Beginner FAQ's

accursed1

Youngster
Website
www.xelion.webs.com
So, I have seen all these questions asked often, and multiply within a short period of time.  Because of this I have decided to compile a list of Frequently Asked Questions, here out referred to as FAQ’s. If you have anything to add, or if I have made a mistake anywhere, please feel free to correct me, or add your input. We will start with the most commonly asked question, and go down from there. And just so everyone DOES know, all of these questions are answered on the rules, the wiki, and about 100000 times a day in game……

Q) My screen is black/green, what is going on?
A) The maps are not loading/loading slowly. Just keep re-trying to load the map….(Move your character) and please don’t ask the staff to help, it just annoys them because they can’t help. (If you happen to be near/on water, you can fish though!)

Q) The server is down, why?
A) There are lots of reasons as to why the server may be down. In short, it has crashed and now needs a re-boot.

Q) When will the server be re-booted?
A) The server will come up when a DEV or ADMIN is around to re-set it.

Q) My poke evolved and now it has –XP, is that a bug?
A) No, -XP is normal it is part of the coding. To my knowledge it was the only way to code the pokes so they could evolve.

Q) I lost to the gym leader, but he won’t fight me again..
A) You have to wait 24 hours from the time you last fought them to fight again.

Q) When can I fight a normal NPC again?
A) You must wait 2 weeks to fight an NPC again, and the pokes will be stronger, so beware!

Q) I have been away from the game for a month, and the NPC I already fought is fighting me again, and much stronger this time. Is this a bug?
A) No. See answer above.

Q) I don’t like the name I picked, can I reset it?
A) No. You are welcome to start a new game when registration day comes around again.

Q) My friends can’t get up early/ stay up late enough to register, can I make them accounts?
A) No. Registration is usually a few times a month, and at all different times, one of the dates should work for your time zone.  ALSO making your friends accounts is called account sharing, which is a BANNABLE offense.

Q) I want a shiny, but I’m tired, can my sister/brother/dog/cat play and look for them for me?
A) No. This is account sharing, which I talked about above.

Q) Can I have more than one account at a time?
A) Yes you may. AS LONG AS you are the only one using them, and you are not logged in to both of them at the same time.

Q) Can I use a computer program to help me find pokes or fish?
A) NO. This is hacking, which is CHEATING and is a BANNALBE offense.

Q) Can I transfer pokes from one of my games to another?
A) Yes and no. You may, with the help of a third party; (you and a friend) move any poke that you have CAUGHT (which means no starters to which you are the OT) to your other account. Starters may not be moved, this is called starter farming, and it is a BANNABLE offense. And remember, you must log out from one account to log on to the other. You MAY NOT be on more than one account at a time.

Q) My screen is missing the poke bar and I can't see the chat, is this a bug?
A) Yes. It goes by the name Black Bar Bug, or the 10-12 Poketime Bug. There IS a fix for it. Click the link below to see the fix.
http://pokemon-world-online.net/forum/i ... 227.0.html

Q) The server is up and there is room for me, but when I log in I get the offline error. What is going on?
A) There has never been a definite answer to this question, but it is a theory that there are too many requests to connect to the server being sent at that time to be able to process them all, and/or too much lag in game. This conclusion has been arrived at because of bad in game lag while trying to connect to the server (many people have observed the same thing). 

I hope this has been helpful, and again if anything is wrong on this, or you have something to add, please post, and I will update/fix.

Also, I hope I was not out of place or stepping on toes by making this.

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
I'm pretty sure some of these are stated on the wiki. As far as the account sharing goes, it is clearly stated in the game rules...

accursed1

Youngster
Website
www.xelion.webs.com
At the top, I did say that all of these are stated in the wiki, the rules and answered in game.... People just don't appear to be reading them. I am hoping this will cut down some of the question spam. Yesterday I saw the same question asked 4 times in a row.......

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
Unfortunately, people don't seem to want to read or just can't be bothered to search up on it. Worth a shot though, I guess.

J

jkk2014

Hi there, I'm quite new to this and I have a few questions that weren't answered in your FAQ.  Would someone mind answering them for me?

1.  I saw an Admin or something say that there are IVs but no EVs.  IVs are the ones that are already there and EVs are the ones you earn through battling, correct?

2.  All over the forums and chat I see "s [pokemon name] with uber [stat] and uber [stat]".  From what I gather, s means shiny which is good because of the 20% stat boosts.  But what of the the "uber"?  My guess is that it means you have the maximum IVs for that stat?

3.  Regarding the development of the game, are the devs leaning towards making all the new stuff first (gen 4 and 5 stuff) or getting all the old stuff down first (old gen 1/2/3 moves working, items, etc.)?

