Event The Joy of Halloween!

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
there's a plan to reveal the the spawns on the maps once the event is concluded.

I've heard of that. It would be nice if the list is at least in game during the last week. I prefer the ease of typing /lis and getting the information in game. The extra effort to come find the tier information isn't too big of a deal though.

Sorey

Read the NPCs dialogues, pls
Staff member
Game Editor
Greetings everybody!

The event will be coming to an end on Sunday 22th November at 12pm (UTC).

Thanks for the attention.

parquettistapazzo

Youngster
Thank you for the event! I feel an event was needed, now more players are active again.

Some piece of feedback: I felt the event could have had a little bit more quests, maybe after having access to the second area. I get it was a hunting event, and it's good to have a variation between hunting events and quest events (like pinkan Island), but maybe just a new task at the end of the first/second week of the event could bring some novelty... I remember that with pinkan island much of the feedback was that quests were too long, but I think that was due to the fact that a part of the event (the tier 5 spawn) was unaccessible before completing the quests.

Anyway, I enjoyed the event very much! Keep up with the good work!

shodan21

Youngster
Thank you for the event! I feel an event was needed, now more players are active again.

Some piece of feedback: I felt the event could have had a little bit more quests, maybe after having access to the second area. I get it was a hunting event, and it's good to have a variation between hunting events and quest events (like pinkan Island), but maybe just a new task at the end of the first/second week of the event could bring some novelty... I remember that with pinkan island much of the feedback was that quests were too long, but I think that was due to the fact that a part of the event (the tier 5 spawn) was unaccessible before completing the quests.

Anyway, I enjoyed the event very much! Keep up with the good work!

the feedback with the pinkan island event was locking progress behind very difficult RNG - receiving 10 rare drops from a T3 poke.

in this event, the quest was almost too easy - assuming you could figure out what to do. some of the dialogue wasnt very good at guiding the player to what the next step was, and while i liked the non-linear nature of the quest, some of it felt very disjointed and relied way too much on the player to explore on their own. additionally, some npcs wouldnt repeat crucial dialogue if youd missed it the first time (the hallow town mayor, in particular, was a common complaint that i heard). thus, what ended up happening was players would ask how to proceed from players who already had done so - and many players finished the quest in a day or two, which is rather fast for a three-week event. catching the duskull rather than having to faint for a chance at drops was a nice change-up, especially as compared to the disaster that was the pinkan armor hunt, but i feel like that should have been mixed up a bit rather than having all three kids ask for the same species (also, not checking the OT made that even easier, since players could give away their excess bad duskull to help other players through the quest).

as for the spawns, i liked the rares - although ralts, baltoy, and eevee dont really fit with a halloween theme. T1+ staryu was a nice choice as well. other than that, though, the spawns were quite poor - there was nothing really rewarding about any of the commons other than a good gastly or misdreavus, and having gastly's evos was just useless (especially gengar as a t2/3? that's a joke). similarly, shuppet, duskull, and sableye are incredibly overused in these events. worth noting: litwick was the only spawn unobtainable via permanent maps or the token store. also, i know there were some complaints about baltoy and its selfdestruct, as well as ralts and its teleport, but i had hunters to deal with both, so eh.

i didnt really get the purpose of the NPCs in the forest map - bunch of trainer battles that have no bearing on the quest? why? even the one battle that you would expect to matter (the zombie guarding the apple tree) wasn't actually required - you could pick the apples without even attempting the battle.

the rewards were fairly decent - farming essence wasnt too bad (except sucker punches from gastly and haunter...). foul play tutor is always welcome, although the other tutors were mostly useless; ghost gem was a good choice for a new item release, even though it too is mostly useless; but the real gems were the reaper cloth and dusk stone. also the four vouchers.

finally, the maps. i thought the maps were reasonably well-designed (although the forest part being a maze was... not great, given how many times you had to go back and forth through it). however, since i've recently entered into the world of mapping, there were a lot of issues i noticed with them - numerous incorrectly-shadowed trees; grass tiles (not spawn grass) adjacent to cliff tiles with no transition; a stairset tile for facing south that was used to face north and looked extremely out of place; a transition up a cliff level with the cliff tiles abruptly ending; and a bench that was improperly layered, which allowed access into a small area that should have been blocked by the bench. overall, the maps looked like they were rushed - and indeed, much of the event implementation felt the same.

