Those NPCs Won't Give Up!

Sweetboi

Youngster
You're a trainer with many badges, you now want to fixate on building a team or, you want to train someone else's Pokémon. Some people would be smart to bring a Pokémon specifically for handling the NPCs, some would get them out of the way prior to training or some would have their Pokémon use a power item so they don't have to worry about their evs being messed up too much.

But on a bad forgetful day, you have a full team of Pokémon, you're raising them and want to head from Saffron City to Cerulean Cave or the Cable Car(Mt Silver/Dragon's Den). It's been a while since you've bypassed Nugget bridge so it's obligated that you have to rematch every trainer as you make your way up. So you either have to battle them all or constantly relog until you've interacted with every last of them. Battling you risk designating ev points in unwanted spots requiring you to waste berries. Relogging you're pretty much erasing/missing out information in chat and/or aggravatedly get annoyed.

Or another situation would be you're rushing to/from an event or heading back to somewhere like Goldenrod/Saffron only to have your time uncessarily wasted by undodgeable NPC battles. Such as Nugget Bridge or the route just before National Park above Goldenrod.

It's been going on for a long time, some of you may have grown used to it, some of you probably still find the NPC rematches pretty annoying. So I'm here to make some suggestions, feel free to add your ideas too...

My suggestions are...

An NPC repel - An item exclusive to PWO that temporarily makes you invisible to unwanted NPC trainer battles for 10 - 60 seconds. (In battle use: Spray into the eyes of your NPC opponent allowing you the exception to run from a trainer battle).

NPC rematch toggle setting - A setting the can be turned on and off or semi-on to avoid or allow NPC rematches. Semi function would disable the NPCs from challenging you unless you interact with them.

VS Seeker being introduced - NPCs no longer automatically challenge for rematch, with a full charge the VS Seeker will enable NPC battles that are nearby. If the item can't be introduced then name the rematch toggle setting as VS Seeker.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
Omg, Sweet is back in the scene.

NPC Repel, rofl. More like NPC pepper spray.

I like the VS Seeker idea. Probably the most sensible of all.

I think something like a call system can be introduced, like it's not obligatory to battle the NPCs but those who are wanting a battle are allowed to call you up whenever they want letting you know they want a rematch. In the end, it will be upto the player to choose whether they want to battle the npc or not.

I'd like to give another suggestion: A rich NPC should be added like in the handheld games who will call you at certain times for rematches, so that players are allowed to battle them and farm money.

Sweetboi

Youngster
With the NPC calling suggestion, since there's not really a pokegear or notifications displayed ingame. Perhaps the system messages in the chatbox can notify the player when those NPCs are wanting to battle

gingerprimarina

Youngster
With the NPC calling suggestion, since there's not really a pokegear or notifications displayed ingame. Perhaps the system messages in the chatbox can notify the player when those NPCs are wanting to battle
Perhaps, introducing a Pokegear would be a good idea.

System messages would tend to annoy people, so it rather stay the way it is now.

Instead of the NPC Repel, I would like to suggest the idea of an invisibility cloak, which you can simply wear and can be used to get around NPCs without them noticing us.

Last edited:

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
You're a trainer with many badges, you now want to fixate on building a team or, you want to train someone else's Pokémon. Some people would be smart to bring a Pokémon specifically for handling the NPCs, some would get them out of the way prior to training or some would have their Pokémon use a power item so they don't have to worry about their evs being messed up too much.

But on a bad forgetful day, you have a full team of Pokémon, you're raising them and want to head from Saffron City to Cerulean Cave or the Cable Car(Mt Silver/Dragon's Den). It's been a while since you've bypassed Nugget bridge so it's obligated that you have to rematch every trainer as you make your way up. So you either have to battle them all or constantly relog until you've interacted with every last of them. Battling you risk designating ev points in unwanted spots requiring you to waste berries. Relogging you're pretty much erasing/missing out information in chat and/or aggravatedly get annoyed.

Or another situation would be you're rushing to/from an event or heading back to somewhere like Goldenrod/Saffron only to have your time uncessarily wasted by undodgeable NPC battles. Such as Nugget Bridge or the route just before National Park above Goldenrod.

It's been going on for a long time, some of you may have grown used to it, some of you probably still find the NPC rematches pretty annoying. So I'm here to make some suggestions, feel free to add your ideas too...

