Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downloading PWO
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this community and was brought here mainly in looking for my next Pokémon craving. I found this game just looking around and I am very interested in trying it out. But I was wondering if there was a way of making this game portable, such as installing it on a USB. Now keep in mind that this means no installing to a personal computer and copying files, like many people will probably tell me. I mean just straight up installing onto a flash drive or downloading all the files onto a flash drive. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me!
Hi,

The short answer to this is "yes and no". PWO actually doesn't care where it is installed for the most part - it will run no matter where it is placed; and most of its configuration is stored in ini files in the root folder or the active skin's folder (though some of the Options, such as sound options, are stored in the active user's Documents folder instead).

However, PWO makes use of a number of DLLs that have to be registered to the system for the software to function effectively. Because of this, the software cannot be made truly portable, as the files need to be registered to each PC the game is played on. The installer does this process automatically for the PC it is ran on. You CAN do this process yourself, using the steps outlined in Solution B here: http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php/Failed_to_init_direct3d, but it will have to be repeated on any new PC.
- Jinji the Gengar
PWO Administrator. Website Designer. Writer. Role-Player.
Do you play Dungeons & Dragons? Fancy listening to or being part of a live radio campaign? PM me for details!

Also on: DeviantArt - Patreon - Sanitarium.fm (as Crimsonshade)
[Image: Jinji.gif]
Signature changes each refresh.
View all my sigs!
Made me a signature which isn't in my gallery? Or want to change the name, description, or add a missing credit? Just PM me!