Catch rate modification feedback

mad30

Youngster
Bluerise has recently made a change to the catch rate formula.

What we are looking for is confirmation that lowering the hp of a pokemon will indeed make it easier to catch. Please note that the catch rate has been modified for all pokemon, but pokemon with a base catch rate at or above 200 have a slightly different formula.

psychosamm

Youngster
So basically what you're saying is you guys made lowering HP much more helpful in catching pokemon? Have status effects been added too? About how much more effective would you guys say its been made? Close to the original games, or maybe a middle ground?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
We believe the tweak will add significantly to the catch chance as the opponent's HP lowers; but one reason we would like feedback is to see what effect you, the players, are observing from the changes to see if they make enough of a difference.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I'd say this will be an effect we won't notice except over a length of time, since it's a chance value still so catching a few pokes won't show us the difference. After two days myself catching only jynx and one day with my daughter next to me catching growlithe and vulpix (and the occasional murkrow) only I can't say there has been any difference for the better, or if there has it's hardly noticeable. Like I said though it's going to take time and trying out more pokemon to get a feel for the change.

We have both been running from other encounters so our pokemon aren't getting stronger and hitting the pokes we want with the same attack each time. (acid spray on jynx and usually two rage attacks on vulpix and growlithe) The jynx is lowered to a quarter hp roughly and the other two to between 1-10 points usually. The range of pokeballs seems to have stayed consistent with before the change since we've been hunting here for a week or more so far.

SQINI

Please let us know if you are going to activate the catch rate modification ;D

Jacko19863

So technically you're making it closer to the real game?

damn, I havent played PWO in 4 years. Bloody downtime lol

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
SQINI said:
Please let us know if you are going to activate the catch rate modification ;D
The modification has been ingame for a good few days.

psylensse

qualitatively, yes, I've noticed a difference. I've caught a couple relatively high catch rate pokemons (I think 190 and up) with ease after damage, when in the past I could chuck 5-10 pokeballs at a pokemon with over 200 catch rate and still come up empty. I can reply next time with what little statistics I have on my catches if that would help.

Merse

Youngster
I was catching Staryus in the Union Cave. It took 5-10 pokebals at minimum to catch them when I didn't lower their HP. With low HP they were caught usually with 1-3 Pokeballs.

G

But the catch rate stay the same even if they have full hp ? Because sometime you can get a critical and lose your HR.

Naero

Lass_Leaf said:
But the catch rate stay the same even if they have full hp ? Because sometime you can get a critical and lose your HR.

There are currently no critical hits in PWO; however, it is still advised to be cautious when lowering a Pokemon's health (using a bugged move that inflicts minimal damage repeatedly may help).

As for the capture rate, the base capture rate (note, the statistics on that page could be outdated) should remain constant, but regardless of the base capture rate assigned to a Pokemon, the goal of the modification made to the capture formula is to improve the chances of capturing a Pokemon when their health is lowered - this effect should be produced by damaging Pokemon more or less to some extent.

Tha-Kram

ive been weakening pokemon for ages, and it already worked
but only when you got lower than 3-5% of the HP or so
so when people get in that area and say pokemon are easier to catch it's not all from this update

and I'm talking about catching in 1-3 balls when you get that low
it's hard to tell where to draw the line from new update to old update
i could try 25% to be sure it's this update, if that's good enough?

btw, status ailments dont affect the catch rate directly atm
but you can use them to gradually weaken a pokemon, and in the end use sleep powder to get rid of it before it kills itself

i really hope it works so i dont have to take a lot of risks anymore

risefromruins

Youngster
Naero said:
Lass_Leaf said:

There are currently no critical hits in PWO; however, it is still advised to be cautious when lowering a Pokemon's health (using a bugged move that inflicts minimal damage repeatedly may help).

As for the capture rate, the base capture rate (note, the statistics on that page could be outdated) should remain constant, but regardless of the base capture rate assigned to a Pokemon, the goal of the modification made to the capture formula is to improve the chances of capturing a Pokemon when their health is lowered - this effect should be produced by damaging Pokemon more or less to some extent.

There is a range in damage done per attack. Some can be on the low end and some can be on the high end of that scale....I personally am unsure of how that scale is calculated and what it's range is though.

Naero

risefromruins said:
There is a range in damage done per attack. Some can be on the low end and some can be on the high end of that scale....I personally am unsure of how that scale is calculated and what it's range is though.

That error was recently addressed in Bluerise's log updates.

Fixed issue where HP of wild pokemon would be inaccurate as sorts. To give an example, the HP would be set as an incorrect value which would then be corrected. However before this correction is made, a temp HP value would be set as the incorrect value and therefore the amount of HP a pokemon has till it's faints would be incorrect.

I'm not sure if it has been fully rectified or not, but my statement was made under the presumption that this problem is no longer exists.

mad30

Youngster
Tha_Kram and few others

Our intentions are that the lower the hp, the easier it is, so barely hurting it will do very little help and existentially will use the same catch rate as before the modification.

In theory it should start to be noticeable at around 1/2 hp and even more so from there on out.

bigdidy

Youngster
cool i just thought the update was just lowing to make easier but this is better :)

Schwalm

Much easier to catch now, I bring a lvl 60 down to 10% HP and it catches in 2-3 balls.

Kaiko

Youngster
Haven't gotten to test this out yet, but I will soon, and will give you all feedback <3 ;]