4.  Are there any rules in pvp battling?  (E.g. the wiki says that using Growl will lower the attack of the defending pokemon all the way the first time (down 6 stages), so are we not allowed to use those types of glitch/no working properly moves?)

5.  How does the weather/time stuff work?  Does is change every, say, hour or so?  And does it even matter?  Are there any pokemon ONLY SEEN during daytime/nighttime/morning?

6.  What strategies are currently working?  I can see that statuses work fine, weather doesn't, substitube doesn't, etc.

7.  What are the game mechanics?  Are they identical to the real games?  Does PWO have an accurate damage equation, does it have stages in stats (e.g. I think 1 stage drop in att would be - 30% and +1 stage would be + 50%), etc.

8.  Are there TMs and HMs?  It doesn't look like it but I can't be sure, I've only played about 2 days.

I think that's about all for now, thanks in advance!

Naero

jkk2014 said:
Hi there, I'm quite new to this and I have a few questions that weren't answered in your FAQ.  Would someone mind answering them for me?

1.  I saw an Admin or something say that there are IVs but no EVs.  IVs are the ones that are already there and EVs are the ones you earn through battling, correct?

Correct. IVs are genetic variables that are pre-determined, and are set in stone and can not be altered. EVs are earned through value and they are dependant on the base stats of the pokemon you're battling. i.e. You'll earn more special attack EVs from battling an Abra, and more attack EVs from battling a Machop.

As you're informed, EVs currently aren't implemented in PWO.

2.  All over the forums and chat I see "s [pokemon name] with uber [stat] and uber [stat]".  From what I gather, s means shiny which is good because of the 20% stat boosts.  But what of the the "uber"?  My guess is that it means you have the maximum IVs for that stat?

Correct, the "S" in the trade advertisment is used to label a pokemon as shiny. However, they currently do not have a 20% boost to stats - It was nerfed a year and a half ago. Shiny pokemon still have 28-32 IVs by default (and their max IV of 32 is 1 IV higher than the max IV of regular pokemon).

Uber pokemon are considered to have 25+ IVs for a stat. However, it's also dependant on the stat they possess the uber IVs for. Some stats are more vital for pokemon than others, depending on the pokemon's base stats, their move set, common counters used against them, among other various factors. For example, if a Snorlax has 25+ IVs in Attack, HP, and Special Defense, it'll still be considered uber regardless if it has low IVs in less imperative stats.

3.  Regarding the development of the game, are the devs leaning towards making all the new stuff first (gen 4 and 5 stuff) or getting all the old stuff down first (old gen 1/2/3 moves working, items, etc.)?

The battle system is more of a priority, but there are not too many active DEVs atm. Content like regions, maps, pokemon, move sets, etc... can easily be added by other staff groups such as Admins and GEs.

Admins are privileged with the same server access as DEVs, therefore they can access the entire database. Although they might not be as proficient as DEVs in coding, they are still capable of adding what is already possible with PWO's mechanics, such as pokemon, as well as adding new moves and what not by optimizing the current PWO mechanics that there are. For them, adding moves is as simple as adding the base power, accuracy, and secondary effects for some moves. Although they can add moves, and fix damage-dealing moves that do not have an implemented function, it is the DEVs who are more capable of improving the battle system and adding more capabilities to what moves can do.

GEs (Game Editors) deal with the content, such as pokemon spawns, integrating maps (with the help of the actual mapping team, of course), NPCs, items (correct me if I'm wrong on this one), etc... 

Although the battle system is considered a priority, with the current activity of other staff groups (namely Admins and GEs) in comparison to DEVs, other facets like updated move sets/items are more likely to be added before the battle system is improved. The Admins might be capable of adding new 4th gen pokemon, but due to their bugged exp atm, more 4th gen pokemon are unlikely to be added until that is fixed. Either way, when Hoenn is integrated, more 3rd gen pokemon will be catchable in the wild, thus they'll likely add more 4th gen pokemon on the token store to fill in the void for UCs. I can't predict when any of this will happen though, of course.

4.  Are there any rules in pvp battling?  (E.g. the wiki says that using Growl will lower the attack of the defending pokemon all the way the first time (down 6 stages), so are we not allowed to use those types of glitch/no working properly moves?)

There is no universal rule set for pvp battles. Rules may vary for different pvp tournaments, however. 1HKO moves (horn drill, sheer cold, fissure, guillotine, etc...) are generally looked down upon, and they tend to be banned from pvp tournaments.

Although it is true that moves that have the same stat-changing functions like leer, growl, etc... tend to be OP, this only applies at low levels. As levels progress a lot higher, it seems to reduce the effects of these moves, and they become less effective in high level pvp battles anyhow, thus in a 99-vs-99 battle, they may not be looked down upon as much.

