[Closed/Feedback] Festive Village: Congratulations!

Rigaudon

Youngster
Congratulations to The-Joker for being the player that placed the most presents! Please talk to the Xmas Record Shop NPC for your prize.

The playerbase also beat the staff's hidden goal of 7,500 total present donations. In a few days, every player that talked to Melinda or the Holiday Tree will get 500 tokens as a reward. Plus, for every present a participant placed themselves, that player will get +5 tokens. Keep an eye out.
(500 tokens +5 tokens for every present you placed yourself if you participated in this event.)

Take care everyone. Feel free to leave event feedback/comments about the event here.

Old:

Festive Village has always been the center for present distribution. Each winter, they send thousands of presents to Kanto and Johto. They expected the worst this year after various troublemakers attacked Icebound Town, Tinsel Town, and their sister location Festive Town. But to everyone's surprise, things have been...very peaceful, actually.

In this quiet event, the locals need you to help recover their missing presents from the mischievous and coveting local Pokemon, who have sneakily made off with all the presents before they could be distributed. If you want to help out and perhaps get a small gift yourself, make your way over to Goldenrod or Celadon.

justme1306

Youngster
Re: [Event] Happy Holidays from a Sleepy Little Village

great event ty :D

pokegoons

looks great so far good job staff and merry x mas to all

CharManDa

OMG an event, Staff you all keep amazing me... TY all who helped with it, now to wait for server so i can check it out.

Luxrayku

question why it saying when i ry to log in server down???

Animagus

Today is the last day you can enjoy the chilly winds of the Festive Village for the event will end on 12 am UTC.
Hope you all enjoyed the event. Let us know what you think! :))

parquettistapazzo

Youngster

nice event! it was an easy one (you didn't have to run back and forth through a maze-like map), but at the same time it was challenging. Maybe it was a little too short for what we were asked to do (i could only get 8/10 presents). another thing i didn't like much is that the quest NPC wans't too clear in telling where to get presents (i spent some time thinking that also festive village's delibirds could drop presents, while they only had them as held items). Part of the misunderstanding may be due to the fact that i'm not mother tongue english.

Thank you very much for your work

EDIT: i made it in time!

Relicanth

Youngster
Game Editor

Thanks for the participation! The event will be closing within few hours.

samsengang

This was a pretty great and enjoyable event. However there are several things that I'd like to address on.

Firstly, the items given by Santa presents are way too random. They can range from giving you cool TMs, to giving you some everyday items like Max Potions and stuff. Some might be lucky to be able to constantly get cool stuff from them, but on the other hand, some unlucky ones will keep getting Potions and the like, especially when some people actually spend time grinding for the Presents, it's really frustrating to be constantly getting Potions. One suggestion is that in case something similar like this takes place again, instead of random rewards, maybe we can have a fixed reward. This ensures everyone gets their fair share of rewards and cool stuff, and makes the grinding more worthwhile.

The next problem is that the Present being a tradeable item. In my opinion, it should not have been a tradeable item, as this would make it unfair for some players who grinded hard, then some players just find the easy way out by buying them. I understand that Presents are old items which was available for quite a while, but maybe it should have been 'locked' from trading during the event, or implement a new quest item which isn't for trade. I guess one reason it was made a held item was so it could be stolen with Covet or Thief, but with the Present, or at least the Pokemon holding a Present being tradeable, there's the issue where people usually refer to it as 'pay to win'.

But other than that, it was a great event overall. I really like the concept where instead of grinding on the event map all day long, you are given a choice whether to grind on the event map to find the exclusive Pokemon there, or to grind at Ice Path/Seafoam Island for higher Present drops. The spawns were okay and reasonably fit into the maps as well. Too bad there isn't a Snover to catch this year, but I guess it's because it was intended as a prize for a contest, such as the Flash Fiction Contest. The 'hidden' mini-quest to get the event voucher was interesting too. Instead of a straightforward quest, it allows players to explore more and interact around more to find this 'easter egg'.

I'd like to thank the staff team for bringing this event to us players. Despite some of the issues I addressed above, there are still some points that I find this event really enjoyable and interesting. Keep up the great work! Looking forward to the next event/update. :)

Mimochi

GM i didn't get the Token :( Sad

and i just can afford to buy a surf board then the Event has finished sad.. no Spheal and Vaporeon

Animagus

parquettistapazzo said:
Thank you for your feedback! We'll make sure the NPCs provide precise information from now on. We will also try and place more additional NPCs for the same.

samsengang said:

Thank you samsen.

It seems like your main dissatisfaction with the Santa Presents is the fact that they had a high chance of giving out items that weren't so desireable? If that is so, we will try to ensure that for items with varying outcomes that the players have to work hard for, all possibilities are at least useful for the common player, if not rare.

As for Present being a trade-able item, we had to ensure that players had the benefit of choice. If a player has joined the event late and has sufficient funds to afford the Presents being sold in the market, he should be able to exchange his pokedollars (which he has worked hard for) in return for the presents.. This transaction also gives the Present seller an additional source of income. This opened up a way for relatively new players to work for an item in much demand and sell it off for quick profits. Hope that clarifies. If this system still does not please you, let us know.

