The Road to Hoenn and beyond.

Aniki

This is a very great plan TBH, I am also lookin forward to the new client in the future so i can get back to chattin with many of you and playing once again. I would not mind starting fresh from Hoen and then get access until way later for my already caught pokes. I also have yet to finish any of the quests for the dragon den, last things i need is a dragon skin and have seen or caught the number required dragon pokes, look forward to being able to finish it if it will still be around.

WendyTestaburger

Banned
I wish you all luck... while you all are working on these maps, PRO will have already have all of them out...

RicardoTav

that means that pwo will have hoen maybe in next 5 year or more i hope live to see it then :D

RicardoTav

LeroyGarcia said:
maybe this year we can see at least part one of hoenn>?

If they take one print and show yea you see it :p i think that pwo never will have hoen or in like 10 years xD.

The-Predator

Youngster
LeroyGarcia said:
maybe this year we can see at least part one of hoenn>?
Part one? Whats the purpose on releasing it by parts?
1-2 badges wont make a difference, just few more maps to walk on, and wild pokemon would be something like wurmples, zigzagoons, etc, those pokemon are already infame and the important battlers from hoenn, we have them from token store, i see hoenn like An irrelevant update, would be better to work in battle system, maybe orange islands would be better than hoenn, would be cool to have a breeding system, although hunting would mean nothing, I think contest system would be awesome as well would give berries An introduction into the game, but well without new client, we cant see more of these updates, talking about new client reminds me that they were "releasing" new client when Shane denied the right to players, but Shane gave permission for them to use his client again, which makes me think what would have happened if Shane wouldnt have given permission to use his client again??

gingerprimarina

Youngster
Pls add sinnoh(new) pokemon to the token store as well since new regions are coming....:p

RicardoTav

gingergirlaqua said:
Pls add sinnoh(new) pokemon to the token store as well since new regions are coming....:p

yea they are coming, in your dreams :p

Jhaxion

I don't know about you guys but this thread to me is another one of those"lets give them something to hold them over" type of deals. Talk is cheap unless you can deliver on those promises. Let's see how many more years it will take them to deliver even half of the stuff that's on this list. If you really want to know then find out how long it has taken them to complete(it's not) the respawn project. This is one of many reason I gave up hope long ago. It's time to call these guys out on their bs. I'll give you an eta on this project. The road to Hoenn and beyond...never.

Pretentious

Fonty made this original post on September 27th, 2014.

Here's an update on the progress:

Kanto Respawn Project

Block 1 - Block 5: May 21-July 24
Fonty's post: September 27
Hardcoreh's latest public update: October 27
Block 6: Dec 21
Block 7: ??

Johto Respawn Project

Block 1: ??
Block 2: ??
Block 3: ??
Block 4: ??
Block 5: ??
Block 6: ??
Block 7: ??

Elite 4
??

Sevii Islands
??

Hoenn

The-Predator

Youngster
To note, kanto respawn project started back in dec 16, 2013, and was first announced by Tecknician, the May 21you are saying was an UPDATE made by fonty of the already mentioned.

Rigaudon

Youngster
Completing Kanto and Johto.

*Respawning: A lot of completing Kanto and Johto depends on the spawns and other projects happening alongside it. It will be impractical to continue with other major projects before this is done.

•Blocks 1 - 6 in Kanto are done.
•Blocks are being tested firsthand and adjustments are being made fairly often.

Major map bug fixes, some will also be updated to reflect the fact that PWO is set further in the future from when some currently show. However updating ALL the maps is not a priority that will stop us moving on to the next major projects.

•Updated Splitting River Reserve maps to better fit a mapping repurposes. Honestly this is a fairly minor aspect of finishing Kanto/Johto.

•Removed Diglett’s Cave B3F; no purpose could be reasonably found for this map so we merged its purpose with Splitting River Reserve (training) and gave it a new purpose (mid-game training + TM quest). There is still actually a bit more to do in the cave, like such as reducing or nullifying that ridiculous fee it takes use it as a shortcut or access it.

•There’s only one or two other maps planned for large changes; this is a more minor aspect of the game.

Progress quests such as the recently released Olivine Lighthouse quest are also planned. Some will need to be completed within the Kanto/Johto project, while others could be added in at a later date.