5.  How does the weather/time stuff work?  Does is change every, say, hour or so?  And does it even matter?  Are there any pokemon ONLY SEEN during daytime/nighttime/morning?

PWO's own time system, known as poketime, travels by 3 times faster than real world time. I am not certain if there are any fixed time intervals for weather effects to occur though, but I can tell you that weather effects have no effect other than a visual effect on the overworld.

There are some pokemon that can only be encountered during night (such as Gastly, which only appears at night on exterior maps). However, other than Gastly, I don't believe it's been disclosed on all pokemon that appear exclusively at the night or day.

6.  What strategies are currently working?  I can see that statuses work fine, weather doesn't, substitube doesn't, etc.

Here is a list of currently broken moves: http://iblamelee.co.uk/pwo/wiki/index.p ... oken_Moves

Albeit, some of it may be outdated, but it covers most moves that currently do not have a function in PWO, or moves that work improperly.

7.  What are the game mechanics?  Are they identical to the real games?  Does PWO have an accurate damage equation, does it have stages in stats (e.g. I think 1 stage drop in att would be - 30% and +1 stage would be + 50%), etc.

They are substantially based off of the real game mechanics, but they are a far cry from complete in some aspects. There are no critical hits in PWO to name one factor of the damage equation that is missing. Also, stat-altering moves that increase/decrease stats like attack/defense tend to be OP at low levels, as mentioned earlier, and are unable to alter such stats gradually atm.

The stats of the pokemon, the battle properties of the type of the move used on the target, STAB (same-type attack bonus), etc... are all accounted for in the damage calculation in PWO. Also, the base power/accuracy of the moves are based off of 3rd gen (mainly FireRed/LeafGreen). However, as stated, many damage contributors are missing in PWO, such as abilities to name one factor.

You can find the attributes for moves on these pages:
http://iblamelee.co.uk/pwo/wiki/index.p ... ical_Moves
http://iblamelee.co.uk/pwo/wiki/index.p ... cial_Moves
http://iblamelee.co.uk/pwo/wiki/index.p ... atus_Moves

8.  Are there TMs and HMs?  It doesn't look like it but I can't be sure, I've only played about 2 days.

Neither are currently implemented. A surfboard exists for navigating through the water instead, which can be bought south of Fuchsia City or Olivine City for 200k. Also, there is no need for cut, because NPCs will let you bypass trees if you have the required amount of badges.

I hope this clears it up. Let me know if you need any further clarifications.

Slashard

Thank you for this topic , I'm a beginner and this topic brings me a lot of answer :D

M

Mist

I just wanted to comment on the whole time thing that was brought up. Gastly was brought in as a time spawn to test wither the function would actually work in PWO, and although it seems to have been successful, no other work has been done with this. I do hope for more time-related spawns to be implemented.

I

inileater

Mist said:
I just wanted to comment on the whole time thing that was brought up. Gastly was brought in as a time spawn to test wither the function would actually work in PWO, and although it seems to have been successful, no other work has been done with this. I do hope for more time-related spawns to be implemented.

That sounds rather delightful, actually.

K

Koncikos

I need help.If Me and My Brother Play in PWO on two Computers.We can be Banned? We have the same ip.

accursed1

Youngster
Website
www.xelion.webs.com
as long as you are not sharing accounts, you should be fine. my roommate and i both play pwo, sometimes at the same time. if you have different passwords and e-mail addresses, there probably won't be a problem. just obey the rules of the game and i'm sure you will be ok.

U

udonrorox

Q) Can I transfer pokes from one of my games to another?
A) Yes and no. You may, with the help of a third party; (you and a friend) move any poke that you have CAUGHT (which means no starters to which you are the OT) to your other account. Starters may not be moved, this is called starter farming, and it is a BANNABLE offense. And remember, you must log out from one account to log on to the other. You MAY NOT be on more than one account at a time.

ok i see, thanks for clearing this up...
but i do have another newbie question, hope you can help:
I have some caught pokes i wanna transfer, but I don't know how to 'legally' do this...can you explain for me? Thanks.

U

UBEChief

@udon: The legal answer was in the quote you posted. You need a friend (aka "third party") to help transfer your Pokemon to another account - so long as the Pokemon transferred IS NOT a starter (as in Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Chikorita or Totodile).

This friend or third party MUST NOT be on the account you are trying to transfer the Pokemon to - this is called account sharing and starter farming, and is illegal and punishable by permanent/ip ban (ip ban only for repeat offenders).

Hope this explanation clears up any questions.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
As this still seems to be unclear, it is not against the rules to trade starters between accounts (obviously with the use of another player). It is against the rules to create accounts just for starters and then trading them, though; this is what starter farming is.

If you weren't allowed to trade starters then you wouldn't see any on the mart either :p