.
They must do this follow things first before anything:
1 Fix Negative Exp its very important and must be fixed as soon as possible.
2 Fix the broken moves it creates problems for us in battle.
3 Add Hoenn as soon as possible as they have promised us.
Also they must remove those staff which are inactive.See the Admins of pwo there is one Admin name Administrator who has never replied any post in forums and not online from a very long time.There are also CGs which are also not online from a long time.No one knows even they will be online ever or not?What is the use of this kind of staff?Go and find a active player to make them CG.
[/glow]

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Dragon1886 said:
As what do you think if the Johto will get deleted by some errors or problems then how much time will the current staff take to add it again?It is possible that they will be able to add it very soon as all the maps are already prepared.
Why would Johto get deleted? If anything, if there were issues - there would likely be a different process to fixing the maps than the previous time.

Dragon1886 said:
The staff must add regions quickly as we can see how the people was so happy when johto had came in pwo.The idea of quickly adding johto in pwo was really very great and all the people was so surprised and happy to see johto in game.Now the staff is taking a few months in adding the Hoenn region and they had promised us in January to add Hoenn in game.
I can't recall this promise being made, remember Quality over Quantity - there's no point in wasting time adding something if it's going to have a lot of time spent on it again in the next few months improving it.

Dragon1886 said:
They are working just like turtle and even if a few moths later they will add Hoenn in game the people will not be very surprise just like johto.
Who are 'they'? Are you referring to the staff as a whole or a specific group?

Dragon1886 said:
1 Fix Negative Exp its very important and must be fixed as soon as possible.
2 Fix the broken moves it creates problems for us in battle.
3 Add Hoenn as soon as possible as they have promised us.
These issues will be resolved soon, when of course I can't say as different people work on different things.

Dragon1886 said:
Also they must remove those staff which are inactive.See the Admins of pwo there is one Admin name Administrator who has never replied any post in forums and not online from a very long time.
We do remove inactive staff, Administrator is a 'holder' account - much like The Auctioneer is.

Dragon1886 said:
There are also CGs which are also not online from a long time.No one knows even they will be online ever or not?What is the use of this kind of staff?Go and find a active player to make them CG.
I'm not sure of the staff you're referring to, but in most cases we're aware of why a staff member is inactive. Also as for simply finding an active player for CG, once again the point of 'Quality over Quantity' comes up. It's not as simple as making someone CG.

It appears to be the case of you would prefer us to rush things in order to waste more time fixing mistakes later on.

G

1) Would be nice to see fixed, althought it does not have any effect on gameplay ( unless you have a 4th gen Pokemon)
2) Xan's job, who as others have mentioned is not readily available.
3) Nobody has promised anything, and as Arenya just stated( and you seem to have ignored) content groups cannot add it until their tools get updated...The last time this took 2 years
4) seriously? The unused forum admin account is the default account that is created when you create a forum ( or was used by IP whenever it may have been needed by them, idk for sure). The account has no bearing on the game. And if you look on "The Team" on the main page of the website, no such game account exists... Same goes for the CG's the longest inactive is 8 days, with 5/7th's of them being on within the past 24 hours...
Some forethought would be nice before posting sir.

PS> The glow you add to your posts really is an eyesore.