Shiny Colors

Towel

Youngster
Greetings. As you know, the economy and shinies have been the main preoccupation for many people. Me and some very very weird person (justme1306) were just talking and he made a very interesting suggestion. What if there were more than 1 shiny form/color available in game? I know this means making new sprites for every pokemon, so I am fully aware this will not happen tomorrow (or anywhere in the near future), but I thought it was very interesting and certainly worth mentioning. Some form/color could be harder to obtain, making them more valuable. If implemented, it would immediately stimulate the economy, as people would be buying memberships and hunting for those new shiny colors. Please let me know what you think, I believe it could be very beneficial to the game as well as being unique to PWO.

Klay

Youngster
because things have names, and shiny colors is a meh name idea, it will be referred as color-schwifted in this post

As said ingame, current pokémon sprites (battle, overworld and icon) take 6542 files (total of 4,89 Mo). Adding 2 new color-schwifteds (as you both were saying ingame) means adding 5864 files (approx. 4,38 Mo). For a cosmetic idea, it'll take a looong time and some space for a low benefit.

the economy and shinies have been the main preoccupation for many people

Many people who are mostly old players and/or retired players. Ask 20 new players why they start playing PWO, I doubt half of them would answer either "economy" or "shinies".if they answer ofc, but that's another problem

If implemented, it would immediately stimulate the economy, as people would be buying memberships and hunting for those new shiny colors

Nope, it will not stimulate the economy. Donations probably(tho I'd like to know who isn't buying membership those days BUT would buy ms after a color-schwifted update), but not economy.
At least not immediately. Regular shiny being 1/2048 with ms, knowing you can't always find regular shinies with ms during a month, it will take at least 2 or 3 months before someone founds a color-schwifted shiny T1. And not in favor of new players.

It would be something half-original (personally remember one pokémon mmo with, like, 10 different types of shiny?), but it's not what will keep new players nor bring more. And about retired players, if they left, they're not players anymore. Making new features for people who aren't even here anymore is like trying to revive deads. No matter how rude it may sound, it's a fact.

If you really want to change colors of green and pink shinies(because that's how this idea started), you can change it in your client files directly. Other people will not see it (unless they also do that on their side), but at least it will not make staff working on something that big for a question of personal taste.
+ blue nidoking is ugly

whisMEAT

Youngster
himmm half agree to both side. idk about coding magic but making it some random between certain bunch of colors is still takes good time? i mean if it is like "arms be red" ,"body be green" it maybe possible to both do the thing and escape from long coding. just saying without any knowledge on computer magic

Towel

Youngster
Greetings again. It has been pointed out by some mysterious person the amount of work that such a project would require, so I came up with an alternative. What if only a few select pokemon were placed exclusively in event settings?

Klay

Youngster
Mr.Toweliiiiie said:
Greetings again. It has been pointed out by some mysterious person the amount of work that such a project would require, so I came up with an alternative. What if only a few select pokemon were chosen and placed exclusively in event settings?

that mysterious person is me :D

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Mr.Toweliiiiie said:
Greetings. As you know, the economy and shinies have been the main preoccupation for many people. Me and some very very weird person (justme1306) were just talking and he made a very interesting suggestion. What if there were more than 1 shiny form/color available in game? I know this means making new sprites for every pokemon, so I am fully aware this will not happen tomorrow (or anywhere in the near future), but I thought it was very interesting and certainly worth mentioning. Some form/color could be harder to obtain, making them more valuable. If implemented, it would immediately stimulate the economy, as people would be buying memberships and hunting for those new shiny colors. Please let me know what you think, I believe it could be very beneficial to the game as well as being unique to PWO.

Nice idea :D (Well besides the fact you came up with it but I'm sure we can look over that fault) would be cool to see a bit of variety although I'm not sure how much it would stimulate the economy. (It would make shiny pokemon that are already hard to sell even harder to sell) however the select people lucky enough to get these would certainly have their economic value rise. Great idea though, really like it.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Back in the days when Arenya was still head of mapping (so very early in PWO's history), a proposal was put forward for "blazing Pokémon". This would be a Pokémon variant exclusive to PWO where Pokémon would appear to be on fire or have a burning element to them. It was decided against, though I don't remember the exact reasons. However, I seem to recall they included such things as "cheesiness" and a general unwillingness to meddle too much with what makes Pokémon, Pokémon.

Trainer5

Youngster
Jinji said:
Back in the days when Arenya was still head of mapping (so very early in PWO's history), a proposal was put forward for "blazing Pokémon". This would be a Pokémon variant exclusive to PWO where Pokémon would appear to be on fire or have a burning element to them. It was decided against, though I don't remember the exact reasons. However, I seem to recall they included such things as "cheesiness" and a general unwillingness to meddle too much with what makes Pokémon, Pokémon.

