Silver Town Porter

Your opinion on the Silver Town Porter.

• I use it often enough, regardless of its current price.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use it nearly as much as I would if its price was cut.

• I don't use it, nor would it make a difference to me with a price cut.

• Total voters

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Mt. Silver, reputedly the most popular permanently-established training area, calls for a considerable amount of trips between the Pokemon Center. However, on-foot travel currently entails walking through several hours, also going through a maze-structured path on the first floor—a routine that players may find tedious if having to make constant trips.

An NPC transporter was added to the base of Mt. Silver (Silver Town) a while ago, as a luxurious crutch which can work in tandem with an escape rope: the NPC porter would be used to reach the 5th floor, after completion of the Mt. Silver mini-quest, and the escape ropes purchased could be used to make trips back to the PC. However, players seem to be off-put by the 15k fee charged by the NPC transporter, which has begged the question on how often players use this NPC; it seems to have a negligible presence at best, which is worth reassessing, as long as Mt. Silver is the most popular training area.

Repricing the transporter has been a point of discussion within the staff, but we agreed it's best to discuss/collect feedback with players before any changes proceed. While votes in the poll may help to project to us how often players may use it, verbal feedback is encouraged as well; it would be far more explanatory on your viewpoints, and revisional suggestions can be fielded better this way.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
To be honest I hardly have used this service. Not because of the price but because when I level up any pokémon I prefer to defeat the pokémons along the way and NPCs at the first floors. However is more cheap buy revives and potions than pay 15k everytime your pokémon is fainted. And when you're leveling up it's easy to make 15k. I'm frequently in Pwo xats and I always hear players complain about prices of train, pokeballs, surf, etc. They're newbies and 5, 10 or 15k is too much for everyone who is starting in game. As some never get much money. Active veterans are ever trading or hunting and getting their money. At this point I think 15k isn't much for them. In my point of view to reduce the price only change something for this starters. Then I think something between 5-10k is fine.

masterchiface

In my point of view I feel as if the price should be slightly reduced. I feel as if the price of the porter should be reduced slightly, maybe to 10k, it seems reasonable. For veteran players and players with a sufficient amount of cash the 15k shouldn't be a problem. As Julio said, there are newer players who find it difficult to make this money and be able to spend it constantly like this. We also have to remember that training at lower level places doesn't get them as much money as training in Mt. Silver. On the grounds of players complaining, there's always going to be complaints about prices, at least that's the way I see it. I feel as if players should have some type of work ethic to be able to make that amount of money though (for surfboard, porter, etc). I don't think the staff should lower the price of the porter to less than 10k, as I would like to see players not take the easy way out and not having to work hard to get what they want. We've all had to work hard to get where we are, there's no reason that newer players shouldn't be able to do the same to get 100k. I know I rambled a bit :p, but that's just my opinion on the topic.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
*stretches* Hi! Well, as I noted in our nice long conversation the other day...

The Mt. Silver porter is alright. IF you do reduce it, the price should only be by a few k. It's the Ice Cave porter that I had issue with.

Tecknician

Zebra, what about the cave porter?

Also, the silver town porter is obsolete now. It will be removed. :)

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Empress Teck said:
Zebra, what about the cave porter?

Also, the silver town porter is obsolete now. It will be removed. :)

I feel like the blackthorn porter either needs to be adjusted or another path-like system should be introduced there instead. (Same stuff I've been saying since the train update overhaul, basically.)
I and a few others I've discussed this with agree that its not a tempting impulse-buy, which is what the porters and train service function as. The blackthorn porter costs the same as the silver town porter does (or did), when it skips much less than the Silver Town porter. In other words, compared to similar functions its way overpriced and that's not an attractive buy at all. I personally prefer pointlessly trekking through the cave when necessary over the 15k price.

However, there is still a desire for a porter, because whenever players want to trade they have to go down a path they can't return through. So...they have to go back around an entire region to continue training/hunting in DD. And the train currently does not reach Blackthorn that for lore reasons that I support.

While there is a need to recover via pokecenter, I've always stocked up on hyper potions and/or hope a Parasect can spore my poison away instead of going through all the effort and expenses of healing then returning. Judging from the recent medic NPCs that are in Lost Town, this is probably one way in which the porter has become obsolete. However, players who hunt in both Mt. Silver and DD might like the porters because they can use an escape rope to instantly teleport to Saffron, and then quickly return to their hunting/training session. Going up and down Mt. Silver and then returning to saffron is annoying. Staying in Saffron forever is boring unless you can battle/chat the time away; therefore, I'm not quite so sure its obsolete yet. Especially since these areas cater to vets, many of which are active traders.

In fact, the effort it takes to go back around the entire region of johto is probably similar to the amount it takes just to reach and climb back up Mt. Silver with. Its tedious for older players -if you can't tell, tedium is my favorite nail to hammer- which is why I wanted at least one porter be added when helping conceptualize Mt. Silver's quest.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Reviving this thread, as I believe it's time, once again, for the Silver Town porter to be re-examined.

Now that the healing NPCs have been added to the caves, who heal your Pokemon on the spot to save you a trip back to the PC, it is worth discussing how this may affect how often the Silver Town porter is used at its current price. While yes, it's indeed obsolete for those who mainly used it to transport back to the caves after making a healing trip, it can also be understood—looking through this discussion—that it may be used enough to make the initial trip to the higher floors of the caves.