Shed Shell

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
That item is really essential. it allows the holder to switch out (but not flee or Teleport) even if it is trapped by a move or Ability.

I'll basically explain my point of view: After the release of Draco-Meteor, dragons were obviously over used and players actually used more ice pokemon to counter such dragons, especially Mamoswine. This pokemon is really tough to switch any pokemon into it to take the lowest damage possible especially if it holds Choice Band or even Life Orb. And that's why the best check (switch in) to wall Mamoswine is Skarmory. Skarmory's problem is that it's a very good PvP pokemon but it gets trapped by magnetpull ability Magneton/Magnezone which makes it pretty useless since it gets trapped and killed. Also without the useful usage of Skarmory, that gives everyone a tough time switching into a Mamoswine. Holding Shed Shell will allow it escape magnet pull.

Same story with rock types that gets trapped by arena trap Dugtrio for example. I hope this gets looked into and applied. It's not even hard to implement. Basically allow the holder to switch from trappers.

Last edited:

LunaticJames

Content maker
[many words]
I hope this gets looked into and applied. It's not even hard to implement. Basically allow the holder to switch from trappers.

Shed Shell works as intended. Minus a message stating that it was doing so. Leafeon was holding one and was switched, Glaceon wasn't and got stuck.
Z10DOO4.png

This can be added in the near/medium future after we finish with current tasks. Just a discussion on where how to implement its acquisition method now.
Internet told me this is a drop item from Venomoth, which is in Cerulean cave B1F at T1. Could also be put into battle tower, but I'm not too much of a fan of adding more to the BT.
Thoughts?

Isguros

Youngster
Of course, in order to create a balanced battling environment, I'm sure PWO intends to release most, if not all battle items at some point. Shed Shell however isn't exactly fist on my list of those that should be implemented post-haste. Your main, and let's face it, only reason you've suggested it is because two of the most powerful Pokemon in the game, Scizor and Skarmory, might not be able to switch out if the opponent forgoes one of its party slots to bring a Magneton to try to keep those two threats in check; And now you're pleading to make Skarmory even more indispensable because Draco Meteor has shaken up the balance enough that Skarmory is the only Pokemon to deal with the repercussions? I know Mamoswine is a incredibly good Pokemon, but up until now they still could have been dealt with, and that hasn't changed; you'll probably just need to bring Pokemon that can keep it in check if people keep bringing it.

P.S.: I know the Dugtrio part was a joke, but it's probably better to ban Arena Trap than to rely on an item such as this: cause no one in their right mind would slap a Shed Shell on their Rock type Pokemon because they fear the oppoent bringing Arena Trap Dugtrio.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
Shed Shell works as intended. Minus a message stating that it was doing so. Leafeon was holding one and was switched, Glaceon wasn't and got stuck.
Z10DOO4.png

This can be added in the near/medium future after we finish with current tasks. Just a discussion on where how to implement its acquisition method now.
Internet told me this is a drop item from Venomoth, which is in Cerulean cave B1F at T1. Could also be put into battle tower, but I'm not too much of a fan of adding more to the BT.
Thoughts?
Well, it's an item that would make a disadvantage if there are no trappers or if the pokemon you use isn't affected much by being trapped. So it's not even as useful as choice items to be available on BT all the time. In my opinion it's good to have it as a drop item from such Venomoths too yeah.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
Of course, in order to create a balanced battling environment, I'm sure PWO intends to release most, if not all battle items at some point. Shed Shell however isn't exactly fist on my list of those that should be implemented post-haste. Your main, and let's face it, only reason you've suggested it is because two of the most powerful Pokemon in the game, Scizor and Skarmory, might not be able to switch out if the opponent forgoes one of its party slots to bring a Magneton to try to keep those two threats in check; And now you're pleading to make Skarmory even more indispensable because Draco Meteor has shaken up the balance enough that Skarmory is the only Pokemon to deal with the repercussions? I know Mamoswine is a incredibly good Pokemon, but up until now they still could have been dealt with, and that hasn't changed; you'll probably just need to bring Pokemon that can keep it in check if people keep bringing it.

