A activity suggestion

GawertyXL

Okay. So after some thought, i've come to realize that I don't think the PWO Forums will ever become anything similar to the activity it once had. Of course, I can always be wrong, such is human nature after all. I just have this feeling that unless PWO were to actually truly invest into making the forums more known or push it out there more, the activity would come back, so I had some ideas on how to do this, and if all else - a ultimate fall-back.

I realize I am essential pulling the equivalent of a wall-of-text, even though most of this information really is relevent, as I understand, a lot of people are quite lazy. You don't like to read sometimes (Satirical Comment, calm down) so I will do the honors of writing a tl;dr so you can understand easier and faster and save you time, although I really recommend reading the full thread!

TL;DR - Basically, there is a high-need for the game to generate activity - this community is a waste-land compared to what it once was, and I can tell that based on my lurkings from the years past. We've got the game-client updates finally, and the playerdex is steadily updated, but it seems as if after the drama during the 2014 war (As I like to call it) that a lot of the care for the forums collapsed, people don't truly seem nearly as interested about it, I put 6 ideas that could get the forums rolling, that involve players and staff alike, and a fall-back that I don't expect to be met with much gusto currently. If you want to get the full idea, all of the information is below!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) So, as I was last aware, the PWO client hasn't ever really made use of linking any websites to the client except for on the login screen, this is nice and all, but a lot of people only use that register button once, and completely ignore the forum button. As can be noted, there isn't a whole lot of need to go on a Forum if substantial updates and news isn't really posted anymore. As I am sure many will remember, back in 2012-2014 there were plenty of Forum Announcements, but not really any client updates minus the content that was added or the updates that Shane performed during his short stint when he returned. You've got the client updates and slow but steady playerdex updates, perhaps it'd be time to look into reevaluating what PWO as a staff team does for the PWO Forum. This first idea comes from the fact that now that Client Updates (Appear) really possible, given the updates that have been seen, perhaps it'd be possible to 'advertise' the forum on more than just the login screen, perhaps have hourly announcements by 'Server' about the forums containing all sorts of troves of information and discussions (circa-2015 this would have been the case, before activity decline truly) - these Server based announcements would serve well in allowing members of yonder and members that are new into coming into the forum.

2) I mentioned the fact that around two years ago, there would constantly be update post on a wide-range of topics by the Staff of then. Yes, you still maintain update logs, and yes you still provide some informational post under announcements... but it isn't enough! I feel as if there is boundless things you guys could write about and post an announcement for, and link it on the main page like you guys used to, and it would greatly benefit forum activity! Think about it at least...ne?

3) This shouldn't fall on just the Staff either, consider the fact that those of us who actually return to the forums remember days where there where well-over 100 members on the forums at once, there was a well-devouted reason for this, simply due to the amazing amount of discussion. As a user, you should be thinking of things to talk about and write about, that will actually generate discussion, the first step to regaining activity, is generating a buzz!

4) I think it is high time the complaints box be removed, or at least threads that have served their purpose be hidden from the regular player, think of it like this - If a new player who potentially could become a great forum-dweller joins the forums (Via registering through playerdex of course) said potential forum-dweller could really get turned away from the forums, and potentially the game, by the negativity in some of those thread, yes I know it was a necessity due to a lot of old (and no longer 'active' players) causing a stink, we are good at that after-all.. and now that I think about it, perhaps the complaint box shouldn't be removed, but at-least remove all of the threads that are looked from the public eye, because honestly if I were a new-player that read some of the hate put in those threads, i'd probably leave sooner rather than later.

5) I feel that there are a few 'aesthetics' that could be reworked into the forums, you know.. we have a good forum, but the issue is, it's been the same (Minus the sidebar additions, good job on that) for nearly 4 years. Don't you think it might be high time either a mass-forum update occured (this would certaintly generate buzz like none other) and some more specialized systems were added? Can you imagine the idea of a trophy like system added to the forums, which would actually encourage all sorts of activity to gain said trophys? I know there are people who love this type of thing, seriously, think about it!

Finally,

6) What happened to the days, where we as players, and you as staff willingly got into intellectual debates about the game or not even related to the game? What happened to the days where there were a lot of forum games being played (That weren't the chain game... Sorry JInji!) We've always had boards that were more dead than others, but I mean.. This could all be fixed. It'll take some work from the staff and some work from the players, but this could actually happen... and the forums could become a place that would really flourish, like it used to.

Lastly, I have an ultimate fall-back that I mentioned prior.

This isn't something i'd really truly see happening at this point in time for the game, as these things take a certain level of man-power, dedication, willingness, and of course, the one true evil sin... Money.

Perhaps if none of this works, and the forums never truly pick up pace like they used too... maybe it'd be time to consider going back to a forum much more similar to the forums of circa-2011 - You know... the one with some seriously nice features, the really unique profile options, the post limit boards and the like...? I know there was a big reason as to why you guys moved back then, but I can't really see this being the case anymore, I know for a fact the PWO server doesn't crash nearly as bad as it used to, and I know for a fact that while this forum is rather slow at loading, at least on my chromebook... that the forums themselves aren't crashing nearly as much anymore either. If I recall, the map server was a part of the forum server at that time... I don't think that is the case anymore, but if it is, maybe you'd think about resituating that? You've got the developer power as far as the public eye can see.

It's time to make a change, while there is still time.

Pokemon World Online has the potential to rise up (I honestly expect great things from PWO Client Version 2.0.0) back to a standing it once had...

Let's generate discussion on this, players and staff alike, ne?

Cheers, thanks for reading!