The Road to Hoenn and beyond.

Rigaudon

Youngster
I dont even know why this is open for disscussion, as you all can see not happening anytime soon nor later, most of the staff members involved are gone, Hardcoreh "new PWO client" never went live, it is sad to came and check after so much time a game that made me have the best hours of my life and made me know so many fantastic friends around the world, now coming to see all those promises of updates, new regions, new client, all were abandoned, and sadly see the game being barely alive with only 6 people online most of the time.

I'm so sorry to have let anyone down. This was a project between a mapper, a dev, a scripter, and I. Everything was completed excluding the remaining half of the quest when the scripter had life circumstances get in the way. I personally had to leave after my dad got cancer. Before then I had no intention of stopping before Hoenn as was promised, but tragedy after tragedy hit both me and others in staff.

The blueprints and plans are all there for any staff that wish to continue this project.
At risk of being a huge "leaker", staff can remove this part if they think it's too much of a breach of trust here. But it's been over a year since this was put on hold?

Sevii was pretty ambitious with a large storyline, cameos of gym leaders, and a plan for you to "make a gym" with limitations: You'd pick a type, give a guy pokemon and he'd battle you with them, and the gym visuals would change with the theme you pick. I think there were other bonuses that came with helping the guy.

Islands had two different distinct looks based on where you were in a quest. Important items were going to be given throughout the quest, and I did my best to make sure that the quests themselves were unique or at least engaging. The wild pokemon put onto Sevii were going to fit within the niche of the economy and gave several offerings that were specifically chosen to diversify the PvP scene away from pure tanks...similar reasons why it was decided to introduce Chimchar (then bronzong, a tank that counters infernape, was brought in. Why.) Sevii was also going to link to massively important gameplay features in the future, which is why it was prioritized.

Needless to say, Sevii required some dev work to make things happen, and most of it was done (PC revamping, swapping map visuals, etc were all courtesy of Donar). I kept thinking that this would be the big break we could do to stay competitive as an MMO, that this would show people what we were capable of. That this would crack open a path for staff and players alike into a good future. And we were 2/3rds of the way there.

But then life happened, for everyone. It is as you say: a huge shame.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
would be the big break we could do to stay competitive as an MMO,
But you guys did do this, you did make PWO competitive as an MMO. Despite everything that has happened, this game is still alive. We may not have the massive numbers of other games but let me ask, what's worth more, 10 quarters or 200 pennies? It isn't always the quantity of the players, its their quality that should matter too. The community of PWO is amazing! I know I say this so much but that's because it's true. We have a few toxic players but they are of such a minuscule amount that it doesn't even matter. A majority of our players are of such a high grade that few other playerbases can compare. So many of the players I have met here are like family to me and I'm so thankful to have them. I am so much closer to so many more of them than I am to my supposed "real life friends" that its astounding. I'm blessed to have them in my life, and I never would have met them if not for this game.

We have a skeleton crew of a staff trying to run this game and I think some under estimate exactly the toll such an undertaking can cause. Even if life is perfect its still a daunting task, but as we know, life is never perfect. Life is hard and unpredictable, life is well life, and sometimes it gets in the way. We should appreciate what these volunteers (yes, that's what they are, volunteers) have done and continue to do instead of expecting from them what we want them to do and what we think they should do. We may be let down and we may lose patience, but there should be no disappointment in this staff, and there should be no shame. This is no job they do, there is no pay, this is a hobby turned work. Would I love everything that has been promised? Would I love it all right now? You're damn right I would, but people really should look at the different perspectives involved here. My expectation is to get done with what you can, when you can, and that's it. So for those who do work hard, thank you for what you have done.

ABDisback

Youngster
But you guys did do this, you did make PWO competitive as an MMO. Despite everything that has happened, this game is still alive. We may not have the massive numbers of other games but let me ask, what's worth more, 10 quarters or 200 pennies? It isn't always the quantity of the players, its their quality that should matter too. The community of PWO is amazing! I know I say this so much but that's because it's true. We have a few toxic players but they are of such a minuscule amount that it doesn't even matter. A majority of our players are of such a high grade that few other playerbases can compare. So many of the players I have met here are like family to me and I'm so thankful to have them. I am so much closer to so many more of them than I am to my supposed "real life friends" that its astounding. I'm blessed to have them in my life, and I never would have met them if not for this game.