I'm glad you enjoyed the event overall. And i'd also like to tell you that I was impressed by your story! Keep up the good work.

Mimochi said:
GM i didn't get the Token :( Sad
and i just can afford to buy a surf board then the Event has finished sad.. no Spheal and Vaporeon
As mentioned in the game, the tokens will be sent within the next few days. A staff member will post a reply here when that happens.
Do not worry about the surfboard issue. Im sure you'll find plenty other options to obtain an amount of 50k required for purchasing a surfboard. ;)

Thank you everyone for making the event a success! I personally loved the fact that almost everyone were together on one map at all times and we were all having a good time, be it while hunting, completing quests, buying and selling event pokemon or even participating in the mini-contests!
^-^

samsengang

Animagus said:
Thank you samsen.

It seems like your main dissatisfaction with the Santa Presents is the fact that they had a high chance of giving out items that weren't so desireable? If that is so, we will try to ensure that for items with varying outcomes that the players have to work hard for, all possibilities are at least useful for the common player, if not rare.

As for Present being a trade-able item, we had to ensure that players had the benefit of choice. If a player has joined the event late and has sufficient funds to afford the Presents being sold in the market, he should be able to exchange his pokedollars (which he has worked hard for) in return for the presents.. This transaction also gives the Present seller an additional source of income. This opened up a way for relatively new players to work for an item in much demand and sell it off for quick profits. Hope that clarifies. If this system still does not please you, let us know.

The main reason I'm addressing the issue regarding the rewards from Santa Present is because they're kinda too random and luck-based. There's a lot of cool rewards like useful TMs for battling, Friend Ball for the Pokeball collectors, and even a bike. But there's also items such as Max Potions, Revives, and Candycanes in there which people find 'not as useful' as the other items. I heard some cases of some people getting really lucky and got a lot of cool stuff from their Santa Presents, but I also saw some people were complaining about their rewards being Max Potions and Candycanes all the time. As for myself, I'm not really dissatisfied with my own rewards, as I only got around 3-4 times of Max Potions and Candycanes. I'm just addressing this issue on behalf of those 'not so lucky' players, suggesting that if there were to be similar quests or events in the future, maybe the rewards can be fixed, instead of being really random. That'd make things fairer for everyone. That'd also make everyone happy, instead of seeing someone raging on the chat like 'nuuuu I got Max Potions and Candycanes again :( '. Hunting the Delibirds and Jynxes for 9 Presents to trade for one Santa Present can be hard work and takes hours to do so, so I can understand it'd be kind of disappointing to find out that the amount of time and hard work you put in amounts to 'not really special stuff that can be purchased from the mart'.

As for the reasoning for making Present a tradeable item, I can see what you mean. Trading Presents away for quick money is indeed a good way to earn income, especially for relatively newer players, and it can also help some players who joined the event late and catch up. But with this, it also takes away the grinding factor. Imagine one player who had to grind and work hard for hours to collect enough Presents to trade off for only 1 Santa Present, then another player who only spends maybe only an hour to buy enough Presents from other players and trade off for all 10 Santa Presents. In my opinion, if a player wants to earn some income, they can sell the rewards they get from the Santa Presents. Some of the TMs that can be obtained in there can be sold off for millions even. Some players who joined the event late might miss out on getting all the Santa Presents, but given enough time, they can still most likely manage to get a few of them, just maybe not all. To me, I see quests with objectives like 'collect xx items' as a quest with grinding factor in it. Take the Dragon's Den quest for example. The Dratini Skin may take a lot of days to hunt for it, and since the item isn't tradeable, everyone has to hunt and grind for it themselves. But when one actually finds the skin and complete the quest, the reward is rewarding, and you feel a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. However, if the Dratini Skin is actually tradeable, some people might not take the time to hunt at all, and some people who hunted for days might just give up and think something like 'nah forget about it I'll just buy one because I can'. This takes away the point to grind for it. The same goes to the event's Santa Present quest. Originally, people are given the choice whether to grind at event maps for the exclusive Pokemon, or at Ice Path/Seafoam Islands for higher Present drop rate. But when the Presents are tradeable, this might not be a choice to some richer players, since they can always buy them and finish the quest easily, getting all 10 Santa Presents in only a short time, compared to some people who spent hours trying to find Presents from Delibirds and Jynxes.

Animagus said:
I'm glad you enjoyed the event overall. And i'd also like to tell you that I was impressed by your story! Keep up the good work.
Thank you very much! I was actually quite worried that my entry would be bad because 1) I started off quite late since I couldn't really find time to write one. And as I mentioned on my entry, I also saw the closing date wrongly and thought I had one extra day to proofread and re-check everything. But when I revisit the event post and realised the closing date was on the 30th, I did a quick proofread and hurriedly sent it in, since it was already 31st in GMT, and I was afraid it was too late to send in too. 2) The original draft was actually longer than the final story I sent in. After writing the story, I realised I hit over a 1000 word count, so I had to cut out quite a lot of stuff, leaving only the important parts. Some parts may look really awkward because of all the cutting I did, and since I proofread my story in a hurry, there might be some parts which are awkward that I didn't notice. :/
But still, I'm glad you like it! :D