Maybe that idea would've spiced things up a bit. Maybe you could use a special item for this to happen

justme1306

Youngster
yeah pwo always tried to keep doing what original games do - they should try to add things there is not in original games since....its not an original pokemon game

Kingstone

Interesting idea, can move the game in a certain way (business, hunting).
I like this idea, but instead of shinys of other colors, I prefer pokemons like crystal Onix, or pokemons of the island Pinkan.

EP088.png

0676199.jpg

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
I like the idea, but as already stated, it would take A LOT of time to cover all Pokémon. Definitely a few selected ones would be cool though and definitely allow some bragging rights ;) Can always just have a selected bunch and add them in slowly, even. I think doing the whole Pokédex would somewhat ruin the appeal and such.

Klay

Youngster
Mr.Toweliiiiie said:
Greetings again. It has been pointed out by some mysterious person the amount of work that such a project would require, so I came up with an alternative. What if only a few select pokemon were placed exclusively in event settings?

Kingstone said:
Interesting idea, can move the game in a certain way (business, hunting).
I like this idea, but instead of shinys of other colors, I prefer pokemons like crystal Onix, or pokemons of the island Pinkan.

EP088.png

0676199.jpg

Pansy said:
I like the idea, but as already stated, it would take A LOT of time to cover all Pokémon. Definitely a few selected ones would be cool though and definitely allow some bragging rights ;) Can always just have a selected bunch and add them in slowly, even. I think doing the whole Pokédex would somewhat ruin the appeal and such.

While I'm not for the original idea, selected poks for event uses (like crystal onix or black tyrannitar) or special areas not always open (for stuff like pinkan species or christmas-hat poks) sound more interesting and feasible. Might even be more interesting if PWO gets things that exists neither in the anime nor the manga (but still with a selected little group of species each time).
Idea to not spoil in client if used for events: release a new client at the same time as the event, and implement the event-specific species in an Event folder (in Back/Follow/Front/Icon folders). This way, people could only see what was released before, and not what is about to come.

justme1306

Youngster
it doesnt need to have all the pokemon done in a day - it can be added one by one - example magikarp added for swarm only - then 1-2 weeks later or a month could be poliwag - having multiple colors would make more things to collect and sell - its not all about the look

thunderclap

Youngster
You can use Batch Conversion in Irfanview to swap the RGB color profile of all 4000 sprites in about 4 seconds. It can scan recursive folders and rename the output files.

What should the rarity be of these shinies? Doubt anyone's in favour of having easier novelty tier 2-5 shinies, but if you want me to get excited about finding a purple shiny Zubat that's 10x harder to find than a normal shiny zubat, you can think again.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I love the idea, but I'm biased because I also put this forward many years ago. lol I even thought it would be cool to 'collect a team' of all different shinies of the same type and battle with them, just for fun of course. I love the idea of having events for crystal onix and other unique variations. I'd definitely be there for that one!

As suggested, the work for the extra shinies shouldn't be too difficult. I say that as nothing like an expert of course, but just changing a colour and nothing else shouldn't mean a whole re-work of the sprite. But I don't think we need to or should dump every shiny version in at once, it could be started in a swarm event maybe and just left available after that. And rather than just being completely random you could make it so you can only find blue geodude in mt moon b1f but red geodude in carved cavern- making it easier to hunt for one or the other to build your collection.

Pokemon Go just adds a shiny or two at a time in events and that works pretty well, keeping the excitement for each pretty fresh each time while at the same time giving you something new to hunt after the event introduces them. Plenty of whingers who don't approve of how Pokemon Go does stuff but I don't listen to them- except for a laugh. ;)

LunaticJames

Content maker
Look at me all logged in and stuff.

I'm not at my pc right now, but I've already made a select bunch of special shinies for use in-game a few years back from a failed event idea. 

I don't like the idea of just using Nintendo's ways of special shinies (Crystal onix) and would rather original versions. However the reason the idea was rejected in the first place was because it could become too gimmicky. 

But that was then. I'll post some art over the weekend to gauge feedback and then consider how to go forward.

Trainer5

Youngster
LunaticJames said:
Look at me all logged in and stuff.

But that was then. I'll post some art over the weekend to gauge feedback and then consider how to go forward.

That's awesome luna :D

whisMEAT

Youngster
kingstones idea sounds cool and may be best wtih quest or event, and could be fun. it can be even making one of your poke to be pink or one of rock or ground pokemon to look crystal. sounds fun to me but again labor for this i may take long. quest may be really interesting though...

but about the making them for certain pokes, what about voting for it to players? it would be bluntly direct for the aim of this color thingy. people get to choose, some initiative to interract, fun to talk about or even voting suggested colours from players. more satisfactory for players and also less work for the time being.

*ofcourse purely black persian will be the most awesome thingy but we can vote for other lame stuff XD