P.S.: I know the Dugtrio part was a joke, but it's probably better to ban Arena Trap than to rely on an item such as this: cause no one in their right mind would slap a Shed Shell on their Rock type Pokemon because they fear the oppoent bringing Arena Trap Dugtrio.
First of all, Scizor never have any problems and it will always be a good pokemon with or without the release of Shed Shell. Hence why I didn't even mention it in thread. Secondly, once you go for a defensive core team, you will always find it difficult to check a mamoswine without much sweepers. Yet like you said it's not the biggest problem but having an item that would make some tactics or some pokemon more useful and usable, is always a good thing. Don't hold through the skarmory example too much. An arena trap banded dugtrio can trap and ohko many pokemon as well like Arcanine, , Magnezone/ton (the trappers on their own), Alakazam, Espeon and of course the list goes on and on. Those pokes that can't be switched out and gets a huge damage from banded earthquake that would ohko them. That's even why dugtrio was banded on Showdown OU after smogon forums discussions during get 5/6 on ORAS. If we start talking about banning things, lets be honest, players just send battles and play, They are not aware of many clauses or rules that are being applied on real PvPing platforms. Pokemon like Dugtrio are banned and pokemon like Blaziken is even UBER tier etc. But anyhow Just to mention, Shed Shell is not an item for tyranitar nor scizor or skarmory only and having much clauses/rules when you type b100 isn't a healthy things. Such bans can be made on tournaments but it's hosts and that's will be the most suitable thing.

Your main, and let's face it, only reason you've suggested it is because two of the most powerful Pokemon in the game, Scizor and Skarmory, might not be able to switch out if the opponent forgoes one of its party slots to bring a Magneton to try to keep those two threats in check
I already made great teams without these two and without any trappers as well.

Last edited:

Isguros

Youngster
Pokemon like Dugtrio are banned
I don't think that Dugtrio has ever been banned. Arena Trap (and Shadow Tag) is banned because, like you said, they're able to hold the majority of opposing Pokemon on the field and combined with a banded EQ from a speedy Dugtrio is the reason they called it 'the revenge killer'. Take that ability away and Dugtrio is your run of the mill underwhelming glass cannon. I'm aware that it's hard for players to enforce rules during battles, and that most of the players just want to grab a couple of Pokemon and brawl it out, but on the other hand we, the community as a whole, have come together and almost unanimously embraced sleep clause. And if Dugtrio truly has been as destructive and prevalent in PvP battles as you make it appear, then surely Arena Trap will succumb to the same fate.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
I don't think that Dugtrio has ever been banned. Arena Trap (and Shadow Tag) is banned because, like you said, they're able to hold the majority of opposing Pokemon on the field and combined with a banded EQ from a speedy Dugtrio is the reason they called it 'the revenge killer'. Take that ability away and Dugtrio is your run of the mill underwhelming glass cannon. I'm aware that it's hard for players to enforce rules during battles, and that most of the players just want to grab a couple of Pokemon and brawl it out, but on the other hand we, the community as a whole, have come together and almost unanimously embraced sleep clause. And if Dugtrio truly has been as destructive and prevalent in PvP battles as you make it appear, then surely Arena Trap will succumb to the same fate.
1660857375921.png
The pokemon itself too was banned not Arena trap only. But you're correct in this matter #EZ.

LunaticJames

Content maker
I'm getting the sense that while Shed Skin is a nice to add, there are more important items that should be coming before it?

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
I'm getting the sense that while Shed Skin is a nice to add, there are more important items that should be coming before it?
1660858431047.png
1660858457797.png
1660858538018.png
1660858552365.png
1660858577973.png
1660858595472.png

Not gonna lie, the Heavy-duty boots might sound like a harsh dream but why not? Assault vest was in already and its doable among with others. Fixing lum and adding thick club would introduce pokemon like Marowak to PvP too. It was never used by anyone before and it's actually pretty decent with such item.

Last edited:

Isguros

Youngster
there are more important items that should be coming before it?
Big Root, Damp Rock, White Herb, Power Herb, Scope Lens, Light Clay, Iron Ball, Damage reducing berries, the rest of the gems and plates... Heck if it were to be the last hold item to be introduced, you could still say it was too soon.

