Better Communication of Events

PhazonHunter

Events right now are pretty poorly communicated. Fossilween is actually a bit of an exception because of the length of the event, but in general, many players, me included, do not know an event is ongoing until it has started and they just happen to log in.

For events or 'happenings' that only last a few days like limited stores or the tutor from alola last weekend, this is a big problem. Not every player has the opportunity to log into the game every day and missing an event in PWO is pretty big, because they allow far greater opportunity (economic and in getting rare pokes/items) than you can get in normal playing.

People have pointed out in chat that the forum communicates events or twitter, but neither is totally true.
- If you look at Twitter right now, there are only a few messages of events already ongoing, and some things aren't posted there at all. If you want to use Twitter as the news-flash thing, then it has to be 100% up to date and accurate.
- The forums aren't a good tool for communicating news/announcements. Not everything is there all the time, it's hard to get a clear overview of when something new is happening or about to when there's loads of other topics and daily posts that clutter this information. Let alone the fact that update news seem to span multiple forum boards and are sometimes made within posts rather than as new posts, and you get the point. Forums are just in general not made for announcements / news but for discussion and engagement, which is fine, until you try to use them for the former as well.

What I think should happen:
- Events should be announced or at the very least spoiled (so you don't have to tell everything in advance, just make it clear when stuff will happen) some time in advance. Pretty much all MMO's do this, and with good reason, because players want to know so they don't have to miss these.
- It should be clear, in the game and through the communication channel when events will end. (This was a big 'oops' with the Alola-tutor last weekend, which was suddenly gone again while many of us expected her to stay the rest of the event, she was after all, situated in the event base.)

What I think the options are for a better communication channel:
- Playerdex, although this admittedly requires some coding. You could either change part of the Home tab or make a new different one. Simple layout; Events going on, Events coming up, easy overview, never miss stuff if you don't want to.
- The wiki, though not in its current form. If the wiki can have a clear up to date front page or a seperate event page that is kept up to date well and gives advance notifications about and info on events, it can work. Look at (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page) for an example, see the 'Latest In-game Activities'-tab for the idea.
- The forum could work if the above options are unviable, but then there needs to be a seperate board, where no one can post but staff, with just announcements made about ongoing events and events coming up, with the main info in the headline of the post (dates and a name/secret-name). You can still ofcourse discuss and post about the events in a forum-style, but do this in a seperate board. The reason for all this is simply clarity and one-glance news feature without having to search or dig through stuff.
- Twitter, though honestly I'm not a fan. Don't get me wrong, I like Twitter as a form of quick messages and updates etc, but no one reads every tweet. You can ofcourse still do this by going to the profile page, but then you could just as well post from top to bottom (newest to oldest) in a single forum post or an empty web page.

Thanks for reading and I hope we can improve things :).
(This is in no way to discredit the current event on its content by the way, I like it, I like the longer duration and the cool maps as well, it's great.)

PhazonHunter

The message the last couple of days in the login-announcement is another example. Tuesday as an indication for an event ending doesn't suffice, especially not on an international game.

When does it end? What timezone? How late? Does ends Tuesday mean till the end of the Tuesday, or Monday?

Communication has to be better than this.

Dio.Brando

Hi Phazon! All of the staff really appreciate you taking the time to write all of this and actually put forth the effort to point these things out to us. Also, i wanted to apologize for the REALLY LATE response. I have been away for a little while now due to real life issues BUT i'm back now!

As for the Twitter announcements, they will be getting updated more often than they have been recently, as that is my job. I just hadn't made a twitter account in order to actually do that.
The forums actually ARE a great place for event announcements as well as updates on upcoming things in PWO. They just have to be put there for everybody to see (also something im supposed to do).

I cant say what can or cant be done with the Playerdex, the Wiki, or anything else because i dont know. That is up to all of the staff as a whole to decide upon and it will be added to our teams already extensive to-do list. Not that i think it's a bad idea because i support it but i just cant say whether or not it IS viable like you said.

The login message was done by me in a hurry and without much thought. I agree that communication is imperative. Without it, all will fail.

What im really getting at here is that I havent done my job to the fullest as i should be and i see my mistakes. I greatly appreciate you giving the much needed criticism as it only helps me excel. Again, we all appreciate your support and care for the game. Thanks Phazon!

P.S. feel free to PM me if you have any questions :D