We have a skeleton crew of a staff trying to run this game and I think some under estimate exactly the toll such an undertaking can cause. Even if life is perfect its still a daunting task, but as we know, life is never perfect. Life is hard and unpredictable, life is well life, and sometimes it gets in the way. We should appreciate what these volunteers (yes, that's what they are, volunteers) have done and continue to do instead of expecting from them what we want them to do and what we think they should do. We may be let down and we may lose patience, but there should be no disappointment in this staff, and there should be no shame. This is no job they do, there is no pay, this is a hobby turned work. Would I love everything that has been promised? Would I love it all right now? You're damn right I would, but people really should look at the different perspectives involved here. My expectation is to get done with what you can, when you can, and that's it. So for those who do work hard, thank you for what you have done.

Quite well said!

thunderclap

Youngster
Holodeck the new maps and spawns for testing/fun, so storylines/quests/NPCs wont matter =)

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Yes, the players want to see the maps, show the fruits of your labors.

Personally, I think it is being done *** backwards to some extent. I don't care if it is fully developed or not. Get the basic things in place, and flesh it out later while players play.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I'll be honest here - that suggestion has cropped up a few times before; and we've even discussed it in passing ourselves. It is my understanding, however - and sorry for the vagueness, but this would be something best discussed by the GE team in all honesty - that some of the maps that were planned to feature in this content update, have designs that are directly influenced by events within the story; meaning accessing them "at the wrong time" could spoil things or cause issues later.

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
It is my correct opinion that nobody cares about ruining surprises. Lore is bull, let's stir up some fresh excitement in this game. Some select maps/pokes would be fine though, you don't need to ruin all the surprises ;)

Edit: I appreciate everything y'all are doing and have done =). And thanks for commenting on this Jinji!

Last edited:

shodan21

Youngster
It is my correct opinion that nobody cares about ruining surprises. Lore is bull, let's stir up some fresh excitement in this game. Some select maps/pokes would be fine though, you don't need to ruin all the surprises ;)

Edit: I appreciate everything y'all are doing and have done =). And thanks for commenting on this Jinji!

could have it both ways - release a teaser map, if you will, that isnt changed by the story and put it in the holodeck for a swarm.

disclaimer: i dont know how easy or not that is to do ;)

woodknight

lots of thing to improve the gameplay could be done all this times, i know we had few events in this years, but the last 2 years were really bad for players and we know that a game like these needs more attention then, but its sad to know that it depends on one person to do that. I know too that there is no money here and that nobody wants to work for free and i share my respect with all those people that worked on this, without earning money, the case is that it could be much better than this, we can see something like pokemon go, there is no map and no sense on this things they have, who play pokemon like 10 years ago know that thing is ******it, but how that survives? POKEMONS, spawns, itens, things like that. There is lots os maps in the holodeck, event maps, that can be used for only.....SPAWNS, good spawns, good itens, good tutors, but i can see that u guys keep holding it thinking in a future that DOESNT REALLY exist or will exist, so.... its better to let it die quietly or REALLY try something new?

Cleveland

Youngster
Reading through this thread brought back some memories. So much hope.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Sevii Islands are close to being done. See if you can finish that up this year.

u guys keep holding it thinking in a future that DOESNT REALLY exist

Victory favors the bold. Thing is, I feel like this game's future is being held onto too tightly. For instance, I could hold onto a pokemon I know can be valuable in the future, like say Clefairy since Fairy Type should get released eventually. But it is useless to me rn. I should just realize that Fairy Type isn't coming and release them from my computer so I can clear up space for pokemon that ARE Actually worth something.

To put this more bluntly, "CRAP" (not the word I want to use) "or get off the pot!". Are we fooling ourselves? Will this ever come to fruition? Or should we just give in and admit that it is a pipe dream and move on and be happy with what we have?

Redwaller66

Ahh coming back to check on this game after I moved onto something else after playing 2012 and in 2014... It is sad to see that this game is on life support. Who are the current staff and game editers, coders, etc?

thunderclap

Youngster
Developers

We are not currently looking for developers.
Needs updating. Should read "we are in desperate need of developers, but only trusted long-standing members of the community will be considered for the position, due to the potential for abuse".

thunderclap

Youngster
I'm too lazy to reread this thread to see if it has been updated with the current plans.

Current plan is to add Sevii Islands first, one island at a time. Staff are working on this as we speak, due to renewed life from new staff additions and the momentum that has brought.
Hoenn after that. I think plans for Hoenn are less concrete though, or at least people aren't talking about it much.