Top battlers and stale competition

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I just thought of a way to address the issues of newbie to vet gaps and staleness in the PvP scene with one fell swoop.

The top battlers would be determined by the wins gained per year, not from all time. This lets great but slightly newer battlers directly compete with vets for a title. Instead of having to catch up with literally 5,000 wins, they could try to outdo eachother each year, and effort/activity could overtake years of established numbers. (Having it be based soley on numbers a person has had 4-5 years to collect only promotes staleness. Only the vets can compete with eachother on that scale. With a refreshed number, there will be a larger pool of potential rivals).

Basically, each year, every player's yearly win/loss PvP ratio would reset. You could still see your total score, but it would not help you with this new category. Whoever has the best Win/Loss/DC ratio becomes the "best PvPer of 20##," and wins a sprite change for that year. (Until they are outdone the next year). Previous winners are displayed on the playerdex or somewhere else that can be searched.

There would still be the "top winners of all time" category, of course. However, it would be underplayed when compared to the yearly best category.

PROS:
Constantly competitive atmosphere; each year is a new slate and the prize would be something several people would be interested in.
Closes gap between newbies and vets (although vets keep other advantages, such as having years more time to complete their team or years of battle experience).
Creates a sort of official game-wide tourney with an official prize, without the headache of timezone issues.
Shouldn't require as much effort as, say, revamping the PvP or guild systems to encourage competitiveness. Even though it will still require some updates, it should be possible without a client upgrade.

CONs:
Somebody will try to abuse the battle system to gain lots of wins (probably through an alt account). Something will have to be set up to detect constant alt account losses.
Somebody could be disappointed that their thousands of wins do not count for as much as somebody's yearly 100 wins or so.
Staff will have to set up a separate, server-sided number counter that resets each year and ranks each player.
Will be a slightly manual effort for a few staff. Somebody will have to investigate into potential cheating, and otherwise remember to change out the sprites. (Cheating investigation will only have to be held once a year, and only the winner will have to be investigated before they receive their prize).

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
Amazing idea zebra! As always

It could be every 3 months plus the year thing, because the players that have nothing to do other than expend time playing are going to win this all the time, so a little title every 3 months sounds good, and the one you said at the end of every year.

CheckeredZebra said:
CONs:
Somebody could be disappointed that their thousands of wins do not count for as much as somebody's yearly 100 wins or so.

This shouldn't be a con hah, I wouldn't worry about it

EDIT: title * the forum censored the word, idk why xD

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
A small category would be awesome as well. But I don't see how people won't nonstop battle through those 3 months as well. xP

I really think this could be expanded to other things, but it would really only be noticeable in the PvP scene. So its not worth trying to manage those quite yet.

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
CheckeredZebra said:
A small category would be awesome as well. But I don't see how people won't nonstop battle through those 3 months as well. xP

I really think this could be expanded to other things, but it would really only be noticeable in the PvP scene. So its not worth trying to manage those quite yet.

Hah thats right

I'll think some ideas to implement on yours ! I never thought about this before, and you have a point, the amount of wins that the vets collected with every year in pwo, kinda impossible for newbies to reach our amount if we are still playing and battling every week.

Fionavara

I like the idea, since I lost my stats once I feel the rest of yo should loose them too xD
ehm I just see ONE little problem here zebra...u DO know that when stats of battle goes down to ZERO you get kicked out of a guild right?
specially if you happen to be the owner/leader of the guild...
I know that from first hand experience! xD
I still not sure if PD will give me back my ownership of BC if I get back my wins...according to my old members I'm still the leader and owner of BC..just that PD doesnt recognize me as it since my wins arn't 200 anymore, but I kinda feel a lot of people would becoming upset of loosing their guilds when stats is erased.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Fionavara said:
I like the idea, since I lost my stats once I feel the rest of yo should loose them too xD
ehm I just see ONE little problem here zebra...u DO know that when stats of battle goes down to ZERO you get kicked out of a guild right?
specially if you happen to be the owner/leader of the guild...
I know that from first hand experience! xD
I still not sure if PD will give me back my ownership of BC if I get back my wins...according to my old members I'm still the leader and owner of BC..just that PD doesnt recognize me as it since my wins arn't 200 anymore, but I kinda feel a lot of people would becoming upset of loosing their guilds when stats is erased.

The total stats and the yearly stats would be separate. =P So your total wins would still be there, they just wouldn't affect the competition/your chance to win anything. :B

Boora

Youngster
that's actually brilliant, it'll be even better if it'll happen monthly and the top 3 will get a reward of some kind, it'll motivate people to battle, a year seems like forever but monthly prizes could change all of that. :) i wouldn't have suggested it but since you already noted the biggest con (abuse), i had too :)

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Quick mention here, this is something that has been suggested by a number of staff members over the years for ingame that has usually been denied for client reasons and something I was toying with on one of my own ideas but I was finding hard to get a decent balance on. This is different though, how I see it a revamp of the current one on Playerdex which does share the same technicalities as the client and only currently shows the overall total. Anyway, it could have a seasonal split (Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn ? ) and each season has a unique count for your PvP records and then the top 10 or so of each Season were stored in a Hall Of Fame on Playerdex similar to how records are shown now. Banned people's stats aren't shown so that could potentially help anyone trying to game this as they would lose the records they cheated to get if caught.

In any rate, a change to what is shown atm should happen as with a game that has been around as long as PWO just ends up showing stats from former players or ones new players can't ever reach as they are alreasy years behind.