Disconnects from battles

Nikola

Youngster
I want to open discussion about this issue in PvP battles. We all know that there's many situations when opponent DCes from battle. This is really annoying situation. Today 8 times few players have disconnected from battles. I can understand that there can be an network issue sometimes but we all know that people are doing this on purpose. When they see that they are going to loose a battle their last resort is /quit command. I want to give one of the suggestions.
-Is there any way to add script that makes people unable to quit from battle with message saying "you cannot quit while you are in battle". Only thing they can is to get AFK kicked after 5+2 minutes. Same player will ask you for battle next time having totally different team and starter pokemon. I hope working on server will be far more easy due to incoming client update. But this is one of the important "in battle" things that has to be looked into among other things. Would you rather die trying or die knowing you never tried to do something? Thanks.

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
Even if you were unable to quit whilst in battle, people will then just resort to killing the PWO.exe.

Peace-Enforcer

I don't believe making them wait until next log in will help this situation. I say when some one disconnects count it as a disconnect and as a loss.

Nikola

Youngster
Pansy said:
Even if you were unable to quit whilst in battle, people will then just resort to killing the PWO.exe.
I forgot to add above in main post to add some punishment if server script can detect what actions you have done in battle. They wouldn't do that so often if they receive 30 mins ban for DCing. People are doing that more often knowing that they aren't going to be punished for that act. It ruins PvP joy.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I think you have to realise this has been a problem like forever, and you really need to come up with a unique solution or you can be sure it's been suggested/discussed/considered before.

Currently your best bet is to do /info nickname and check how many disconnects they have on their account. If they are an habitual d/c'er then it should show up, no? This may be a pain, but if you are doing random battles you take the random chances of who you battle, simple as that. No system will be perfect I don't think.

If it hasn't been considered before- and if it's possible- maybe they could add a loss for every 5 disconnects. That way accidental disconnects won't be counted, except over long periods maybe, and the chances of them will be the same for all. However if this is done the total disconnects should still be visible- not cancelled when added to the Loss total.

SOULTAKER1994

Darcia said:
Pansy said:
I forgot to add above in main post to add some punishment if server script can detect what actions you have done in battle. They wouldn't do that so often if they receive 30 mins ban for DCing. People are doing that more often knowing that they aren't going to be punished for that act. It ruins PvP joy.
30 Min ban ? =/ wow thats gonna suck cause i have network failure quite alot in my area =/ if that happens i'd go nuts =/

risefromruins

Youngster
I'm sorry but I personally do not see how it is viable to punish someone for being a sore loser. What if you were playing monopoly and one of your friends decided he didn't want to play anymore because he was losing. Of course you would be mad at him/her, but you wouldn't tell them that they can't play the game with you anymore.

I'm all for word of mouth solutions, but knowing today's community it is likely to just result in more community watch posts about how someone down talked someone else due to allegedly disconnecting.

I personally a fan of just not caring about it. When someone decides to disconnect while I'm battling all I say is, "Well that's dumb. Not battling him anymore", and I go on with my life. It doesn't hurt your record, it only hurts theirs. If someone wants to battle cheaply, let them battle cheaply. Just remember you're the better battler at the end of the day.

Darwin1999

Yo there are plenty of players that have poor internet connection BTW and have lags LIKe me SO if my pWO stops but the server is running I quit PWO / restart our pc!

mad30

Youngster
Well, on the flip side which do you prefer?

A person who dcs right away?
A person who stalls for 5+ mins waiting on you to dc?

When it comes down too it, while winning is nice, the battle has been ruined either way so may as well have it done and over with.

MasterOfTheHunt

Waiting 5 minutes would be much more annoying.
Maybe for every 10 disconnects against you, you get 1 victory. Just throwing that out there for discussions sake.

risefromruins

Youngster
MasterOfTheHunt said:
Waiting 5 minutes would be much more annoying.
Maybe for every 10 disconnects against you, you get 1 victory. Just throwing that out there for discussions sake.

Something along the lines of this would be a much more appropriate approach. Instead of punishing the sore loser, it would simply be compensating the victim. If any action were to be taken for this matter, I 100% believe it should be in this regard.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Yes, I agree that'd be the more proper approach. Doesn't punish the better person.

But then would it be possible for people to exploit that? Let's think.
1 DC takes about 2-5 mins to get ingame. Assuming they have a good load time, it would take them 20 mins to get 1 victory.

Answer: Nope, not worth the effort at all. Think we have a winnar?

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Yes a better solution all round. Punishing the sore loser who disconnects could well end up in more people hanging and hoping you disconnect first so they don't get penalised. Best to stick with checking your random challenger's and challengee's disconnect record or going with the one-extra battle win for 10 disconnects against you option.

HOF69

As much as I would love for there to be some form of punishment against those that DC, I just don't see anything feasible. In the end, everyone that disconnects on purpose can just use the "internet problems" excuse. In a perfect world, the game would be able to tell the difference between those that DC on purpose and those that actually have connection problems, and for those that DC on purpose, they get charged with a loss AND a DC. Unfortunately, I just don't see this as ever being possible. All we can do is ignore those that do it on purpose and take pride in the fact that they're admitting that those of us that don't DC are better battlers. :)

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Disconnecting because you're going to lose is wrong, but there is no way to fix it really, even if you made it impossible to quit they can still end process. Just take it as a vicory without the rep, and grind your teeth. Personally the only reason I disconnect is if someone swaps Poke's to gain the advantage. I hate that.

dea7th

When someone promps a battle with you. It should state the players highest lvl Wins loses and disconnects. Is that a possible fix? example.
it sates the wins and loses on the client. Is there a way to code it into the battle invitation? ex[ Herpdurr l99 W123 L 0 D 9001 ] in the window promtp?

MasterOfTheHunt

dea7th said:
When someone promps a battle with you. It should state the players highest lvl Wins loses and disconnects. Is that a possible fix? example.
it sates the wins and loses on the client. Is there a way to code it into the battle invitation? ex[ Herpdurr l99 W123 L 0 D 9001 ] in the window promtp?

No reason for that imo
just type /info herpdurr when you see the request

Jhaxius

Here's an idea why not just give the win the player that didnt disconnect

Saric

Youngster
Jhaxius said:
Here's an idea why not just give the win the player that didnt disconnect
Because that would be too easily abused.