Stat Changing Moves

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
Stat changing moves no longer do -10/+10 only. They now go by percentages, as followed -
102s17d.png

With few exceptions:
- They can go past six stages.
- They can only do one stage at a time.

Do note that these issues will be fixed in the near future.

After extensive testing this week, including during the downtime, there is more testing to be expected by not just us staff, but you guys!
Any problems, please let us know.

We would also like to apologize for the recent downtime.
Pansy ~

Tecknician

matileo19 said:
I don't get it... can someone give me a more detailed explaination ? xp
I'll give you an example.

Say you are battling a pokemon, and it has tail whip. Your def is 100 to start out with.

the old system the first time it used tail whip your def would now be at 90.

The second time it would be at 80,

Third time, 70... subtract 10 each time.

Instead now it depends on the percentage of your stat.

So in the new system, the first time your def will be at 66.

The second time 50.

The third time, 40.

Likewise a stat increasing move is a little less complicated. It only goes up by 50% your original stat each time. So for dragon dance which raises attack. Say you have a 200 base attack.

First time you use dragon dance your attack will now be 300.

The second time your attack will now be 400

Third time your attack will now be 500.

Ect.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
First of all let me say that I think the staff has done a TREMENDOUS job lately with all the updates, really impressed with the effort.. it's been amazing. Thank you for that, and that being said... I disagree whole heartedly with this update. Granted it is more true to the actual handhelds, it doesn't need to be in PWO in my opinion. As for the reasoning behind my statement, let me give you a situational aid. Player A Has a Metagross, a Steelix, a Gyarados, and Dragonite + two others. Player B has a Alakazam, a Arcanine, a Dragonite, a salamence, a snorlax, and a jolteon

Player A throws out Steelix, Player B throws out Dragonite (two common starts) Steelix wipes the floor with Drago
Player B throws out Arcanine and kills steelix
Player A Kills Arcanine with Gyarados
Player B Throws out kazam to kill what little HP Gyara has
Player A counters Kazam with Metagross, and uses 2 agilities and a meteor mash, it's speed is now unbelievable, and it's atk is Godly
Player B throws out Dragonite to use fire punch on meta, but meta is faster and 2 hits dragonite with meteor mash, causing its attack to be now 250% of it's normal (already high) attack
Player B then continues to throw out his remaining pokemon in despreate hopes of killing the Super Sayian Metagross but continuously get's OHKO'd by the ever increasing attack.

this can happen with multiple pokemon now, and is simply not right. It is now a rat race to throw out the most OP pokemon, and use stat moves to make them invincible. I'm not looking to start a debate war, just my 2 cents worth.

Tecknician

As always, we could always make balance updates by changing moves as needed.

Algiers

Yeah, the stat change percentages just seem too much to me to work with the current, otherwise rather simplistic combat system. However, the concept itself is great and I really like this update regardless - and hope that the percentages will get adjusted to a more reasonable level.

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
Tecknician said:
matileo19 said:
I don't get it... can someone give me a more detailed explaination ? xp
I'll give you an example.

Say you are battling a pokemon, and it has tail whip. Your def is 100 to start out with.

the old system the first time it used tail whip your def would now be at 90.

The second time it would be at 80,

Third time, 70... subtract 10 each time.

Instead now it depends on the percentage of your stat.

So in the new system, the first time your def will be at 66.

The second time 50.

The third time, 40.

Likewise a stat increasing move is a little less complicated. It only goes up by 50% your original stat each time. So for dragon dance which raises attack. Say you have a 200 base attack.

First time you use dragon dance your attack will now be 300.

The second time your attack will now be 400

Third time your attack will now be 500.

Ect.

Thanks a lot! :D

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Good job, at first glance seems somewhat exaggerated, because we were already accustomed to the old system. But that brings many new possibilities and challenges to the game. Thanks so much.

CrimsonSapphire

Great updates. Btw is there any limit ? Exmple houndour use nasty plot continously when vs kazam

Edit: Huhu nvm didnt see the stages thingy. Image loading slow :p

ScruffyHusky

As great as this update is, I also don't think it should be implemented into the game just yet, with the current battle system being the way it is. This basically made people who had op pokes more op, and the ones who didn't are gonna be stuck with losing battles until they also get new pokes to match with this update. Just my two cents. Maybe a vote with the players?

The-Predator

Youngster
EcoWOLFrb said:
First of all let me say that I think the staff has done a TREMENDOUS job lately with all the updates, really impressed with the effort.. it's been amazing. Thank you for that, and that being said... I disagree whole heartedly with this update. Granted it is more true to the actual handhelds, it doesn't need to be in PWO in my opinion. As for the reasoning behind my statement, let me give you a situational aid. Player A Has a Metagross, a Steelix, a Gyarados, and Dragonite + two others. Player B has a Alakazam, a Arcanine, a Dragonite, a salamence, a snorlax, and a jolteon

