Dragons den quest

LunaticJames

Content maker
Replace Zubat with Golbat on all levels of the Dragons den. kthxbai :3

^ reasoning for that is, is because of leveling, i spent 4 months getting into DD only to find out that grinding in Cerulean cave is more effective.

As for the quest itself, I did enjoy all the running around for some reason, the only part that kept me back was finding that dratini, maybe if the new quest only replaced that aspect with finding 100 drop items from rares, just like in the x-mas event, would make it slightly easier, but still time consuming.

1 x HR
or
100 x R

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I don't think he's asking for suggestions for the Dragon's Den itself, just how to change the quest.

I have no suggestions, I think the Dragon's Den quest was the ultimate, the best quest in PWO and I wouldn't change it.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
For me the only part i didn't like was having to move back between regions so many times in the later part of the quest. It is a small nuisance i know but i just didn't like have to run back to kanto for the last bit.

mad30

Youngster
We can discuss the pokemon spawns, lets start.

Why do people think that it should have higher exp given then cerulean cave? They both require 16 badges neither requires you to be able to access one before the other, if you was coming into the game would you know which one is suppose to be better? You SHOULD think cerulean cave because in the handhelds you only needed to beat clair to access them. While cerulean cave you needed to beat the elite 4.

Likewise we should never add pokemon to a place to solely think about grinding purposes. After awhile the maps would have all the same pokemon after a certain point. Likewise what happens if the exp system changes and certain pokemon then are better to grind on then others? Will you want us to change the spawns then?

Reward wise: Bagon is a top tier token UC. How often do you see us adding pokemon like that in game? Likewise I will state this. Dratini in dragons den is less rare than in science lab.

WiinolikePS3

Yes, which is why I still think that you should remove the "kill dratini" portion of the DD quest.

Yes, many people have done it, but Water Lab Dratini is certainly one of the rarest Pokemon in the game. It's bad enough that we have to find one, but making us have to KO the first one we find is a bit overkill. I'm mostly mad because I spent about 30 hours GAMETIME over two weeks trying to fish for it, and never found one. Yeah, I know other people have done it, but I feel like if you want to make the quest a time sink like that, at least make it something more like a mass number of drops, such as making the Slowpokes in the Water Lab drop SlowpokeTails, and make is get 50-100 of those or something, so that we could make progress in the quest when we're unlucky rather than making the Dratini portion of the quest based solely on getting a lucky break.

Other than that, I have no complaints with the quest as-is, but the Dratini part definitely needs to be changed IMO. I know Hitmon will disagree with me on this, but the consensus from the vast majority of the community seems to be that the Dratini Skin part of the quest is wholly unenjoyable and tedious. Yes, I know the nature of PWO is the thrill of the hunt and grinding, but I feel like having to find and KO one of the rarest HRs in the game is a bit much.

mad30

Youngster
WiinolikePS3 said:
Yes, which is why I still think that you should remove the "kill dratini" portion of the DD quest.

Yes, many people have done it, but Water Lab Dratini is certainly one of the rarest Pokemon in the game. It's bad enough that we have to find one, but making us have to KO the first one we find is a bit overkill. I'm mostly mad because I spent about 30 hours GAMETIME over two weeks trying to fish for it, and never found one. Yeah, I know other people have done it, but I feel like if you want to make the quest a time sink like that, at least make it something more like a mass number of drops, such as making the Slowpokes in the Water Lab drop SlowpokeTails, and make is get 50-100 of those or something, so that we could make progress in the quest when we're unlucky rather than making the Dratini portion of the quest based solely on getting a lucky break.

Other than that, I have no complaints with the quest as-is, but the Dratini part definitely needs to be changed IMO. I know Hitmon will disagree with me on this, but the consensus from the vast majority of the community seems to be that the Dratini Skin part of the quest is wholly unenjoyable and tedious. Yes, I know the nature of PWO is the thrill of the hunt and grinding, but I feel like having to find and KO one of the rarest HRs in the game is a bit much.

This is a type of reply I am looking for.

Would it be better if it was one of the other HRs there? or is item dropping from HRs just a complete turnoff?

Likewise there has been several changes made that has unintentionally affected this part of the quest

Maideza

Well, I don't think the item is a problem - sure it takes some time, but it's also a good place you unlock.

However, I suppose there could be some alterations of it. Maybe if you change it to "Dragon Skin", and make it something like.. Kill a Gyarados at Lake of Rage and then do something else with it.

((I know Gyarados isn't a dragon))

Or even remove Dratini from Water Labs and replace with something else, which is VR and drops it..

don4prez

WiinolikePS3 said:

this sums up what i have to say as well.

WiinolikePS3

mad30 said:
WiinolikePS3 said:

This is a type of reply I am looking for.

Would it be better if it was one of the other HRs there? or is item dropping from HRs just a complete turnoff?

Likewise there has been several changes made that has unintentionally affected this part of the quest
Item drops from HRs aren't something I'd look forward to because of the pure luck aspect of progressing in the quest. Some people found Dratini in a day, while others can search hours a day for a month without ever finding one. For me, my problem isn't so much sacrificing a Dratini instead of catching it for the sake of moving on in the quest so much as that all the time I spend not finding Dratini is COMPLETELY wasted, as I can't really grind levels while looking for it and I have absolutely no indication of when I find it, if I ever do.

