Stat Changing Moves

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
Once again so it isnt overlooked, the formula teck used is one that is used in handhelds posted on serebii. Its exactly the same, except PWO doesnt use decimals, so offensive damage might not be as strong as they are supposed to. There should be no complaining, as this is how it would be on any other MMO. Once again, instead of complaining, maybe thank tecknician for bringing forth a great update, to further make the battling system closer to the handheld's.

MaddHappy

Hey, I know this might not be the place to ask this, but I was wondering once all the updates
to this game have been realized. If something like in picture 3 can be implemented in the game.
That's if the current client will be able to allow it. Thanks again.

Pic 1:
Untitled1.png
Pic 2:
Untitled2.png
Pic 3:
Untitled3.png

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
MaddHappy said:
Hey, I know this might not be the place to ask this, but I was wondering once all the updates
to this game have been realized. If something like in picture 3 can be implemented in the game.
That's if the current client will be able to allow it. Thanks again.

Pic 1:
Untitled1.png
Pic 2:
Untitled2.png
Pic 3:
Untitled3.png
thats a great idea, the only problem is it would most likely require a client update. pwo currently cant have anymore client updates, due to not having client source code. once pwo gets a new client, this could be possible

HOF69

Is there any plan to make moves like Work Up or Ancientpower raise multiple stats as they do in the handhelds? Or is that not feasible right now in PWO?

Tecknician

HOF69 said:
Is there any plan to make moves like Work Up or Ancientpower raise multiple stats as they do in the handhelds? Or is that not feasible right now in PWO?
One of the many things listed in the to do bin.

andrewle

if you gonna fix all the moves you might as well put PP (power points) on the moves to limit the use of Over Powered moves lets say put PP only in PVP (stat alteration are only useful in PVP anyway) because if theres PP in pokemon moves, grinding in the wild will be very very hard.

Tombradyrocks

Dragonite seems like it's a little too OP now, to be honest. As someone who does a lot of pvp battles, I have benefitted and been the victim of dragonite with agility and dragon dance. This usually seems to happen when an Arcanine is out, or really anything else that doesnt have a move that would do a lot of damage to drago. The person uses agility, then uses dragon dance 2-3 times and becomes unstoppable, and you can't do anything about it. You can merely hope to paralyze it really. Now the Drago with 280 or so speed and near 600 attack is free to just blow away your entire team. Best fix would be to take away one of these moves from drago. On their own they work well, but combined it's pretty broken.

patONER

Lol battling is now a crazy. Just as tom says, drago, meta, etc just blows up everything, whoever pulls him out first wins.

Do_You_Love_Pie

this new battling system is a joke did u actually test it out b4 adding it ?? i jsut had a meta doin 750 damage with a spd of 250+ take out my whole team..... i started with snorlax and they start with meta they use agility once and then keep using meteor mash to start off with it has 300 atk by the time it beats my snorlax it has 600 atk..and then with my drago destroyed patoner's whole team becuz of the op move of agility and dragon dance..

Tecknician

Do_You_Love_Pie said:
this new battling system is a joke did u actually test it out b4 adding it ?? i jsut had a meta doin 750 damage with a spd of 250+ take out my whole team..... i started with snorlax and they start with meta they use agility once and then keep using meteor mash to start off with it has 300 atk by the time it beats my snorlax it has 600 atk..and then with my drago destroyed patoner's whole team becuz of the op move of agility and dragon dance..
No, I did not test it in combat, that is what I expect players to do. Welcome to playing a beta, where players are the beta testers.

I would like to see recordings of entire teams having gone down base on the use of these op pokemons. I myself have been crushed several times playing pokemon games that have fully operational battle systems because of said moves being used against me. Just because battles are one sided now doesn't necessarily mean this update is broken and things are op. I will be looking for solid examples of any claims made regarding my updates. Some claims I will be able to look into myself, others like these I will ask players for assistance.

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
if you guys know these pokemon are whats going to be messing up your team, bring counters. charizard/steelix for meta, mamoswine or something else for dragonite. pokemon battling is strategy based. use a strategy.

DoreanBV

Bis_Eastwood said:
if you guys know these pokemon are whats going to be messing up your team, bring counters. charizard/steelix for meta, mamoswine or something else for dragonite. pokemon battling is strategy based. use a strategy.

