Should unoffensive swearing be allowed in PWO?

Should unoffensive swearing be allowed in PWO?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderclap

Youngster
Simple poll. PWO is a game made by fans for fans. The rules should represent what the people want. To me censorship in 2018's internet is even more absurd than the war on drugs. We're banning players when we need those players, and making others feel oppressed and unhappy. The internet is filled with FAR worse.

What do you think? :huh:

Towel

Youngster
I don't care either way. I find people are making an really big deal out of nothing. You tell them they can't swear it's like you tell them they can't breath. What's the big deal?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Pokémon is a franchise that is designed to be open, friendly and accessible to everyone, from young children to mature adults. Here in PWO, we also believe in fostering a warm, open environment. As a result, the entirety of the Pokémon World Online ecosystem - from the game, to every website, and even the Discord - is "family-friendly". Discussions and language that has the potential to cause offence; or which is considered inappropriate in the presence of children, is not allowed - and never will be.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
The rules reflect the age group we allow. From the beginning PWO has been full of underage players. This includes a lot of young teenagers and even many who have not even hit 2 digits in age. Hosting a game with children playing has certain responsibilities inherent in it that I'm proud to say PWO has never shirked or ignored. Not allowing swearing anywhere in our game is just one of the measures we have always felt necessary.

Just some background info for your poll in case you weren't aware. :)

thunderclap

Youngster
Jinji said:
Pokémon is a franchise that is designed to be open, friendly and accessible to everyone, from young children to mature adults. Here in PWO, we also believe in fostering a warm, open environment. As a result, the entirety of the Pokémon World Online ecosystem - from the game, to every website, and even the Discord - is "family-friendly". Discussions and language that has the potential to cause offence; or which is considered inappropriate in the presence of children, is not allowed - and never will be.
You told me yourself you dislike the no swearing rule Jinji. A five year old kid can look up beheading videos and snuff films .. we should be happy they are playing Pokemon instead of making fertilizer bombs..

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
sargis123 said:
No fun allowed ADULTS !

There have been many occasions when players have chosen to make private channels to have their more adult 'fun' in. If swearing is that important to you then we have no problems with this. We've even encouraged it, we have no issues with adults expressing their freedoms where nobody will be harmed because they are all in that place by choice. The children who play this game- and their parents who allow them to- have a right to expect some restraints placed on the publicly accessible places we provide.

sargis123

HitmonFonty said:
sargis123 said:
No fun allowed ADULTS !

There have been many occasions when players have chosen to make private channels to have their more adult 'fun' in. If swearing is that important to you then we have no problems with this. We've even encouraged it, we have no issues with adults expressing their freedoms where nobody will be harmed because they are all in that place by choice. The children who play this game- and their parents who allow them to- have a right to expect some restraints placed on the publicly accessible places we provide.

Ironically, I voted no lmao :D

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
This is simply a "no" to some it seems like a pointless rule but it's a rule that's needed. Now I say my fair share of curse words as do all but it should be about respecting others. No cursing hurts nobody but the allowance of cursingcan hurt somebody believe it or not.

thunderclap

Youngster
Jobey said:
This is simply a "no" to some it seems like a pointless rule but it's a rule that's needed. Now I say my fair share of curse words as do all but it should be about respecting others. No cursing hurts nobody but the allowance of cursingcan hurt somebody believe it or not.
Not allowing cursing hurts everybody. Unoffensively cursing hurts nobody.

KarasuroKun

PWO Composer
Game Editor
Website
bb089.bandcamp.com
Define, "unoffensive swearing". Being offended is a personal opinion. Things are offensive to some but not all. If you're wanting PWO to re-work the filters what words would you suggest be removed or added? And optionally, if you did make a list could you post it as an excel document with a 3 color code (Red, Yellow, Green) where red words would warrant immediate moderation, yellow would provide *** filters, and green are all the words/slang that you believe to be unoffensive to all?

thunderclap

Youngster
Keep the word filter if you must. Remove some words like "boobs". Let us say anything our minds can express with the words we are given, unless someone is actually so offended that they create a report. I can tolerate the word filter but the sissy-boy policing/"moderation" with threat of the ban-hammer drives me mental.

I say this respectfully, of course :)

KarasuroKun

PWO Composer
Game Editor
Website
bb089.bandcamp.com
thunderclap said:
Keep the word filter if you must. Remove some words like "boobs". Let us say anything our minds can express with the words we are given, unless someone is actually so offended that they create a report. I can tolerate the word filter but the sissy-boy policing/"moderation" with threat of the ban-hammer drives me mental.

I say this respectfully, of course :)

there are many words to describe a single word. some are classified as civil uses and other defined as offensive uses or trash talk. If a word is crude it will remain in the filter.

I say we should all speak with Shakespearean demeanor.