My suggestions are...

An NPC repel - An item exclusive to PWO that temporarily makes you invisible to unwanted NPC trainer battles for 10 - 60 seconds. (In battle use: Spray into the eyes of your NPC opponent allowing you the exception to run from a trainer battle).

NPC rematch toggle setting - A setting the can be turned on and off or semi-on to avoid or allow NPC rematches. Semi function would disable the NPCs from challenging you unless you interact with them.

VS Seeker being introduced - NPCs no longer automatically challenge for rematch, with a full charge the VS Seeker will enable NPC battles that are nearby. If the item can't be introduced then name the rematch toggle setting as VS Seeker.
Any way to be rid of annoying NPC rematches would be a blessing :D
I've been hounding on the for years, please, for the love of god, anything to make the nightmare stop. XD

gingerprimarina

Youngster
I thought the idea of the invisibility cloak was equally funny.

Serves a discreet way to get around npcs.

Can't be helped, cuz I'm a Harry Potter fanatic.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Nice suggestion. I hope staff listen since this is like the 10,000th time it's been suggested.

Sweetboi

Youngster
Invisible cloak sounds like something fun that could be given at a Halloween event. Imagine a Hogwarts event for Halloween.

I've had that NPC repel idea for a long time. Everytime I'm carrying repels and random NPC trainers start walking to me I'm just like "If I could only spray this bottle of repel in those pixelated eyes of yours..."

But if we need a friendlier way to bypass rematching NPCs. The repel could work the same way as it does on Pokemon with the effect the hides you from weaker/previously beaten NPCs for a given number of steps/brief time period.

As for an item for NPC battles, maybe something that works like a pokedoll. Like some kinda Pokeplushie that they will get distracted by, allowing you to escape the NPC trainer battle.

Hopefully this will be the post that stops the meddling NPC-kids.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
It's already been decided that players don't want such a feature, because we use those trainers on the Nugget Bridge for training. :rolleyes:
Crazy how people are taking this post serious LOL
For those who don't know, this post by iggy is just him being sarcastic, because this was once the belief of staff that the playerbase as a majority preferred keeping the NPCs as rematches for EXP and training, which may be true to an extent, the issue is the fact the matches are forced, and for some reason any suggestion at removal of the aspect is completely and utterly ignored, despite the majority of the playerbase being vocal about their dissatisfaction of this mechanic, and even with a pole ( POLE ) that was voted 100% against forced rematches, (only one person voted it should stay and they themselves even said they only voted that way because they simply wanted to troll LOL).

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Nice suggestion. I hope staff listen since this is like the 10,000th time it's been suggested.
You know how it goes with this, people have a better chance of winning the lottery at this rate. LOL

Isguros

Youngster
Crazy how people are taking this post serious LOL
For those who don't know, this post by iggy is just him being sarcastic, because this was once the belief of staff that the playerbase as a majority preferred keeping the NPCs as rematches for EXP and training, which may be true to an extent, the issue is the fact the matches are forced, and for some reason any suggestion at removal of the aspect is completely and utterly ignored, despite the majority of the playerbase being vocal about their dissatisfaction of this mechanic, and even with a pole ( POLE ) that was voted 100% against forced rematches, (only one person voted it should stay and they themselves even said they only voted that way because they simply wanted to troll LOL).
I was actually being being serious. In a conversation with a staff member, in which they brought up the existence of a command which turns off auto-rematches, they said they had discussed it with the staff team, and decided to not make it available because they decided the player base would not want such a feature since they believed most of us use NPCs for training.

Cleveland

Youngster
I was actually being being serious. In a conversation with a staff member, in which they brought up the existence of a command which turns off auto-rematches, they said they had discussed it with the staff team, and decided to not make it available because they decided the player base would not want such a feature since they believed most of us use NPCs for training.
LOL. What player wouldn't want the option to decline a rematch against random NPCs? I'd love to meet that mythical player.

When I think of training, I think of random NPCs...said no one, ever :p

I could see disabling the option for the gym NPCs (why else would one re-enter a gym?) but otherwise...the idea that players are willingly training against random NPCs is nonsensical. I've even personally witnessed staff members relogging on Nugget Bridge, lol.

This would be a notable quality of life improvement for every single player on this game.