You actually expect people to think? Shame on you Bis :)) Anyway, keep up the good work, Teck.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Just a few thoughts on my end:
@ Bis counters are fine, but I wonder how many pokemon would be able to counter something like a dragonite with that much attack (capable of OHKO'ing Cloyster, metagross and Steelix with enough Dragon Dances), futhermore It is rather restricting not being able to use certain types in fear of it being boost bait for dragonite, metagross, mamoswine, or gyarados. Fire/Grass/certain water types (starmie, swampert for ex.) are generally not a good idea to be used now because of Dragonite. Normal types (snorlax, kanga, even slaking) are bait for Meta, and steelix. Electric Types are bait for Mamo and Steelix. Almost all water types are bait for Gyarados (mamoswine as well). Now I would find it difficult to build a balanced team without any of the pokemon that are considered bait, while trying to counter the existing OP pokemon effected by the update. The current amount of pokemon and move set doesn't adequately provide for this type of battle system without things like TM's, priority moves, a wider variety of pokemon, and abilities in my mind.

@ Teck I realize this is being looked into, and could potentially change. I would just like to bring up that Dragonite and Slaking were intentionally nerfed previously (despite handheld differences in outrage and slackings ability) in order to make the battle scene more diverse, and level. That was a direct and intentional change from the handhelds, so not everything is viable in PWO yet. Regardless, part of the intention was to make more pokemon viable in battle. My question is, if we were to prove both that this update strongly inhibits variety in battle, and that certain pokemon are now overpowered, and overused... would that be of significance in your mind enough to strongly consider a reasonable change?

Tecknician

I am actually already considering some changes that would make some pokemon more viable: For example leaving hyper beam at it's current power but raising solar beam.

At this current point in time, I do not want to overreact and start randomly changing moves with little time between updates, because if all goes well, more updates regarding the battle system will continue.

There is a limit what I can do, and more importantly what the server can do. I was not hired to be a developer, so I have no intentions on doing any major server development unless explicitly asked to. Most of these changes I am doing now are not developmental in nature but more editing.

In short, making balance updates may be futile at this point.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Of course, I'm certainly not expecting immediate results or any sort of move changes that would differ from the handhelds at all at this point. I know you are busy, and there are multiple options open to every problem. Basically I'm looking to provide you evidence that it's not necessarily because these other pokemon are underpowered, but the type advantage leads others to abuse their power enhancing moves to an unfair degree, regardless of the power of the moves themselves (flare blitz, and solarbeam are powerful themselves even currently).

I don't mean to make you feel rushed, or that you're inadequately doing anything. My idea is to suggest a study on it, maybe this weekend, taking data (in form of screen shots and lists of pokemon used) from various battles my friends and I have. This would be in order to provide you with examples for you to judge, and perhaps better develop ideas to eventually change the system as you see needed. Would this type of data be admissible to you?

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Dex. said:
They became OP because we cant switch pokes in battle ..
Switching pokemon in battle won't do much, it'll just extend the battle beyond what it should be. Can you imagine people constantly switching back and forth to exploit weaknesses, and their opponent following suit?
In example: Starting with Gyarados vs. Jolteon
player 1 changes his gyarados for a steelix when facing a jolteon
player 2 withdraws his jolteon for a kingdra
player 1 withdraws his steelix for a flygon
player 2 withdraws his kingdra for the original Gyarados
and the cycle repeats.
Switching is a pain even in the handhelds, you'll always have aggravating players that will do just that.

Nikola

Youngster
Mamoswine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk2AZiJxtdg
-I made my team here like most of the people does. Left without counters and you can see what happened. Dozen of Pokemon would counter Mamoswine easy(Gyarados, Starmie, Kingdra, Swampert, Feraligatr and other viable water type Pokemon.) but people are deceiving themselves and usually they forget that every team requires at least one counter if you fail to have start advantage.

Dragonite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR7lKFjFXUw
-After using agility 2 times and Dragon dance also 2 times Cloyster made him to faint. Dragonites hp was low and gambling another Dragon dance would be a risk. Just to note since I am not sure by myself if Atk is increasing every time Dragon dance is being used. If it is increasing every turn that it would be something worthy to look into. For example Metagross will not get Atk boost after every Meteor mash attack.

-You also keep forgetting that there are many Pokemon that are able to boost their defensive stat such as Steelix. And countering Metagross with it shouldn't do any harm. This is a rare opportunity in PWO when you can use some tactic and think instead of doing a routine battle without any special surprises after you got starter/type advantage. Like every other update, it requires testing and feedback of a people since it wouldn't be good to rely on a opinion of a single individual. Just take a better look into your PC. Pokemon are getting more and more usable and many of them are becoming competitive.