Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NPC Trainers not visible
I am currently using v.1.97.2 and logged in with a character currently in Johto.  I'm noticing most of the NPC Trainers are not visible.  They still come up and challenge me if I get close to where they are, I just can't see them until they do.  It's like when encountering the invisible trainers in Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town.  A few trainers that use the Old Man avatar do appear on the screen, but that's it.
I believe running PWO as an administrator should fix this issue.
[Image: Isguros.gif]
[Image: done11.png]

(03-07-2018, 01:40 AM)Isguros Wrote: I believe running PWO as an administrator should fix this issue.
Okay, that worked for me.  But I don't give any of my kids administrator rights on the computers in our house, so does that mean when they play they are going to be unable to see the Trainer NPCs now?
What can happen sometimes on PCs running Windows Vista and higher, is that when you run PWO in a limited user account, if PWO has been installed to a restricted folder such as "Program Files" (as is the default), for security purposes Windows redirects some calls so that PWO doesn't actually load images from the installation folder, but instead from a temporary cache. This cache can sometimes miss out certain graphics, making them not appear.

Running the game as an Administrator forces Windows to update this cache, meaning that the graphics should then load up even if the game is then played on a limited user account. For this reason, if you don't want to give other people Administrator access, it is recommended you run the game once as an Administrator and spend some time exploring as much of the in-game world as possible, to allow Windows to copy over all the graphics. (I also recommend this if you download a new client skin and are using it for the first time)
- Jinji the Gengar
PWO Administrator. Website Designer. Writer. Role-Player.
Also on: DeviantArt - Patreon - Sanitarium.fm (as Crimsonshade)

[Image: Jinji.gif]
Signature changes each refresh.
View all my sigs!
Made me a signature which isn't in my gallery? Or want to change the name, description, or add a missing credit? Just PM me!
Would it be possible to prevent both this issue from occurring as well as having to go through tedious sightseeing by installing PWO in a more unrestricted folder, If that's even something that exists?
[Image: Isguros.gif]
[Image: done11.png]

(03-07-2018, 11:53 PM)Jinji Wrote: What can happen sometimes on PCs running Windows Vista and higher, is that when you run PWO in a limited user account, if PWO has been installed to a restricted folder such as "Program Files" (as is the default), for security purposes Windows redirects some calls so that PWO doesn't actually load images from the installation folder, but instead from a temporary cache. This cache can sometimes miss out certain graphics, making them not appear.

Running the game as an Administrator forces Windows to update this cache, meaning that the graphics should then load up even if the game is then played on a limited user account. For this reason, if you don't want to give other people Administrator access, it is recommended you run the game once as an Administrator and spend some time exploring as much of the in-game world as possible, to allow Windows to copy over all the graphics. (I also recommend this if you download a new client skin and are using it for the first time)
I am using Windows 7, and have PWO installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Pokemon World Online.  

I ran the game as an administrator, wandered around the immediate area, then shut down the game and restarted, this time not as an administrator.  The same NPC Trainers I just saw a moment ago were invisible again.  So that didn't help.

I had my kids log into the computer and then run PWO and they did NOT experience the same problem.  None of them had any problem seeing the NPC Trainers.  In fact, when I logged into PWO from their Windows login, I didn't experience the problem either! 

I guess since I am the only one who experiences this problem and I can use Run as Administrator, the problem is solved for us.  My kids play more than I do anyway.  But if anyone else can duplicate this problem it may still be worth trying to determine the root cause before anyone else runs into the issue.
(03-08-2018, 01:39 AM)Isguros Wrote: Would it be possible to prevent both this issue from occurring as well as having to go through tedious sightseeing by installing PWO in a more unrestricted folder, If that's even something that exists?

Of course, Isg. One example would be your own My Documents folder. It's unusual, but nothing stops you from trying it.
- Jinji the Gengar
PWO Administrator. Website Designer. Writer. Role-Player.
Also on: DeviantArt - Patreon - Sanitarium.fm (as Crimsonshade)

[Image: Jinji.gif]
Signature changes each refresh.
View all my sigs!
Made me a signature which isn't in my gallery? Or want to change the name, description, or add a missing credit? Just PM me!