Klay

Youngster
Voted "no", and I don't even have to explain why.

whisMEAT

Youngster
if i see couple of "yes" i may try to argue in long posts. but now in short ,simple,cool "no".

Saric

Youngster
Looks like some people have been told off or banned in the past because of their language here...

More to the point of the thread. Voted "no". I think the reason here should be fairly obvious. PWO has always been PG for...obvious reasons.

You told me yourself you dislike the no swearing rule Jinji. A five year old kid can look up beheading videos and snuff films .. we should be happy they are playing Pokemon instead of making fertilizer bombs..
Saying that children can find worse elsewhere is an absolutely asinine argument. Sure they can find worse. If they look. The best PWO can do is minimize the exposure to that.

Like I get you may want to curse. I get that it might be part of your natural vocabulary. Just do it somewhere else then instead of whining and moaning about a rule that you don't personally like.

Not allowing cursing hurts nobody. I'm sorry your feelings are hurt over that you can't use a few words. The world is unfair I know.

I can tolerate the word filter but the sissy-boy policing/"moderation" with threat of the ban-hammer drives me mental.
People don't just get banned for cursing or using offensive language. This doesn't and has never happened. Take it from someone who's been banned for this sort of thing in the past, it's always because of whatever else is with it. Arguing. Flaming. Name calling. You're not gonna get banned for dropping a few curse words. You're going to get muted or kicked sure, but beyond that unless it's excessive/you've been warned, nothing is going to happen.
And FYI if you can't formulate an argument without insulting the other parties, you're bad at arguing.

thunderclap

Youngster
Saric said:
Looks like some people have been told off or banned in the past because of their language here...

More to the point of the thread. Voted "no". I think the reason here should be fairly obvious. PWO has always been PG for...obvious reasons.

Saying that children can find worse elsewhere is an absolutely asinine argument. Sure they can find worse. If they look. The best PWO can do is minimize the exposure to that.

Like I get you may want to curse. I get that it might be part of your natural vocabulary. Just do it somewhere else then instead of whining and moaning about a rule that you don't personally like.

Not allowing cursing hurts nobody. I'm sorry your feelings are hurt over that you can't use a few words. The world is unfair I know.

I can tolerate the word filter but the sissy-boy policing/"moderation" with threat of the ban-hammer drives me mental.
People don't just get banned for cursing or using offensive language. This doesn't and has never happened. Take it from someone who's been banned for this sort of thing in the past, it's always because of whatever else is with it. Arguing. Flaming. Name calling. You're not gonna get banned for dropping a few curse words. You're going to get muted or kicked sure, but beyond that unless it's excessive/you've been warned, nothing is going to happen.
And FYI if you can't formulate an argument without insulting the other parties, you're bad at arguing.
When I made this poll I believed the results would be dramatically in favour of repealing the swearing rules. That is clearly not the case, so I'm happy to let this thread die gracefully. We had a good discussion about it on the discord chat which touched on most of the points you made. I'm happy that we have an open enough community where concerns and suggestions are listened to and open for discussion. I also had the false impression that the swearing rules are much more strictly enforced than they seem to be, with more bans and permanent repercussions. All is good and I'll try to whine less about this particular topic ;).

For reference, staff have approved normal human-talk in our new "18+" channel in-game. There is still a language filter there but we can substitute vegetable names for naughty words.

When are you coming back to play Saric? Haven't seen you around in ages!

Saric

Youngster
thunderclap said:
Saric said:

When I made this poll I believed the results would be dramatically in favour of repealing the swearing rules. That is clearly not the case, so I'm happy to let this thread die gracefully. We had a good discussion about it on the discord chat which touched on most of the points you made. I'm happy that we have an open enough community where concerns and suggestions are listened to and open for discussion. I also had the false impression that the swearing rules are much more strictly enforced than they seem to be, with more bans and permanent repercussions. All is good and I'll try to whine less about this particular topic ;).

For reference, staff have approved normal human-talk in our new "18+" channel in-game. There is still a language filter there but we can substitute vegetable names for naughty words.

When are you coming back to play Saric? Haven't seen you around in ages!
Off topic ofc.

Short answer: Either never, or not anytime soon. For now I've lost complete interest in the game bar maybe an event or swarm or two. This has happened before so who knows if I will or not  :p

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Well, I think based on what thunderclap just said, this topic can now be closed :)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Saric said:
You're not gonna get banned for dropping a few curse words. You're going to get muted or kicked sure, but beyond that unless it's excessive/you've been warned, nothing is going to happen.

Just to clarify. We will ban players who swear when no moderators are around to actually do the muting or kicking. Deliberate swearing will also not be taken lightly. The ban will be temporary and all bans can be appealed, but the message here is to not take advantage of the ingame chat while no moderators are about. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.