Add ons with client and .2

BlueJolt

The past couple of downloadable clients have been a hassle to filter out all the add ons that come with downloading the client, and even declining all those services AVG still detected add ware. I understand the principle of making some profit by doing this but you can't add these services when you decline everyone. This is starting to become a trend and should be addressed.

Electrofreak

I don't have this issue.

I use adblock and download via mediafire. Try that out. Just post if that works to let others know as well.

BlueJolt

I left the screen shot of the add in posted attachments. It's really not that big of a deal it's just getting to be a lot of declines and deception to download these adds and I would like people to speak up and say so.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 649

Donar

The patcher file would be called PWOPatch.exe, so I'm unsure what exactly it is that you downloaded, but it was certainly not the original patcher. You can double check if your download is valid by comparing the checksums which are provided at the end of the post with the download links here.
To note: our installers and patcher never contain any third-party software.

BlueJolt

Through one of the links pwo provided lead me to that download. It should be looked into.

BlueJolt

After much backtracking I wasn't 100% about this link being the first add ware I mentioned but seems most likely what I clicked. I have placed pictures showing real time screen shoots of the download and run. there are 9 pictures I will post 3 threads to show you the process. sorry if the first pics are out of order preview wont show me order.

Attachments

• Screenshot 3.png
    Screenshot 3.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 624
  • Screenshot 4.png
    Screenshot 4.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 624
  • Screenshot 5.png
    Screenshot 5.png
    139 KB · Views: 624

BlueJolt

Post 2 of 3.....

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    168.6 KB · Views: 624
  • Screenshot 7.png
    Screenshot 7.png
    199 KB · Views: 624
  • Screenshot 6.png
    Screenshot 6.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 624

BlueJolt

post 3 of 3......

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    247.3 KB · Views: 624
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    120.8 KB · Views: 624

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The button you clicked wasn't an actual download button, but an advertisement. As a result, what you downloaded was not the PWOPatcher itself, but another program called EZDownloader. EZDownloader is one of many tools certain download sites advertise as a way to make downloads "faster and more reliable", but actually it contains adware and installs ads to the computer as well in order to allow the download site to secretly generate money from your downloads. The confusion probably arose because the advert looked so similar to the actual download button. Note that the warning given by your Internet Browser stated the download came from "groupsetupmyjob.org" rather than devhost, which should have been a dead giveaway.

Official PWO Installers and Patchers will never contain adware, or any other kind of software nasties. If you find yourself being asked to download something other than PWO itself when you download or run software even from an official link, stop immediately and verify the downloaded file is genuine - and if in any doubt, try another mirror.

Interestingly, your screenshots DID reveal that there was a slight problem with one of the mirrors, in that the DevHost 2 mirror showed the download as having a different file name to that used by all the other mirrors (the correct file name should be PWOPatch.exe). Although the genuine download link provided by the mirror was safe, to prevent confusion, the link to this mirror has been temporarily removed.

Nikola

Youngster