Boosting, more of exploiting the battle system than strategy

pieoffury

I personally find boosting overpowered in PWO and it ruins the point of battles. I don't look at boosting as a strategy 'cause you don't even rely on your pokemon, your pokemon's moveset, your pokemon's stats, and your pokemon's IVs to win, but just boosting and that ain't strategy.
The only real counters to boosting that I've found were switching, proper EV training, abilities, and hold items. But since the last 3 are yet to be added in the game, there's no real counter to it unless you switch. Users in this sense exploit the battle system than to actually experiment different teams until they find out that is very diverse in battle. Just my opinion

KaiTheRageInducer

Re: New unofficial battle channel: NoBoost

In handhelds setup moves are an important part of the metagame, why should it be any different here? If you can't take the heat stay out of the ring.

pieoffury

Because this game is not as complete as handhelds games. If you read carefully, boosting moves are op and the proper counters for it aren't in game yet.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster

Most of the community doesn't seem to have a problem with boosting, aside from a couple people here and there most of which are from swag which seem to take on the ideals of Flax (not that there's anything wrong with a difference of opinion). There are a myriad of ways to stop people from boosting their offensive stats. Speed boosting is another case, but I'd hardly call that within the limits of the term "OP" as all it does is allow an initial attack on the next pokemon. I'd suggest that the better battlers adapt rather than cry foul in PWOs limited battling system, however I will say that some things are going too far, such as sacrificing pokemon to weaken the opponents offensive stats in order to boost their own and to this I would say switching offers an adequate counter. This isn't to say that switching need be used any other time than to counter abuse because of the lack of actual counters to switching.

AFLAX41386

PewDiePie_Felix said:
I don't look at boosting as a strategy 'cause you don't even rely on your pokemon, your pokemon's moveset, your pokemon's stats, and your pokemon's IVs to win, but just boosting and that ain't strategy.
The only real counters to boosting that I've found were switching, proper EV training, abilities, and hold items. But since the last 3 are yet to be added in the game, there's no real counter to it unless you switch.

THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION

ecoWOLFrb said:
Most of the community doesn't seem to have a problem with boosting, aside from a couple people here and there most of which are from swag which seem to take on the ideals of Flax (not that there's anything wrong with a difference of opinion).

A: honestly, I didn't even notice that Felix thought this way until today when I made the channel.
B: I don't ask anybody to "take on my ideals"
C: All I did was create a channel for people to use who do not wish to battle against those who boost. Rather than go into battle channel and plow out "b99 no slak no switch no ohko no boost" I made a channel for like-minded battlers. If you do not wish to battle this way, don't join the channel. Simple enough I think.

I don't see why anybody who doesn't like to battle this way cares enough to respond. If you are looking for a place to battle without stat boosting, go there, otherwise, don't.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster

whoa whoa partner put your happy pants back on lol. It's not like I was insulting you or anything, it's only natural that guild members take on some of their leaders ideals. Not like I'm shouting at the top of my lungs "I'll never step foot in that confounded channel if it kills me". Let's just take a deep breath lol.

AFLAX41386

EcoWOLFrb said:
whoa whoa partner put your happy pants back on lol. It's not like I was insulting you or anything, it's only natural that guild members take on some of their leaders ideals. Not like I'm shouting at the top of my lungs "I'll never step foot in that confounded channel if it kills me". Let's just take a deep breath lol.

That's not just a response to you Eco. A couple of people in /all flipped their bananas all over the place at the very mention of the idea, as if to create such a chat was sacrilegious to PWO. One person even left the all chat because of the argument. I just don't get why anybody cares that much.

Tendou

KaiTheRageInducer said:
In handhelds setup moves are an important part of the metagame, why should it be any different here? If you can't take the heat stay out of the ring.

I can understand you but once you join noboost channel you obviously agreed its requirements, just dont join it like any channel's requirements if you dont like them xD

pieoffury

EcoWOLFrb said:
most of which are from swag which seem to take on the ideals of Flax (not that there's anything wrong with a difference of opinion).
Don't generalize me as SWAG as a whole. During the commotion that happened, it was only me and Flax. Don't put a bad image in our guild. If you read carefully what I posted, I said PERSONALLY I choose not to battle with boosts.

