Shiny Pokêmons With Membership

T

TobitAnselm

hi

what's the chance of encountering shinies with membership?

1/1000, right?

Saric

Youngster
[quote name='Jinji' timestamp='1315158753' post='2027']

It's 1 in 2020.

[/quote]

Some of the staff have been saying that the normal chance is 1/8192 like the games, but i've no clue if there's any truth to that.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
[quote name='Saric' timestamp='1315176163' post='2053']Some of the staff have been saying that the normal chance is 1/8192 like the games, but i've no clue if there's any truth to that.[/quote]

Alas, it's a myth that's become somewhat accepted as truth I fear. People probably believe it because the actual amount is so close, but in this case the chance is actually 1/8080 - unless something's been changed in the last month.

Back when Kyro still led PWO, the two of us used to discuss plans for the game rather regularly. Shiny Pokémon was briefly a topic of one of these discussions, with Kyro even explaining to me how they're calculated - I've forgotten a lot of it, but I still remember what the probabilities are and they've never changed since their introduction. The calculations are completely different to those used in official Pokémon games, but surprisingly still give results closely similar, proving Kyro wasn't always a bad coder.

GrumpyOptimist

Alas, it's a myth that's become somewhat accepted as truth I fear. People probably believe it because the actual amount is so close, but in this case the chance is actually 1/8080 - unless something's been changed in the last month.

Back when Kyro still led PWO, the two of us used to discuss plans for the game rather regularly. Shiny Pokémon was briefly a topic of one of these discussions, with Kyro even explaining to me how they're calculated - I've forgotten a lot of it, but I still remember what the probabilities are and they've never changed since their introduction. The calculations are completely different to those used in official Pokémon games, but surprisingly still give results closely similar, proving Kyro wasn't always a bad coder.

I'm the person who started this. I was DIRECTLY TOLD BY CRENEL that the chance was changed to 1/1892 a few months ago via a staff-only chat. He corrected me when I had told a user it was 1/8080, so if we're all conflicted on that, it'd be nice to know the correct amount. I was under the impression it was changed due to mathematical reasons.

M

Mist

[quote name='GrumpyOptimist' timestamp='1315445489' post='2412']

I'm the person who started this. I was DIRECTLY TOLD BY CRENEL that the chance was changed to 1/1892 a few months ago via a staff-only chat. He corrected me when I had told a user it was 1/8080, so if we're all conflicted on that, it'd be nice to know the correct amount. I was under the impression it was changed due to mathematical reasons.

[/quote]

If it was changed to 1/8192 for the standard probability, then wouldn't the membership probability need to be changed to 1/2048?

mad30

Youngster
[quote name='Mist' timestamp='1315666023' post='2707']

If it was changed to 1/8192 for the standard probability, then wouldn't the membership probability need to be changed to 1/2048?

[/quote]

ive been told that membership is 1/2048...

i blame jinji for the mix up, y, cuz hes a ghost and cant touch me.

GrumpyOptimist

[quote name='Jinji' timestamp='1315764086' post='2829']

If there WERE any changes, neither me nor Lee were made aware of them.

[/quote]

I was just corrected by Crenel. I'd suggest getting in contact with him.

RawrSean

According to the leaked Server.cfg (By Zidonuke):

ShinyChance=8192

ShinyChanceMembers=2048

I Really suggest that someone with db access just simply look in server.cfg.