Catch rate modification feedback

SQINI

Thanks for the heads-up!!
The game is turning out awsome!!

Keep up the good work!! ;)

ZombieSalad

Alrite so I went hunting for a shiny/uber Growlithe on route 8 and decided I'd test out the new catch rate. What I did was for one Growlithe, I would throw pokeballs leaving it at full HP and record how many it took to catch it. Then on the next one, I would lower its HP to roughly 25% or less. I did this for 10 Growlithes, 10 Vulpix, and 16 Abras. Here's the data:

Each asterisk indicates 1 ball thrown. I used asterisks instead 1,2,3, etc. to help in visually representing the data.

Growlithe:
---- FULL HP
--- 1/4 HP or less[/i

Abra:
---- FULL HP
---- 1/4 HP or less

Vulpix:
---- FULL HP
---- 1/4 HP or less

So for Growlithe, it took an average of 3.4 pokeballs to catch at full health versus 2.2 at low health. For Abra, it took 3.25 pokeballs at full health versus 1 at low health. And for Vulpix, it took 4.4 pokeballs to catch at full health versus 1.6 at low health. Of course, the amount of data isn't extremely significant, but I think it's enough to show that it's working (especially with the catches on Abra). I also want to note that in the time catching pokemon since, it seems the more I lower their HP the greater the chances of catching, which is good cause that's the point right? Anyway, hope this helps.

psylensse

As a scientist, ^this just made my evening! very nice job!!! In about a week (once I have enough $$ for a surfboard) I'll go ahead and do something similar if still necessary.

SkillFake

so far i cought s tauros with 150 balls
chansey around 30 or 40 balls each
and scyther with 5 balls
does this new radio depends on the pokemons rarity?

Naero

Sharingan said:
so far i cought s tauros with 150 balls
chansey around 30 or 40 balls each
and scyther with 5 balls
does this new radio depends on the pokemons rarity?

I believe it's more dependent on the base capture rate of a Pokemon, which are assigned to different Pokemon independent from their rarity; the lower the catch rate value a Pokemon is attributed with, the more difficult it is to capture that Pokemon.

SQINI

Another thing......are you plannig on making other pokeballs or just this pokeball...??

Fionavara

hmmm sorry to say I havn't noticed anything during this time. Still feels as random as ever when I throw my pokeballs. Honestly havn't noticed any change wether I lowered the HP or not.

cyy5113

So far I had tried to lower pokemon HP, the average pokeballs I used for the 2 pokemon are:
Tyrogue (75 catch rate) - 3 pokeballs used
Marill (190 catch rate, met 2 marill) - 1 pokeball used
The Marill I caught without lowering its HP - 5 pokeballs used
Seems like it works, even for pokemon below 200 catch rate.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Been playing on an alt account through Johto.

Every single pokemon (up to 3rd gym) was caught in 1 pokeball if I lowered it to < 50% HP.

psylensse

Don't have as much data as I'd like but here's my current info:

>>>Route 10>>>
Ekans (Catch Rate 255)
lvl 14: HP < 25% 1 pokeball; HP < 25% 1 pokeball

>>>Route 46>>>
Jigglypuff (Catch Rate 170)
lvl 3: HP < 50% 1 pokeball; HP < 50% 1 pokeball; HP < 25% 1 pokeball
lvl 4: HP < 25% 1 pokeball; HP < 25% 1 pokeball; HP < 50% 1 pokeball; HP < 10% 2 pokeballs

Phanpy (Catch Rate 120)
lvl 4: HP < 10% 3 pokeballs

>>>Lake of Rage>>>
Gyarados (Catch Rate 45)
lvl 19: HP < 15% 12 pokeballs
lvl 21: HP < 25% 7 pokeballs all missed (wiped out my team Jigglypuff :/ don't ask...)

>>>Mt. Moon>>>
Rattata (Catch Rate 255)
lvl 8: HP 100% 5 pokeballs

>>>Power Plant>>>
Pikachu (Catch Rate 190)
lvl 20: HP < 50% 1 pokeball; HP < 50% 3 pokeballs
lvl 22: HP < 25% 2 pokeballs

Geodude (Catch Rate 255)
lvl 18: HP < 10% 1 pokeball
lvl 20: HP < 10% 1 pokeball; HP < 25% 1 pokeball
lvl 21: HP < 25% 1 pokeball; HP < 25% 1 pokeball; HP < 25% 1 pokeball

Geodude (Catch Rate 255)
lvl 19: HP < 25% 1 pokeball

Sandshrew (Catch Rate 255)
lvl 18: HP < 25% 1 pokeball; HP 100% 1 pokeball

Grimer (Catch Rate 190)
lvl 17: HP 100% 5 pokeballs
lvl 21: HP < 25% 6 pokeballs

Electrode (Catch Rate 60)
lvl 21: HP < 50% 1 pokeball (missed - exploded); HP < 25% 5 pokeballs (missed - exploded); HP < 25% 9 pokeballs (caught); HP < 10% 9 pokeballs (caught)
lvl 22: HP 25% 2 pokeballs (caught); HP 25% 1 pokeball (caught)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
After a couple of weeks more training and catching pokemon I'd say the difference is significant. Some pokemon like rhyhorn/rhydon for example can still be very stubborn even with low hp which is annoying while they whittle away your team with horn drill, and/or unerringly smash at your ghost pokemon with rock blast making you use up a ton of hyper potions! lol But on the whole it's turned out to be a very effective update.

There's just one thing I would request now, and that is to fix SD and explosion so they are 'normal' moves again and therefore ineffective vs ghosts so we can catch the pokemon that use them with our ghosts before they blow up! :)

mad30

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:
There's just one thing I would request now, and that is to fix SD and explosion so they are 'normal' moves again and therefore ineffective vs ghosts so we can catch the pokemon that use them with our ghosts before they blow up! :)

Sounds like abuse of a glitch/bug. Request denied!

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
mad30 said:
HitmonFonty said:

Really you classify that as abuse of a glitch? You still have to catch the poke as you would normally.
Then my suggestion is completely remove self destruct and explosion from the movepool ingame. You already disabled until its fixed might as well remove it completely so the shiny encounters don't explode on players.

Gosuto_Imahso

Ramensnoodle said:
mad30 said:
HitmonFonty said:

Really you classify that as abuse of a glitch? You still have to catch the poke as you would normally.
Then my suggestion is completely remove self destruct and explosion from the movepool ingame. You already disabled until its fixed might as well remove it completely so the shiny encounters don't explode on players.

its not a glitch its the way the game is suppose to be, but i can understand turning things off if they don't work properly but as of now at least 25% of the move pool doesn't work at all, and a good portion of the pool work incorrectly. but ramen is right about getting gayed over by SD and explode, with ghost types you would catch the shiny... but things will be right in time... we hope...

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
lulz I guess you could call it abusing a glitch, I call it good strategy. :p In the handhelds we'd be able to use status effects and better pokeballs to better ensure the catch of these pokemon and stop them blowing up on us, using ghost pokemon seems a fair exchange here. :)

psylensse

added more catch rate data above; you'll have to let me know if you don't need anymore :p

on another note, Electrode has an overwhelming tendency to self destruct within the first few turns... except when I had Geodude facing him, as if somehow his immunity to electric mattered, perhaps? The two times I caught Electrode (solely for catch rate data purposes, if anyone's wondering why bother) it was with Geodude, taking over 9 turns. If anyone else has noticed a similar trend, I'm going to look into it more myself, but I'd be curious what similar observations people have made...