Bot farming discussion

HeavyPetter

I want to talk a bit about bot farming (the use of programs to automatically farm for pokémon or do grindy stuff in general). I assume that it is not allowed, but what is the limit for when something is considered as bot farming?

Just for fun I came up with the following example: in PWO you level your fishing skill basically by standing next to some water and repeatedly clicking the old rod icon. Which of the following would you consider as bot farming?

a) I have a good mouse which can be used to click ultra fast so I minimize the time during which I'm not using the old rod even though I technically could use it. When I get into a battle I press "run from battle" as fast as I can.

b) I have a custom mouse which has a button that I can press and hold. The button makes the mouse send one click every 100ms. Instead of clicking repeatedly I can just sit there and hold down the button. When get into a battle I press "run from battle" as fast as I can.

c) I put some duct tape on said button and do something else close to the computer (like cleaning folding sheets or making the bed, stuff that doesn't require much attention). Every 30 seconds or so I check whether I need to run from a battle. If I need to do so I quickly move the mouse pointer from the "old rod" icon to the "run from battle" icon and back again.

d) I put some duct tape on the button and also make a mechanical gadget that pushes the mouse so that the pointer moves from the area of the screen where the "old rod" icon is to where the "run from battle" icon is every 30 seconds. Then I go and have some coffee. I come back two hours later and by that time I have gained 20 fishing levels.

e) I write a script that sends a mouse click every 100ms to both the "old rod" coordinates on the screen and the coordinates where the "run from battle" icon is located. I go out for a fancy dinner, come back a few hours later and have level 100 in fishing.

I think most would agree that a is not bot farming and e is definitely bot farming, but what about b-d?

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Interesting. As staff I want to reserve most of my opinions, but as far as this one...

1) I have a good mouse which can be used to click ultra fast so I minimize the time during which I'm not using the old rod even though I technically could use it. When I get into a battle I press "run from battle" as fast as I can.

Doesn't matter how nice a mouse is, if you're manually "fast clicking" you still can only get a hook at LEAST once every 10 seconds.

risefromruins

Youngster
It's a 15 second cool down now btw.

Botting also involves using a third party application.  I guess D could be considered that......but that's not my department so I can't say yes or no.

Moral of the story...don't bot.

G

Honestly i suppose i see the valid point here, however i only think its botting with the use of scripts etc. And before the flaming, i know this is a bias opinion.

G

Instead of thinking of it as a 3rd party application, or as I read in a ban appeal recently " injecting" into the client. I would think of it as anything that automates the process.

Renzourin

botting is the use of ANY third party client/scripts/program/MACRO (op's mouse clicks for instance) that plays the game for you if its not you manually pressing this button then it is essentially a bot and against the rules in other words play the game how it is meant to be played and try not to shortcut your way out of it

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
Renzourin said:
botting is the use of ANY third party client/scripts/program/MACRO (op's mouse clicks for instance) that plays the game for you if its not you manually pressing this button then it is essentially a bot and against the rules in other words play the game how it is meant to be played and try not to shortcut your way out of it
^

a-e will get you banned.

BlameAoD

Bis_Eastwood said:
Renzourin said:
^

a-e will get you banned.

A) Was all manual, he said fast clicking as in he's clicking how is that bannable??? O_O

Renzourin

Bis_Eastwood said:
Renzourin said:
^

a-e will get you banned.

am i saying something that will get banned or are you just pointing out that what ive said about botting will get others banned if they use it?

also hes using a feature on his mouse that for every click he clicks its 10 or 20 that is a macro and illegal