EcoWOLFrb said:
I'd suggest that the better battlers adapt rather than cry foul in PWOs limited battling system
I don't cry when someone boosts against me. I get pissed when I post in battle channel "B99. No switching. No boosting" then someone boosts right in my face. If they don't agree to my terms in battle, then don't battle me at all. I don't damn cry for a petty thing like that

Nikola

Youngster

Why would you allow someone to boost in a first place? Even if they manage to boost I am pretty sure they aren't going to boost next time since you know what is their "tactic". I am failing to see what kind of Pokemon and moves you must use to allow someone to boost. Scary face is one of the several boost breakers, usually to wipe out whole team using boost you need speed and in this case scary face will do its job. There are several Pokemon which are very effective in a battle but from other side several Pokemon can boost on them. The most famous of those are Snorlax and Arcanine. Scizor will boost on Snorlax and Dragonite will boost on Arcanine. Other Pokemon can be used as example but not worthy of mentioning since they aren't viable enough. Personally the status ailment moves such as sleep are more annoying to me then boosting ones. Out of curiosity, what was the Pokemon you used when your opponent boosted and did they used any other move such as Growl before setting up the booster?

CheckeredZebra

Youngster

I don't know your team personally, but I feel that you have to use pokemon that don't see enough daylight in PWO to have a consistent problem with this. The only reason boosting doesn't always sweep me is because I have a golduck, which can tank most boosted pokemon and faint them in return. However, if a sweeper comes after I've had to use him, I'm in trouble.

I can see why boosting is a large problem if you're using off-the-wall pokemon like I do. Underused teams require a LOT of thought; one oversight in your team means you will lose. One turn of bad luck can make you lose too. But you have to take that into account when you're trying to fight common PvP pokemon with pokes that are unusual.

On the flip side I do despise the tactic because it relies on exploits of the battle system/community expectations in order to work instead of actual tactics within the battle system.

pieoffury

I know that there are simple ways to easily counter boosts in the game, but what I'm just trying to point out in this topic is to single-out those players that exploit the battle system's incompleteness. In my opinion, it's such a disgrace for a player to exploit something that lacks and still in progress in order to gain the upper hand than to actually work on a strong team able to win in battle by the team's diversity in battle.

Raimu_fox25

Re: Boosting, more of exploiting the battle system than stra

Im going to give my example of one thing that happened today that made me consider actually keeping a pokemon outside of my party over this topic.

Electrode vs Jolteon

My electrode used charge beam 5 times (which Im starting to think its not 70% but 100% cuase the boost happens every time ive begun to notice) so charge beam lvl 31 made my spattack from 63 to 189

now 189 at lvl 31 is devistating nothing that my opponent sent in afterwards even got a hit off against my electrode and it was a sickenly easy win.

if this is strategy we might as well put in Legendaries because using a legendary is strategy too. this isnt strategy in pwo this is exploitation. If the battle system was fixed and like the handhelds maybe then it would be strategy but as of now its purely exploitation of a bug in the battle system and Im firmly against it.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster

Most pokemon have at least normal effective moves against every other pokemon, the jolteon v electrode example is very poor as jolteon can use last resort, trump card, or Echoed voice and 2-3hko electrode, which could be easily done as charge beam would do essentially nothing to jolteon. Even snorlax can counter boosting using strategy. This boosting problem you guys are talking about is something I demonstrated before TMs were released quite easily, however I feel the problem has been alleviated since their addition and will continue to improve as more TMs such as flamethrower, Earthquake, thunderbolt, Psychic, Stone Edge, and some other ones are added.

Raimu_fox25

EcoWOLFrb said:
Most pokemon have at least normal effective moves against every other pokemon, the jolteon v electrode example is very poor as jolteon can use last resort, trump card, or Echoed voice and 2-3hko electrode, which could be easily done as charge beam would do essentially nothing to jolteon. Even snorlax can counter boosting using strategy. This boosting problem you guys are talking about is something I demonstrated before TMs were released quite easily, however I feel the problem has been alleviated since their addition and will continue to improve as more TMs such as flamethrower, Earthquake, thunderbolt, Psychic, Stone Edge, and some other ones are added.

lvl 31 jolteon doesnt have last resort and while I will admit echoed voice would be good trump card is also not on a lvl 31 jolt. thats why I used the example this jolteon lvl 31 had no real way to counter me and I didnt really have a way to fight it either so I used my strongest attack and slowly eeked it down. afterwards though nothign else lvl 31 could touch that electrode cause 189 spattack might as well be 1k at 31 due to low defenses and move choices

joysclash

personaly i agree with pew ...boosting is not really a strategy that u can rely for winning a match ..the booster also gives away a chance of winning to his/her opponent while he's boosting...boosting is all about chance and luck ..the booster will have 50/50 chance of winning and loosing..if i dont give my opponent any chance of boosting then he will surely looose cause he dosent know how to win without boosting :p ...and its always fun to kill boosters..for instance in one of my battles against a booster friend of mine ..he chose dragonite againat my machamp, it would have been an easy win for him if he didnt boost but he boosted anyways he used agility - sismictoss- dragondance - sismictos - outrage-sismictoss.lol his drago died..i laughed my---off..from that day he never used any stats boost against me ...btw everyone have their freedom to choose their own battle strategy thats what makes this game so special...