Diglett's Cave

should Diglett's Cave be free for people to hike through without a fine.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AlexLouisArmstrong

I'm wondering why Diglett's Cave doesn't allow you to walk through directly instead of paying the fine to use the transporters in order to avoid battles with digletts. I'm aware that Mt Moon at one point had a cheap transporter NPC and I can see the reasoning behind having a similar NPC at digletts cave, but why not allow people to tread through the cave themselves if they wish to save the 1500 pokedollars? I believe every other cavern in the game allows personal hiking through without paying a fee, and 1500 seems a little weird when it doesn't even instantly teleport you to the other end like Mt. Moon did.

It would probably be a pretty easy fix, just removing the stupid barriers, still having the option to go atop the ridge free of pokemon encounters. This issue doesn't bother me too much as the art of paying unnecessary fee's has been passed down the Armstrong line for GENERATIONS!!!... however I could sympathize with those less fortunate in that regard. Let's have a brief discussion on the matter and perhaps come to some agreement, it shouldn't require extended verbosity or strained thought... simple yes or no and a short well worded reply will do the trick. Stepfather is watching :p

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
It is not necessary to return through the cave in PWO like it is in the original games (you had to return through there to get the flash TM I believe in order to continue through the game). If it was necessary I would agree it is important to make it free here again. But it's only much later in the game that you need to return there for the final gym. By then you should be able to either afford the 1500 or a train fare.

However it is a fair discussion to have, when the fee was first applied you did have the option of the teleport through the cave, so I'd be interested to hear other players' reasons for either keeping or removing the fee.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I actually did have a slight beef with the fee and the quest. I feel like it's out of place for some reason, but my memory is hazy. If you give me a while, I will return there and try to remember in more detail why I thought it would be better without the fee.

For the time being, I do know it involved the high diglett encounter rate. Diglett Cave wasn't exactly a hugely convenient shortcut even before it was modified; iirc you see a diglett every few steps. e-e; So walking progress was slow. It's not like you can use a bike in there either.

Plus, having pits to fall into (and requiring a quest to escape the pits OR an optional fee) and a mandatory fee just make it...outdated/tedious at worst and inconvenient at best. It's only saving grace are the level 30s in bf3, but you need a surfboard to access there and most people who are trying to train aren't using it for its main, original purpose (a shortcut).

I do remember my solution involved a side path being a "construction/danger zone" that players could pay to enter, making it an optional sidequest fee instead of a nearly pointless inconvenience. To fit in with PWO's timeline, the diglett could have easily dug up an entire area in the past 15 years and the area is just unstable, so there are pits to fall into everywhere. The NPC blocking the sidequest area is either immoral (taking bribes) or is using the dangerous area as a money-making venture (the level 30s on bf3). "You wanna nice place to train? Ya need a surfboard, and have to pay my fee of $[number here]." *yes/no option*
"Hwehwehweh. Excellent. Just hop into a hole right behind me and make your way down the floors."

It would have a better niche this way, because I imagine if Cerulean Cave ever gets modified as planned (accessible for 8 badge training after a quest) the side-area could work as a lower-tier CC. No time-consuming quest for bf3, but the levels would still be lower than if the player had done the CC quest. (That modification is still going to happen, right? D:) PLUS the main tunnel would go back to being a viable shortcut for those low on cash.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
CheckeredZebra said:
I actually did have a slight beef with the fee and the quest. I feel like it's out of place for some reason, but my memory is hazy. If you give me a while, I will return there and try to remember in more detail why I thought it would be better without the fee.

For the time being, I do know it involved the high diglett encounter rate. Diglett Cave wasn't exactly a hugely convenient shortcut even before it was modified; iirc you see a diglett every few steps. e-e; So walking progress was slow. It's not like you can use a bike in there either.

Plus, having pits to fall into (and requiring a quest to escape the pits OR an optional fee) and a mandatory fee just make it...outdated/tedious at worst and inconvenient at best. It's only saving grace are the level 30s in bf3, but you need a surfboard to access there and most people who are trying to train aren't using it for its main, original purpose (a shortcut).

I do remember my solution involved a side path being a "construction/danger zone" that players could pay to enter, making it an optional sidequest fee instead of a nearly pointless inconvenience. To fit in with PWO's timeline, the diglett could have easily dug up an entire area in the past 15 years and the area is just unstable, so there are pits to fall into everywhere. The NPC blocking the sidequest area is either immoral (taking bribes) or is using the dangerous area as a money-making venture (the level 30s on bf3). "You wanna nice place to train? Ya need a surfboard, and have to pay my fee of $[number here]." *yes/no option*
"Hwehwehweh. Excellent. Just hop into a hole right behind me and make your way down the floors."

It would have a better niche this way, because I imagine if Cerulean Cave ever gets modified as planned (accessible for 8 badge training after a quest) the side-area could work as a lower-tier CC. No time-consuming quest for bf3, but the levels would still be lower than if the player had done the CC quest. (That modification is still going to happen, right? D:) PLUS the main tunnel would go back to being a viable shortcut for those low on cash.

I would agree this would be a good change. Make the passage free again between Vermilion and Pewter but keep the fee and the irritating quest for the sub levels. I don't see a problem with that since it is the best place to train for the final badges in either region unless you have access to the Dragon's Den which is a far more difficult and time consuming quest.

FancyFox

I have to agree, most NPCs give you an option, to either A. trek through said cave without having to pay, or B. Pay me x amount of money and you'll get poofed through. Diglett's cave doesn't give you that option, and it should. I like Zeb's idea of an alternate route to the training are that you have to pay a bit to get into, thought i don't think the price should be too high, maybe 500-1000 pokedollars to get into. Though there should be another NPC that is like the good guy and makes his money off taking lazy adventurers to the other side of digletts cave. :p Though simply being allowed to walk through the original part of Diglett's cave without paying would be a huge improvement alone.