About night shade

CrimsonSapphire

Hi i just used night shade by gastly and it seem depends on physical. I thought ghost attack has been update to special?

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Night Shade and seismic toss are now typeless, meaning they can hit literally anything.
I have no idea if "typeless" has either a physical or special att designation though. Never asked!
Not that I doubt your own personal testing.

CrimsonSapphire

Oh thanks for the reply zeb
I test it with gastly using night shade on metapod. When he use harden the night shade become lower and lower

Tabaru

Also, I believe Night Shade is heavily underpowered - It does less damage than Lick (20 power) on my Gastly. I realize the moves and a lot of other things are a work in progress, but I wonder why Night Shade was given such a low Power value in the first place.

Naero

According to the moves list on the PWO wiki, Night Shade is set at 50 base power. Assuming that it produces its damage output based off of special attack, it should not produce a more minute damage output than Lick, unless Lick is used on a type it has a 2x advantage against - in which case, its 30 base power (including the STAB boost) multiplied by two would equate to 60 base power, 10 more than Night Shade.

As Zebra hinted, it is rather ambiguous whether moves with "Typless" damage would fall under the Physical or Special classification, but assuming it is set as physical by default, that could explain why Night Shade outputs less damage -- simply due to the inferior physical attack base of Gastly, compared to its offensive power off of its special moves.

Tabaru

Thanks, Naero. I'm assuming it has to do with "typeless" moves using physical stats and Gastly having inferior Attack, then, since Lick does more damage even when it's not super effective.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Tabaru said:
Thanks, Naero. I'm assuming it has to do with "typeless" moves using physical stats and Gastly having inferior Attack, then, since Lick does more damage even when it's not super effective.
'

That's exactly right.