•Splitting River Reserve quest changed to be more forgiving if you regret the scroll choice you make

•Gym Leader cooldowns edited to be more forgiving to newer players

•Bulldoze quest added for players who need a boost and to revive purpose to the map.

•We have been and want to continue updating NPC and Pokemon levels so that training is a smoother and less frustrating experience.

•Updated early game Johto quest for Pokeballs to not be so frustrating

•Updated Dragon Scale quest’s requirements to make more sense

-Necessary but not completed: Surfboard Quest

-We want to update Dragon’s Den and Cerulean City to better connect map purposes/concepts with the overall flow of the game.

TMs- whether by adding quests or as gym rewards or other ways, we do plan to get the majority of working TMs into Kanto and Johto, if not all of them, as soon as physically possible.

•Dragon Pulse was added with a small Voucher Prize reorganization

•Earthquake Quest

•Gym Leader Update added a few new TMs to the mix and made others permanent (Shadowball, Psychic)

•Egg Moves for added diversity (technically not TMs, but the intention behind them is the same.)

-I’m not including event TMs/Tutors like Ice Punch in this.

-Want to add more -- have plans in near concrete for more additions but as usual implementation is the hardest part

While creating a story/theme for progress through Kanto and Johto- like the Team Rocket storyline in the handhelds- would be desirable before saying we have completed those regions, progressing beyond Kanto and Johto is also not dependent on this feature. Although if we have the man/woman hours to add this in it prior to moving to the next project it will certainly be done.

-Not a priority currently, but there are some loose concepts and ideas already around.

•The mechanics for progression between Kanto and Johto are already decided upon.

Other misc stuff:

•One event or contest a month

•Two Major events in the past half year

•Small Token Store Updates

-Battle Tower was in production but the NPC feature test run in the Christmas Event didn’t go well, so that is held off until the “freezing trees of death” issue is fixed

It’s not Hoenn or Battle System Updates, but content staff can’t really do those anyway; the idea is that once we’re done with Kanto/Johto and Sevii, those tools would be available to us and we could finally move on. I expected literally nobody who is vocal on these forums to be uber excited about the numerous small but impactful updates that affect mostly newbies/midgame/incoming players. Which, of course, is something established players are unlikely to experience again (and established players are the majority of the posters on these forums). Heck, in casual conversation nobody tends to remember them, which honestly I don't mind either because individually they are isolated minor updates that only affect as a collective whole, not as pieces.

It's really the most painful/bumpy part in terms of community relations because it's honestly the least exciting. We have to play a juggling act of trying to give established players a few new things when possible (see: TMs) while also completing/adjusting bits and bobs that just feel unimportant to them (See: Updated early area levels and quest balancing). In return, we try to give those more established players opportunities/a few things to do via various events until we can move on to more exciting ventures. But let's be honest - nobody who has been vocal the past few months is going to be super happy until we put a new region onto the game.

To oversimplify it, the way staff works is that interested parties choose something from a big list similar to this one while following a general large goal (the current goal being to complete Kanto and Johto). Obviously it's more complicated than that, but from my own experience, most content updates take a month or two, even the smaller ones like the "Let more Gym Leaders give out TMs" project. It often turns out that even the smaller updates can be more complicated than expected and the reasons for why are always unique.

This topic was never intended to say “these exact updates are coming soon in this order and here’s an ETA/here’s a topic to hold you over(?)” but more to show our general plan; it was made in response to users asking for more transparency with wtf we were doing and why. We answered the best we can without creating false promises.

And by false promises, I mean the unfortunate side of PWO. People get busy or the game likes to break in stupid and unexpected ways. Especially the latter, which happens a lot. (See: Broken Hitmons in Splitting River Reserve and the freezing trees of death during the last Christmas Event).

So, you’re looking at a topic that represents a group of people working in a loose order on a lot of edits that are not particularly beloved but on a whole are needed for player retention and for setting up future updates (see: Spawn Project). The same group of people can’t really deliver Hoenn/Sinnoh immediately and definitely not without the help of other hardcoding staff which, obviously, is currently PWO’s greatest struggle for a variety of reasons and not all of them are “staff are lying bastards that only want to line their pockets" and the answer is not always as simple as "well hire more good people," as quality and responsibility get shaky when you're asking people to do a full-time job's worth of work for no pay. (Hint: "Cheap" is already pre-selected.)

