Chat order

Sergth

Putting new chat line on the top of chatbox is quite bad.
And I have 2 major reasons to say that:

1) Almost every MMO, IRC or whatever you imagine, puts the messeges to the bottom. That allows you see your message right near your input textbox. This is quite confusing, when you write a message and it disappears. Oh no, wait, it is on top .... see?

2) text continuity. Chat has limited number of characters and sometimes you have to divide your message into parts. You, of course read from top to bottom, but then, the next message shows up ABOVE your previous message, so you reach the bottom of your previous message and you have to look for a while, where actually next message starts, instead of continuing reading

So, suggestion is simple. Juset reverse the order of chat message being added to chat text area

Electrofreak

It was always a weird concept to me, but it is something you get used to later. I do agree it is a bit awkward and should have been done the way you suggest in the first place.

Sergth

I believe, it is relatively easy thing to implement ... dont know really, how does it work in background, however, if it is just graphicaly modified textarea, there are guides for that...
If not, the text has to be in some variable ol list or whatever, when comes into client so the problem is only in point, where the text is appended, like instead of content=newline+content you will do content=content+newline .. or one or other way...
If it is list, array or whatever, the change is again simple, where you just edit the cycle when is chat pushed from variable into the element

and if it is pushed to element directly..

well, dont really know, in what language is this client written, but in general, it can be similar even if is used different language...

This can maybe help:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8536 ... ne-textbox
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8983 ... e-text-box
http://www.dotnetperls.com/textbox-appendtext

Electrofreak

It isn't that staff don't know how to do it, but rather at this point it has been this way for so long that it would throw more people off to just go and change it now. It would also not change much, if anything. It doesn't really matter, just a bit counter-intuitive compared to other game setups.

Mooo

isint it because the game was made in Europe? i hear they drive on the left side of the road. o.o
So its not strange to see there MMO chat to be all backwords. Not to say it is backwards, its just backwards to what im use to. I always had chat on left side and chat go from bottom to top, but on here is on right side and goes top to bottom. But i'm completely fine with it.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Mooo said:
isint it because the game was made in Europe? i hear they drive on the left side of the road. o.o
Genuinely the funniest thing I've read today :)

Sergth

I don't want to be impolite to admins, but ... well, I cannot feel it different... it seems to be wierd for me, when an admin visits a topic, but his only action is an offtopic comment, leaving the main problem ignored.

Well, I have been participating on some small gaming projects too and I know how difficult is to read all and answer all and discuss all and make decisions about all the things, but ...
well, this I really don't get it, when admin has a time to get through this, answer it, but in this way as here.
Well, simple answer, even more system-like would be fine, like:

OK, good point, will implement next release
or
OK, good point Will discuss and let here know later
or
Will not implement because of background reasons. (and no need to write the reasons)

this would be absolutely fine.. only thing is to let me, or any other seggestor know, that the topic was at least processed somehow....

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I do apologise. The honest answer as to why I didn't respond to the issue, is simply that I don't know the actual reason why the chat is the way it is. It just seems to be the way it's been throughout the time we've had this client.

However, from what I've been told of the way the client handles graphical elements - in all likelihood, changing it now would be a huge headache; though you'd really need to address that question to one of the Developers to be sure.

Electrofreak

Jinji said:
I do apologise. The honest answer as to why I didn't respond to the issue, is simply that I don't know the actual reason why the chat is the way it is. It just seems to be the way it's been throughout the time we've had this client.

However, from what I've been told of the way the client handles graphical elements - in all likelihood, changing it now would be a huge headache; though you'd really need to address that question to one of the Developers to be sure.

Jinji is Ghost/Poison type and not Psychic, in fact he is weak to it. He can't help it. >: He is too busy being spooky.

Rigaudon

Youngster
I wasn't here for the actual decision on why the chat is "backwards", and I don't think any current staff 100% know the real answer, but if you would like some really small food for thought:

A majority of people who are dedicated to this community will chat while also doing something else. Of course, the game primarily happens in the middle of the screen. Changing the chat to be normal means staring at the farthest bottom corner of the game instead of toward the middle/right for new messages. I personally like it that way because A) I've just been using it for years and don't really have a problem with it and B) I like the newest messages being closer to the action.

Keep in mind that this is not a yes or no. Also be aware that despite Jinji and I being admins, we are a democratic staff and make decisions as a team, so there will almost NEVER be a case when a single staff member can say yes or no to a suggestion. When it comes to internal affairs we do a group-based feedback system so that one person isn't calling all of the shots.

Sergth

Of course :) thank you for the message, completely in hand with my "OK, good point Will discuss and let here know later" .. well, or something like that.
Althrough this seems to me mostly like "no", it is fine, my own suggestion, my own opinion.

And I am happy, that you too are for us - very poorly said, because I think I cannot find the proper words in english. From another pokemon server I came, the most of Suggestions or even another topics are not being read by the staff and asking anything is almost like hitting the wall by own head.

So again, sorry for this, little fit confrontation tone, and thank you for answer :)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Even when you get a flippant response as you did at first, it at least shows we are reading these suggestions and considering them. I hope you have enough information to go on now- the client itself as I understand it is a real pain to work on- the graphical elements not the least. We have played around with the idea for many years of replacing it completely to a more customisable format, but that is a huge task as you might expect- especially for a small team like ours that has its hands full just keeping the game running and regularly updated.

This change is probably possible, but it would take more work than you might think I would imagine, like every other adjustment to the client. I would ask the question therefore if it is worth taking that time off other projects needed for the next client update? We can and will bring this up to our client DEV, he will ultimately be able to answer the question "is the time needed to do it worth the affect it would have?".

mad30

Youngster
Rigaudon said:
I wasn't here for the actual decision on why the chat is "backwards", and I don't think any current staff 100% know the real answer, but if you would like some really small food for thought:
Let me just say this, this started with shane's clients. This was not the direction it went with Kyros client.
Edit: I was wrong this has been the way it's been since the start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYQ1myk059s

I also support this, we read from top to bottom, not the other way around.