The idea of a Gyarados drop sounds much more reasonable to me, since it's still difficult to find, but not to the point where you can spend an unreasonable amount of time searching for it and turn up getting nothing. The reason I ultimately gave up on finding Dratini was because I had spent almost two weeks in the Water lab spending several hours a day looking for it, and I felt that I was wasting my membership because I wasn't encountering much of anything, and I made absolutely no progress.

Having us farm drops from more common Pokemon would be a bit more appealing as well, because you'd be making concrete progress in the quest. For example, having to get 20 Magikarp scales that are a 1/5 drop rate from them. That's a bad example that almost certainly wouldn't be used in the quest, but it's up to the staff to determine the exact numbers on stuff like that if they wanted to implement a more loot-based portion of the quest to replace the "sheer luck" aspect that the Dratini Skin put forth.

Maters

HitmonFonty said:
I don't think he's asking for suggestions for the Dragon's Den itself, just how to change the quest.

I have no suggestions, I think the Dragon's Den quest was the ultimate, the best quest in PWO and I wouldn't change it.

It took forever to get through, annoyed the crap out of me, and I completely agree, I liked it for that very reason.

I wouldn't change it either.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
This is a question for those that haven't done the DD quest:

Why haven't you done this? Of course answers would be preferred for those who can actually do it, so we don't get 'we don't meet the requirements yet'. If you dropped some point during the quest, why as well.

P_Raposo

My opinion? Keep the "kill dratini" part of the quest. It makes it much more worthwhile, and you feel like you really accomplished something when you finally get in the bloody den!

Hero-of-Kanto

I've spent nearly a week searching for Dratini 10+ hours per day and I still haven't come across a Dratini. The part of this quest that I really don't like is that after all this time I don't get to keep the Dratini that I encounter. I haven't been to DD yet, but in my opinion the time and sacrifice of hunting Dratini is asking a bit much to go to the DD. From what I've read the exp isn't any better than Cerulean cave and the only new pokemon there is Bagon. Besides looking for him the only pokemon there worth hunting would be Dratini and Dragonair, which makes me ask myself one question, "Do I really want to sacrifice one Dratini just so I can hunt more?" I understand the chance of finding more Dratinis is higher in the DD but the conflict is still there.

The quest would be less irritating if you had to catch a Dratini or if this portion of the quest was replaced with something else entirely.

WiinolikePS3

Like I stated earlier, I gave up at the Dratini Skin because I wasted 30 hours and accomplished absolutely nothing as far as advancing in the quest. The sheer luck aspect of finding a Dratini is just too much of a turnoff for me. You'll find a pretty common trend with people who are willing to say "Oh yeah, that was awesome, you should totally keep it in!" when they're the ones who already finished the quest. Honestly, I think the majority of them just want the rest of us to feel their pain. Hunting HRs and stuff is a big part of PWO, but this part is just a bit much.

smokezzzz

i spent 8 days looking for the skin and still no luck and i am still looking but would be nice if this part of the quest was changed

darkdane

WiinolikePS3 said:

Maideza said:
Well, I don't think the item is a problem - sure it takes some time, but it's also a good place you unlock.

However, I suppose there could be some alterations of it. Maybe if you change it to "Dragon Skin", and make it something like.. Kill a Gyarados at Lake of Rage and then do something else with it.

((I know Gyarados isn't a dragon))

Or even remove Dratini from Water Labs and replace with something else, which is VR and drops it..

I agree with both of these statements, because I feel that since there is only one place where you can find dratini besides in the DD and having to kill it, or if there would be a different poke or make it so its easier to find dratini, it would make things a lot better. Also, to add something, I had a dratini brake the line from fishing in there while trying to find the skin, I'm still searching too :-\ So if anything can be changed on the dratini part, it would help alot out

If you want to see the thread on the dratini brake the line, go to either the Quest itself, or onto General Talk

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
To be honest, I think this is just giving in to the whingers. To totally remake a quest which has basically succeeded.. I say it's a waste of time. Especially given the effort by the coders making the quest and fixing it and by me and many others who have actually completed the quest- a quest which was already harder to complete it in the beginning.

I say don't nerf the quest, keep it as it is now and spend your time making a new one.

HeavyPetter

Haha, I see a pattern in this thread: Those who have finished the quest say "FFS don't remove the killing dratini part, do you have any idea how much time I spent on doing that and now youre gonna remove it !?! WTF", and everyone else say "Comon, remove the killing dratini part, it just takes ridiculous amounts of time and no one with something that closely resembles a life can finish it". I tend to agree with those that have not finished it.

Maideza

HeavyPetter said:
Haha, I see a pattern in this thread: Those who have finished the quest say "FFS don't remove the killing dratini part, do you have any idea how much time I spent on doing that and now youre gonna remove it !?! WTF", and everyone else say "Comon, remove the killing dratini part, it just takes ridiculous amounts of time and no one with something that closely resembles a life can finish it". I tend to agree with those that have not finished it.

I notice how you depict those who finished it, as far more aggressive.