Current state of Trade forum

zppi

Hi all,

Wanted to discuss a bit about the trade forums, its problems and possible solutions. The current state of trade forum is just plain terrible, that should be clear to everyone who has ever visited there. People bumping topics every 2 hours, countless of topics from same person, offering on dead shops, etc..
I just took a screenshot of the front page and it is just ridiculous to look at;

Screenshot here:
tradeforum1.png

- 16 topics of which:
- GREEN 9 are OK (only 1 topic/user - I did not start digging deeper to see if these 9 users had any other active topics)
- RED 5 are all from the same person (this seems to be a common trend nowadays to spam multiple "Selling X poke-"threads)
-CROSS 2 topics are long dead and forgotten (1 was about a year since last post, other about 2 and half months..)

It means that about 44 % of the forum topics are unnecessary, so roughly speaking half of the topics could be deleted or combined under one topic.. At the moment one topic (non-bumped) goes to page 4 or 5 in 24 hours, but if these "useless" topics were to be deleted/ forced away, the topics might have a chance of staying at page 2, which seems already like a huge improvement.

Possible solution:
If there is any way to limit number of topics per user (talking about force-limiting, as in user unable to make more topics than 1) I believe that would massively improve the quality of that part of the forum. As the rules of that forum state, multiple topics are not allowed and should be combined under one topic -> "pokeshops". Of course when shops get lot of comments they might seem bit messy and hard-to-read. Often an easy way to get around this is just to copy-paste the old shop to a new topic which doesn't seem problematic and certainly doesn't cause massive amounts of spam. Problem occurs when someone digs up the old shops and basically start bumping these long dead topics, which leads into people bumping their own topics and thus creating this vicious circle of topic bumping. As you may have noticed limiting topics to 1/user would prevent people from starting new shops to clear up 10 pages of comments. Solution to this could be an option to delete the old topic and then create a new one.

If there is no way to limit topics/user, I sincerely believe that admins should just start deleting multiple topics from same person, just to wake-up people a bit. Just spare the topic that was most recently active.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.
/rant, lol >:D

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
phpBB does not inherently support limiting the number of topics or posts a user can create (it can only limit how quickly they're created).

CoolKnightST

An beter trade system could fix this so there is less discussion needed on the forum. This however won't fix the core of the problem. The best fixable way how I see it is implementing an market system (using the playerdex) with or without automatic push. Something like this:

Current offers:
  • Pokémon A (player A) (stat type) (prize) (offer date)
  • Pokémon B (player A) (stat type) (prize) (offer date)
  • Pokémon C (player A) (stat type) (prize) (offer date)
  • Pokémon D (player B) (stat type) (prize) (offer date)
  • Pokémon E (player C) (stat type) (prize) (offer date)
  • Pokémon F (player C) (stat type) (prize) (offer date)

With the playerdex the stat type could automaticly be set when you enter the id of the pokémon. This way the player can't really scam the player anymore.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Jinji said:
phpBB does not inherently support limiting the number of topics or posts a user can create (it can only limit how quickly they're created).

Could you.. say...limit it to once/twice per year? c:

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Jinji said:
Probably, if you're willing to calculate how many seconds that is...

Ohgod.

Quick, to the google!

BrokenGoogle_zps3c8bf9f3.png

Well crap, idk what that means.

But, there are 86,400 seconds in a day. So just multiply that by 365 (I honestly think we could ignore leapyears unless somebody REALLY cares)
and there you have it.

Will do it later cause I have class. But you could just pull out a calculator and get results faster. =P

EDIT:
Also, if you do this, you might wanna make a topic about it elsewhere so all teh other staffs can see it easier/send out some sort of notice.

zppi

Well, 2 topics per year would massively decrease the current "1 pokemon for sale"-topic boom that is going on right now. If its possible to do, its worth a try at least!
This is not going to affect ability to start topics elsewhere, right? I do not want the quality of whole forums to suffer in sake of trade section :D Thanks for quick answer and insight Jinji and Zebra, hopefully this can be converted to improvements =)

Colemillionaire15

This would be an EXCELLENT idea to implement since the new Playerdex is almost here and would be a great way to transition into it.

I'd make sure everyone has a clean slate to start "XXXX pokemon shop" or whatever they want to call their shop.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
15552000 seconds if you want approximately 6 months per topic :p

Anyway, the reason the trade topic is in its current state is down to 3 reasons:

1) Little other place to announce shops (the new pdex should help with this)

2) People are lazy and aren't willing to put time into a proper shop/read more than a 2 line topic and thus get more exposure from single poke topics.

3) The amount of staff to traders means it would take far too much time to 'police' the subforum and make sure people follow the guidelines.

