Account reset?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The current plan is existing beta accounts will NOT be wiped; but will be moved to their own dedicated server which will not be updated (or only minor updates). Meanwhile a new server will go live as the "main", stable server; which will always have the latest game but for which new accounts, or new data must be made. This plan may change in future however, depending on events that occur up to the time of a stable release.

Thychiz

Jinji said:
The current plan is existing beta accounts will NOT be wiped; but will be moved to their own dedicated server which will not be updated (or only minor updates). Meanwhile a new server will go live as the "main", stable server; which will always have the latest game but for which new accounts, or new data must be made. This plan may change in future however, depending on events that occur up to the time of a stable release.

This was quite interesting to hear, I had no idea that our accounts are not planned to be transferred to the new game. Is that info publicly available anywhere? I must have completely overlooked it.
It's a shame :(
But who knows, anything could change by the time the new client is ready for release. Wars have been fought and won in less time :p

Naero

Thychiz said:
Jinji said:

This was quite interesting to hear, I had no idea that our accounts are not planned to be transferred to the new game. Is that info publicly available anywhere? I must have completely overlooked it.
It's a shame :(
But who knows, anything could change by the time the new client is ready for release. Wars have been fought and won in less time :p

To note, the possibility of an account wipe will not necessarily coincide with the release of a new client. The client and database are separate, thus the existing database could easily be salvaged for the new client.

Once the game advances out of the beta stage, that is ultimately when a database wipe is planned, to my knowledge (which should still be stressed, the plan is subject to change, and there is still a lot of time before that point is reached). It will require more progressive improvements, more than just the release of a new client, to reach a standard that can transcend the beta stage. However, due to the interdependence between the server and client - requiring joint changes down the lines - a new, usable client is a step into that direction, since the current one can not be developed any further.

Merse

Youngster
And so, you would ruin the effort of those who spent thousand of dollars to get tokens and get certain Pokemon with it. I already said in the past and I can only repeat: This would be simply unacceptable, and you would lose about 50% of your community instantly, from which 90% would be veterans.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
I believe we have also stated in the past, nothing is set in stone.

Merse

Youngster
Indeed you did. But i is important to influence you as much as possible :p

Algiers

Merse said:
And so, you would ruin the effort of those who spent thousand of dollars to get tokens and get certain Pokemon with it. I already said in the past and I can only repeat: This would be simply unacceptable, and you would lose about 50% of your community instantly, from which 90% would be veterans.

Oh, who cares? I have little respect for those who donate only to get advantages over others. If they lose their store-bought Pokemon, they just have to suck it up - after all, they still helped keep PWO up, didn't they? O:)

On the other hand, the "keep beta server, add empty normal server" idea is quite fair to all sides involved. Though either way, it is probable that future generations will have to worry about this. :p

Unhallowed

I think it would be a good idea to just open a second server for new players, and keep Sapphire the way it is, but updated.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I fully support a fresh start if we ever go out of beta. It doesn't make sense to me to bring a whole lot of baggage along from the test version of the game. Granted a lot of us have put a lot of time and effort into making that baggage but it's still baggage. And keeping the old server alive for us to continue to use this version indefinitely is a great compromise.

Saric

Youngster
Merse said:
Wipes are commonplace when a game gets out of beta. Why should this one be any different?

I like the idea, actually. There is so much illegal money and pokemon in the game.
It'd be best to wipe it after a lot of easier exploits are taken care of.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Saric said:
Merse said:
Wipes are commonplace when a game gets out of beta. Why should this one be any different?
Some MMO betas even wipe accounts DURING the beta period, sometimes several times. But we at PWO vowed long ago never to do that unless it is really the only option, as a courtesy to all our players and as a response to how frustrating data wipes can be.

ScruffyHusky

Saric said:
Merse said:

Mainly because other games don't stay in beta for this long?

Thychiz

Algiers said:
Oh, who cares? I have little respect for those who donate only to get advantages over others. If they lose their store-bought Pokemon, they just have to suck it up - after all, they still helped keep PWO up, didn't they? O:)

On the other hand, the "keep beta server, add empty normal server" idea is quite fair to all sides involved. Though either way, it is probable that future generations will have to worry about this. :p

I donate to help support the game, and to get the cool looking shinies I wanted, Not to "win". +15 IV pokemon do not give you an "advantage" over people who battle with epics. So give it a rest.
Don't forget it's not only the "store bought" pokemon that you so clearly loathe, The people who spent months or even years farming a S VR or S HR will lose them as-well ;)

Merse said:
Thychiz likes this post.

ScruffyHusky said:
Thychiz likes this post.

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
Thychiz said:
Algiers said:

I donate to help support the game, and to get the cool looking shinies I wanted, Not to "win". +15 IV pokemon do not give you an "advantage" over people who battle with epics. So give it a rest.
Don't forget it's not only the "store bought" pokemon that you so clearly loathe, The people who spent months or even years farming a S VR or S HR will lose them as-well ;)

Merse said:
Thychiz likes this post.

ScruffyHusky said:
Thychiz likes this post.

This is not Facebook. There is no need to for it.

Thychiz

Pansy said:
Thychiz said:
Algiers said:

Merse said:
Thychiz likes this post.

ScruffyHusky said:
Thychiz likes this post.

Stating that I agree with somebody's post? ... Okay no worries, won't happen again CG.

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
Thychiz said:
Pansy said:
Thychiz said:
Algiers said:

Merse said:
Thychiz likes this post.

ScruffyHusky said:
Thychiz likes this post.

Stating that I agree with somebody's post? ... Okay no worries, won't happen again CG.

A simple 'I agree with both Merse and ScruffyHusky' will do ;)

Merse

Youngster
A wipe would be understandable, if
1) there wouldn't have been tokens, membership etc, which encouraged people to spend money on this game - even in the form of donation,
2) if the game wouldn't be in beta for several years. During this time many players spent more than one thousand hours with this game! They literally spent months (day and night) with leveling, hunting, trading. GhostofSanity spent the half of his PWO career in the Powerplant to get a S Pikachu.

If you would ask those who spent so much time and in some cases money, if would they go back to play through the well-known path of the 16 (24? 32?) gyms, if they would want to spend months on finding a S VR/HR, if they would throw away everything what they worked on so hard, I'm sure all of them would say no.
Or they have another choice: They could become second-grade players with an old server with limited maintenance and limited, next to nothing updates.
I know I would chose a third option: I would quit.
I think the devs should make a vote about this, just to test the option of the community :)

Calling PWO a Beta is a great excuse for the bugs, the severs issues, the lack of other regions, the broken moves etc. But we must face the fact: PWO is up for too long to be considered a beta. Let's call it what it is: A great game with a rich history, but with bugs, mistakes, and fortunately many many room for further development. But beta? NO WAY!

Boora

Youngster
before you rage and start panicking, with the rate the updates are coming i assume that the game will go out of beta in at least 2-3 years or more
new client,hoen,the crashes and TONS and TONS of backround work that we as players dont even know about
and ontop of all o that, i Highly doubt that the Staff will wipe all the accounts unless they HAVE NO CHOICE
because there's no point in doing so, if the "Alpha" version cant support the old database, there's no point in keeping it , cause there will hardly be people on the new server
everyone will rather stick to the old one and the stuff they have.
that's why i think if they cant move the database to the "alpha" server when ever its ready, just wipe it, no point in keeping 2 servers it'll just devide the players