5/10 - but hey, four vouchers. and litwick.

Last edited:

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
not checking the OT made that even easier, since players could give away their excess bad duskull to help other players through the quest).

I like this part as it allows players to help one another. More of this cooperative stuff during quests would be nice.

Though, I think

shuppet, duskull, and sableye are incredibly overused in these events.

as well. It would have been nice to see Drifloon in here and let us catch those to give to the kids (If you know what I mean *wink)

there were some complaints about baltoy and its selfdestruct, as well as ralts and its teleport , but i had hunters to deal with both, so eh.

I had hunters to deal with that as well, but it didn't help at all due to a brain fart, and Ralts *INSTANTLY* using Teleport. I absolutely hated this. The 1st event where I could go get a nice Ralts of my own, and this crap happens. Personally, could have spawned at a low enough level to not have Teleport to fix the issue, or just do something to make sure it never spawns with it, or can't use it if it does have it. A Teleporting TFIVE is just absurd. Almost as bad as the Snorlax fiasco where they kept fainting themselves by using a glitched Belly Drum. As for Baltoy, more or less the same applies. An Exploding TFOUR isn't all that funny either.

bunch of trainer battles that have no bearing on the quest? why?

I liked that well enough. It was nice having optional battles with *potentially* high level enemies. I was able to farm a nice bit of EXP in a short time so I didn't feel like I was missing out of training pokemon while the event was going on. More of this would be great. Remember the battles during the New Years Event? Having to go beat several snake charmers? Those weren't optional, they were difficult to the point many players couldn't beat them, and they locked players out of the final area of the event iirc. So optional battles are quite nice.

farming essence wasnt too bad (except sucker punches from gastly and haunter.

My level 100 Gallade with Shadow Sneak didn't have any problems with that. :p

The hunt for Litwick was Extremely(!) Boring. Gastly, gastly, zubat, gastly, gastly, zubat, haunter, zubat, gastly. <== This, but like 100 hours of it with a shuppet every couple hours. GOD that was boring. I went brain dead during that hunt, and PWO will be getting my Dr. Bill for that. I couldn't even get Shinies to spawn to living it up. No T3s or T4s made it absolutely miserable. And no fishing spawns made it feel odd compared to the other area which had abundant water access.

I vote allowing us to Repel Hunt since that costs lots of money so it is a good money sink, and allows us to not be bogged down with mind numbing tedium of having to run from common pokemon we're sick of seeing.

Litwick as a spawn is a great choice. I've wanted one since I 1st see it and realized what it is. Now I have one. (One with some of of the most annoying IVs possible, but I have one).

I felt the event could have had a little bit more quests, maybe after having access to the second area.

Quests felt a bit short to me, but I am happy with that. Optional quests after the main story quest line is done would be nice, perhaps with the prizes being rare pokemon from the event. Like, an NPC says "go do this random task and I'll give you a Litwick". Make the tasks complex enough and give the rare pokemon at least a 10+ IV.

That's where that fake hole in the forest behind Klay comes into play. Could allow players access to it and make a massive maze down there like the Pinkan Island Forest and let players waste tons of time down there. Could even make it a 3rd hunting grounds for some decent pokemon with an after story quest line. (*cough*Gible*cough*cough*)

Sorey

Read the NPCs dialogues, pls
Staff member
Game Editor
Good evening!

The Moves Tutor and Item Seller NPCs will be removed from Routes 4 and 31 on Sunday. If you have spiritual essences in your bag still, it might be a good time to spent it with something from Halloween's event.