Merse

Youngster
CheckeredZebra said:
Jinji said:
Probably, if you're willing to calculate how many seconds that is...

Ohgod.

Quick, to the google!

BrokenGoogle_zps3c8bf9f3.png

Well crap, idk what that means.

If I remember correctly that means there are 7 zeros after the number.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
zppi said:
Well, 2 topics per year would massively decrease the current "1 pokemon for sale"-topic boom that is going on right now. If its possible to do, its worth a try at least!
This is not going to affect ability to start topics elsewhere, right? I do not want the quality of whole forums to suffer in sake of trade section :D Thanks for quick answer and insight Jinji and Zebra, hopefully this can be converted to improvements =)
I'm afraid it would - it's a global setting. But I was only joking anyway... sort of.

CoolKnightST

An what about an bumb system for that section? Every user can only have 1 topic in that section and when he post an new one his old one will be removed. This would also require the ability to lock the topic when his offer is made.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
We already have a "bump" system - the last poster in the topic will see a "bump" button at the bottom of the topic if there has been no response for (I think) seven days - clicking it will boost the topic back up to the top of the index.

A "one topic per person per section" rule is not natively enforceable in this, or any other Forum software I know.

Puar

Youngster
someone should code it then patent the feature for forums. Then you would be able to license or lease the software out to companies

The-Predator

Youngster
actually GMs ban people that abuse on cheats or bugs in game and thats alright, I think there should be a punishment for this kinda spam in forums as well, i mean dovee took his time to make rules for it and people are ignoring, spamming and every time new players find "x" pokemon they r trying to selling em making a whole new topic and then after they sell it, they ask for their post to be deleted -.-´ is kinda annoying and those who has shops has to be bumping their topics cuz real shops get lost in all that spam....

I think the best way to stop these is to limit number of topics per user, and guide new players to read the rules before posting on forums...

Okay now as u can see in the black frame theres this guy selling a feraligatr at 1:08pm then 5 minutes later decides to sell a sharpedo but not in the same topic he made a whole new topic for this

and we have these topics red framed they all for sell a single poke or two but still not what the forums n rules says what a shop should be....

i dont know if u see my point but i only see 3/10 shops right there

Attachments

• spam en el foro.jpg
    spam en el foro.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 440

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
There is a report system for posts that break the forum rules. Use that for people who break the rules and a GM will deal with it. Banning without warning for this would be rather harsh.

zppi

HitmonFonty said:
There is a report system for posts that break the forum rules. Use that for people who break the rules and a GM will deal with it. Banning without warning for this would be rather harsh.

Nah, I don't think this stuff is ban worthy. However I sincerely believe that if someone just deleted extra-topics (more than 1 / user in trade section) some people might actually learn from that. Most likely that is me being overly optimistic as people don't even seem be able to read.. well anything, even when it is just-that-one-comment-below. Therefore, if there is no way to limit amounts of topics/user/forum section I'd just leave that particular part of forums to their own fortune. Not worth the time of admins, I appreciate the great work elsewhere.

Jinji said:
I'm afraid it would - it's a global setting. But I was only joking anyway... sort of.

And I already had my hopes up for a sec. Oh well, let them rot I say, I've been getting these cringes on a daily basis since my return to PWO few weeks ago because of "This apple is blue" > "IS ThAT aplLE rEd?"-stuff from (TRADE)forums. Just makes you wonder how these guys make decisions on traffic lights...

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
In trying to think of a reasonable way to rid the section of some of its spam without taken up too much time of me or any GM who might also be in a position to help, I've came up with a trial I will run:

1) Any single user may not have more than 1 topic of their creation on the front page of the section.

2) Any multiple topics will be merged into 1 'shop' like topic (I cannot guarentee this will be in any decent format so its best to avoid this happening)

3) Multiple breaking of #1 will result in a temp forum ban - the length based on the number of past offenses and how bad each of those was.

The-Predator

Youngster
Chocobo7 said:
In trying to think of a reasonable way to rid the section of some of its spam without taken up too much time of me or any GM who might also be in a position to help, I've came up with a trial I will run:

1) Any single user may not have more than 1 topic of their creation on the front page of the section.

2) Any multiple topics will be merged into 1 'shop' like topic (I cannot guarentee this will be in any decent format so its best to avoid this happening)

3) Multiple breaking of #1 will result in a temp forum ban - the length based on the number of past offenses and how bad each of those was.

Option number 1 sounds great but, what will happen if a guy that made multiple topics try to bump a few of their topics for em to be in the front page??
Option number 3 seems the most reasonable way to me... seems would be something like in game, "if u spam in game ull get muted, if u make multiple topics in forums ull get temp banned from forums"