Player A throws out Steelix, Player B throws out Dragonite (two common starts) Steelix wipes the floor with Drago
Player B throws out Arcanine and kills steelix
Player A Kills Arcanine with Gyarados
Player B Throws out kazam to kill what little HP Gyara has
Player A counters Kazam with Metagross, and uses 2 agilities and a meteor mash, it's speed is now unbelievable, and it's atk is Godly
Player B throws out Dragonite to use fire punch on meta, but meta is faster and 2 hits dragonite with meteor mash, causing its attack to be now 250% of it's normal (already high) attack
Player B then continues to throw out his remaining pokemon in despreate hopes of killing the Super Sayian Metagross but continuously get's OHKO'd by the ever increasing attack.

this can happen with multiple pokemon now, and is simply not right. It is now a rat race to throw out the most OP pokemon, and use stat moves to make them invincible. I'm not looking to start a debate war, just my 2 cents worth.
this is what is happening atm in battles and metagross doenst need 2 moves to KO a poke it only needs 1 and with that spd is like the fastest i know in the handhelds there is something called strategy but with the no switching thing and lots of strategy moves broken it is mm like system broken tho i mean, after using 1 agility and 1 meteor mash , metagross is able to KO any poke with only 1 move without taking any damage ._.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
also drago uses agility once and dragon dance vs a swampert or arcanine and it becomes a god. Mamoswine is using ancient power to finish off pokemon and killing every pokemon it comes across thereafter, and people overusing the same pokes that are now incredibly OP, my suggestion would be reducing it to a 10% increase at a time, as this current application is undermining the previous goals in the game, which were obviously to make a broader range of pokemon usable in battle (dragonite, and slaking were heavily nerfed to make it so, which I applauded personally). Maybe a poll would be a good idea after a little more time when people have an advanced view of the new system, to determine what the best course of obviously necessary action would be best.

Nikola

Youngster
-I really miss stat changing system back in the day. It was random up to XX per move. So it could be 10,15,20, etc. Even now I am finding it the best for a PWO with this battle engine as it is now. Later they made those getting boost of a 10/20 points only and it wasn't randomized. Well with very poor development of a battle engine and client in a first place must be very hard to adapt and find something which is going to be ideal for all of us. I do agree that once Pokemon using status changing move might be unstoppable. Don't want to point at any Pokemon since many of them can learn Leer, Agility etc. But the main question is "what Pokemon you are going to choose after those gained abnormal boost".

Saric

Youngster
This seems like it'd be a tad bit op on some pokes and make things incredibly unbalanced..
Good update, but wrong time to put it in.

Discipline

EcoWOLFrb said:
also drago uses agility once and dragon dance vs a swampert or arcanine and it becomes a god. Mamoswine is using ancient power to finish off pokemon and killing every pokemon it comes across thereafter, and people overusing the same pokes that are now incredibly OP, my suggestion would be reducing it to a 10% increase at a time, as this current application is undermining the previous goals in the game, which were obviously to make a broader range of pokemon usable in battle (dragonite, and slaking were heavily nerfed to make it so, which I applauded personally). Maybe a poll would be a good idea after a little more time when people have an advanced view of the new system, to determine what the best course of obviously necessary action would be best.

I agree with you Eco, while many of us appreciate any means of moving this game forward this update could use a little work or be thought out to an extent to make some pokemon more manageable or even usable.

Jacollo

The difference between suppemental moves and subtractive moves is to great. I wouldn't go back to the old system, but there are some changes i would like to see in this system.

Stage: -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
Percentage: 10% 20% 40% 60% 80% 90% 100% 110% 120% 140% 160% 180% 190%

That's how i would see it, caus come on. double the stat in 1 move (sword's dance for example) now that's wrong...

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
You know, I think it's quite something that PWO actually reveals the EXACT amount of change applied to each stat after a move changes them. This goes above and beyond the detail offered in official games, which only states a stat HAS been raised or lowered; and a non-obvious indication of the number of stages ("a lot" if more than 1, just the regular message if only 1).

As for this Announcement - as a Pokémon myself, I highly support this change.
(Quietly chuckles to himself with a malicious glee)

psychosamm

Youngster
First off I must commend the staff for working so hard lately to make PWO better, and doing so many changes recently, so good job guys!

Now, this update i believe, while a huge step, is coming at the wrong time. In the handhelds I never used stat enhancing moves, mostly because they were never hugely beneficial, I often found that it hurt more than helped due to the enemy getting a free hit. Now why is it so OP in PWO? This is because TMs aren't an option, you're stuck with pokemon who are either now extremely powerful, or mediocre in comparison. The goal was to make the battlefield more broad, not shrink it more. Due to the lack of TMs and even abilities, certain pokemon are now running rampant, such as Metagross in the examples above.

There are various other things that needed to be implemented before anything like this was introduced. TMs, fixing all recovery moves, weather moves, and just about every other strategy move needed to be fixed before this. I know abilities are probably the furthest from happening, so i won't push that as much, but they certainly lend plenty of aid. This new dramatic stat altering update leaves many people helpless to do anything, and many players have gotten discouraged to the point where they don't even want to battle anymore, and I know that is certainly not your goal. I think what needs to be done is either:

A. Nerf the stat altering moves to about half of what they do in the handhelds, (maybe even less) or
B. Remove it all together and focus on other aspects of the battling scene, then simply reintroduce it when most of the other issues have been dealt with.

I understand that this update was made with the best of intentions, however at this point in time in PWO such an update just isn't feasible, it does more harm than good.