TM ideal implementation

Deluge

Website
www.facebook.com
Obviously one would not want to emulate the Gameboy pokemon style of obtaining TMs. So here is just a thought of mine.

A) Perhaps we could work some TMs into the game corner( assuming PWO Admins plan on configuring the game corner) The TM prizes could even change seasonally.

B) TMs could be a very low drop rate, perhaps even by exclusive pokemon on single maps.

C) TMs could be obtainable through certain quests. The more difficult the quest, the potential of the TM would increase.

PWO staff members, I do understand that you probably have your hands full with the current projects that you are working on. As i said, this was simply an idea/suggestion. I would certainly see this being postponed until bugs have been worked out of the various broken moves. Anyways, I'd love to hear feedback from other PWO players, as well as Admins assuming that you have the time. :)

-Sincerely,
sir Deluge

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Deluge said:
A) Perhaps we could work some TMs into the game corner( assuming PWO Admins plan on configuring the game corner) The TM prizes could even change seasonally.

We're looking to make the inclusion of any gambling-related themes minimal-to-none, thus replicably adopting the concept used in the handheld games is currently out of the question. A gaming-based activity may be more customly conceptualized for the gaming corner, for it to better fit into the values/philosophies that the project employs for the nature of its gameplay, but that delves into a different discussion.

Other distraction/diversion activities may be conceived eventually, which could stage their availability as well, however.

Deluge said:
B) TMs could be a very low drop rate, perhaps even by exclusive pokemon on single maps.

Which rarity tier would you suggest for attributing the drop rate of TMs? HR for example, or even more improbable than the average encounter rates of HRs.

Deluge said:
C) TMs could be obtainable through certain quests. The more difficult the quest, the potential of the TM would increase.

Not necessarily disagreeing with this, but to put one major concern into perspective that may underlie skeptics about this: the scarce amount of quest content in-game—the current amount of quests, and rate of content additions, which may be scanty to accommodate for the better part of TMs, depending on the exclusionary degree of quest-based TM obtainability.

Would you have a rough idea on how many TMs you would like to apportion as quest rewards, as well as the value tiers of TMs that may be more common to quests than other methods?

To note: various implementation concepts for TMs are in consideration, and have been discussed on various occasions on the forums before (including a playerdex-based skill shop); none of which, to my understanding, are firmly in development yet, thus various ideas are open for discussion, including and beyond those proposed in this topic, for the potential groundworks of their development.

Raimu_fox25

Creobis said:
Deluge said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with this, but to put one major concern into perspective that may underlie skeptics about this: the scarce amount of quest content in-game—the current amount of quests, and rate of content additions, which may be scanty to accommodate for the better part of TMs, depending on the exclusionary degree of quest-based TM obtainability.

Would you have a rough idea on how many TMs you would like to apportion as quest rewards, as well as the value tiers of TMs that may be more common to quests than other methods?

To note: various implementation concepts for TMs are in consideration, and have been discussed on various occasions on the forums before (including a playerdex-based skill shop); none of which, to my understanding, are firmly in development yet, thus various ideas are open for discussion, including and beyond those proposed in this topic, for the potential groundworks of their development.

For this one i have a question. Is it possible to make a specific pokemon appear only when a quest is active (ie) say your hunting for Iron tail is there a way to make a Say Pikachu that spawns with Iron tail in its move set only for that quest and then stop spawning after the quest is completed.

Furthermore is there a way to make Repeatable quests?

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Raimu_fox25 said:
For this one i have a question. Is it possible to make a specific pokemon appear only when a quest is active (ie) say your hunting for Iron tail is there a way to make a Say Pikachu that spawns with Iron tail in its move set only for that quest and then stop spawning after the quest is completed.

In the current scripting system, no. Wild Pokemon functions can not be interrelated to quest NPCs in this manner; unless (without overcomplicating my explanation) an item was given by a quest NPC, to use it as a data flag which would enable a Pokemon in a specific area to drop the item.

While it may be possible for Pokemon to drop TM items, giving the circumstances, it currently would not be possible for them to carry specific moves into wild battles; especially since such moves are categorized as being in the Pokemon's natural learnset in the database.

These are limitations that aren't impossible to be lifted with future developments, but depending on the development pace of that compared to other methods of obtaining TMs, it may not be the go-to scheme anytime soon.

Raimu_fox25 said:
Furthermore is there a way to make Repeatable quests?

There most likely is, by discarding specific data flags that'd preclude one from repeating the same quest otherwise. However, repeatable quests might be infeasible, depending on other methods that can be implemented for TMs to be obtained reproducibly.

Deluge

Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the feed back, and I'm sorry to be getting back to this thread so late. Ban appealing plus chaotic work schedule = absolute exhaustion. Anyways, I would suspect the drop rate to be roughly the same as a dragon scale. Not saying that this would be an easy coding, not by any means. But say, a Seel having a .01% chance of dropping Ice Beam..well, that seems doable. Like i said from the get go, i was merely tossing the idea out there. TM's would add more versatility to the game.

Hope nobody get's the idea that I am moaning and groaning, I was just curious as to other players/admins thoughts :3