So, if you were using this topic as a reference to make estimates with, sorry to burst bubbles. Each major underlined paragraph has a lot of smaller pieces to it, which we cannot actually disclose to the public due to the uncertain nature of if something will stay intact before release. All we can really give you is the general idea of where PWO is trying to go, why, and a basic idea of how. We'll pretty much follow it until we reach those goals, the game folds, or more options are opened to us that make more possible.

Pretentious

Almighty-KP- said:
To note, kanto respawn project started back in dec 16, 2013, and was first announced by Tecknician, the May 21you are saying was an UPDATE made by fonty of the already mentioned.

The May 21st that I'm referring to is when Block 1 became live for public testing. I wasn't active during that time period, but I looked into the history of the project before making that post. Either way, the important date from my post is September 27, 2014.

Rigaudon said:

I'm well aware of all the updates that have been made. While I don't understand some of the things that the PWO staff is trying to accomplish, I've been very vocal in my support for the re-spawn project since I re-joined the community.

This post wasn't a "PWO staff hasn't done anything since _____" post, it was simply an update of the timeline that you all (staff) showed the players. Kanto is completed up to the last block. That's great news. The information about Hardcoreh was included because, as you mentioned, Hoenn is what the majority of players are looking forward too.

Jinga

So any progress to road to hoenn or we still would be stuck in kanto and johto for more 2 years waiting for hardcoreh client??

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Jinga said:
So any progress to road to hoenn or we still would be stuck in kanto and johto for more 2 years waiting for hardcoreh client??

There has been a lot of progress on creating the maps for Hoenn, some of which should be seen soon. Not the maps themselves of course, but the results of the work being done on them.

raffreddato

So you plan to insert the Elite 4 in PWO? That's wonderful, I like this idea!

One question, do you think you will make something similar to gym leaders, with a countdown of a day in case of defeat, or something different?

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
raffreddato said:
So you plan to insert the Elite 4 in PWO? That's wonderful, I like this idea!

One question, do you think you will make something similar to gym leaders, with a countdown of a day in case of defeat, or something different?

Some discussion has gone into this but nothing is near finalised, mostly we've been working on the actual mechanics of the elite 4 since we wish to make them more of a challenge than the gym leaders. The Battle Tower when it is released will show some of our progress in that respect.

If you have ideas for how the Elite 4 should work in PWO please post a Suggestion topic about it. I would be very interested to read player input on the matter and I'm sure other staff will be as well.

Rigaudon

Youngster
Thought it would be nice to test the waters and give people an update on our content goals and our progress, since we're at a point that is a bit easier to explain than usual. I refuse to give ETAs because things often come up that delay or derail projects. Sorry if that's not agreeable with you.

Our current focus/progress on permanent content is:

Battle Tower:
This project hit a lot of bumps in the road, but the design, maps and general scripting for it is, I believe, complete. (Finally!) It now needs testing and a finalized prize list that has calculated prices.

EV Items:
We are in discussion about adding support for a variety of EV items beyond the obvious vitamins.

Spawn Project, Block 8:
My laptop died, so this is on hold for the most part until I can replace it. I am mourning the loss of it, because it makes actually getting ingame and checking on project progress -let alone helping with testing to make things progress faster- harder if not impossible. Fun!

Sevii Islands:
The maps are complete. Huzzah! This is a secondary project, but we are also brainstorming ideas for how the islands can remain relevant to players in the long term. We also need to decide on viable content for them, but some quest designs and the plan for the islands' general continued relevancy are already solid.

Elite 4:
This project is currently farther off than Sevii, but we have a full concept for implementing this. That being said, it is a very unique one. This puts us in an interesting situation, because once we have the ability to fully realize this ideal, it should make for a fun experience. The problem is finishing all of the prep work and detailed plans of attack to make it happen.

And, of course, the DEVs will continue with battle updates and patches, so keep an eye out on their change logs.

I hope this helps keep us staff from seeming to be a mysterious group of dubious progress. Well, at least not as much as normal. ;)

Pretentious

Poor Rig. :(

All of this seems much more promising than it was a few months ago. Great work so far from the new DEVs. Good luck with everything. :)

esau13

Work GOOD another good project that will be good in the game, batle tower, I consider it fun to collect points till fight lol >:D