Wondering

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
Should wild Smeargle use the move struggle? Had a wild one kill itself with this and it didn't sketch it from me. It was vs a Delibird that has icebeam, present and rapid spin. Just wondering if this should happen or its how it should work.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Just to be cleear, are you saying the smeargle didn't use sketch at all? And didn't sketch a move then run out of PP normally?
Or did it try the move and fail because you were throwing a pokeball instead of making a move?
Or was the smeargle faster than your first pokemon and move first?
If sketch did fail for some reason it has only 1PP so it would then use struggle every move after that.

If this is what happened next time use a move first before trying to catch it to give you more time before it starts using struggle.
If you still think it's a glitch let me know and I'll do some tests myself to try and replicate it before passing it on to a DEV.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
I threw one pokeball and it used sketch which failed, then it started using struggle.
I always just throw pokeballs and this is the first time this happened with smeargle. Caught 2 others before with just throwing pokeballs with sketch failing and this was the first time I seen one use struggle. Will use a move going foward but is that the only counter to prevent struggle or can something else be done?

Boora

Youngster
Hey ramens, long time, i think using a move isn't a bad idea, personally haven't been smeargle hunting in years so can't be much help, just wanted to say hello!
And update your collection, would be nice to see :)

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
Hey, yea will stick to using a moves on smeargle i decide to catch from now on.
And since I came back started and completed licki, pony and staryu sets. Nothing much of note other than my 2nd star which was t3 in olivine a few weeks ago.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
The only other thing I would suggest is using spore to put it to sleep or thunder wave to paralyse it. Both are risky however, I think using a move that has a lot of PP that won't bother you much while you're throwing your best pokeball at it would be the best option. Or let it sketch and then paralyze it. :)