AsianKid

Youngster
As one of the few (only active?) trap-users, I’m not fond of the idea of Shed Shell being introduced anytime soon. That said, I’m not going to be all up in arms about it’s release whenever it does. What I’m more concerned is the potential removal of checks to some of the most prolific and successful PvP Pokémon, namely Skarmory, Scizor, and Tyranitar as aforementioned. Mamoswine can be checked by a good prediction of Icicle Crash/Ice Shard or Earthquake - Starmie, Scizor, Bronzong, Gyarados, Weavile, Heracross, the list goes on. If it’s Band-ed all the merrier if you get it right.

The release of Assault Vests has already diminished the 60 power of Hidden Power Fire and Ice. An AV Scizor has the innate potential to stay in against a Magneton. Dugtrio is forced to run Band in fear of a HP-invested Tyranitar. Say you add Shed Shell on Scizor and/or Tyranitar specifically against me, how do you suppose I counter? Flamethrower into a 1.5x SpDef Tyranitar? Close Combats that will inevitably hit a Gliscor or Tangrowth? Arcanine is outclassed by most Mons right now. Scizor can answer switches with U-Turn. Mamoswine can only handle so much.

Bronzong/Skarmory, Scizor, Tyranitar, Heracross, Gliscor, Tangrowth/Slowpokes. Talk about a nightmarish line-up whether you can or cannot trap them (and we haven’t even considered the Dragons). Hope that Weavile doesn’t faint. Good luck getting Wobbuffet and Dugtrio in safely, you’ll have to sacrifice a Mon to get to Tyranitar. So yeah, Shed Shell is whatever honestly, I just like hating on weather counter Tyranitar and company. Light Clay all the way.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
As one of the few (only active?) trap-users, I’m not fond of the idea of Shed Shell being introduced anytime soon. That said, I’m not going to be all up in arms about it’s release whenever it does. What I’m more concerned is the potential removal of checks to some of the most prolific and successful PvP Pokémon, namely Skarmory, Scizor, and Tyranitar as aforementioned. Mamoswine can be checked by a good prediction of Icicle Crash/Ice Shard or Earthquake - Starmie, Scizor, Bronzong, Gyarados, Weavile, Heracross, the list goes on. If it’s Band-ed all the merrier if you get it right.

The release of Assault Vests has already diminished the 60 power of Hidden Power Fire and Ice. An AV Scizor has the innate potential to stay in against a Magneton. Dugtrio is forced to run Band in fear of a HP-invested Tyranitar. Say you add Shed Shell on Scizor and/or Tyranitar specifically against me, how do you suppose I counter? Flamethrower into a 1.5x SpDef Tyranitar? Close Combats that will inevitably hit a Gliscor or Tangrowth? Arcanine is outclassed by most Mons right now. Scizor can answer switches with U-Turn. Mamoswine can only handle so much.

Bronzong/Skarmory, Scizor, Tyranitar, Heracross, Gliscor, Tangrowth/Slowpokes. Talk about a nightmarish line-up whether you can or cannot trap them (and we haven’t even considered the Dragons). Hope that Weavile doesn’t faint. Good luck getting Wobbuffet and Dugtrio in safely, you’ll have to sacrifice a Mon to get to Tyranitar. So yeah, Shed Shell is whatever honestly, I just like hating on weather counter Tyranitar and company. Light Clay all the way.
It's an opinion to be respected as well. I'm just looking at a general view of having a safe check nothing more. Also looking at a perfect environment with all items and things working and in your hands, you'd have to adapt by then. Yet the meta is offensive now and fresh and more enjoyable in my opinion so with whatever happens, we are good to go.

But items like berries and thick bone and stuff we all mentioned up that would introduce newer pokes to the game will always be a great thing too.

lWtRl

Youngster
Tbh, the Berries? Lum Berry for example... It was introduced into the game but yet it is not working properly. Chesto, Occa, Passho, Wacan, Rindo, Yache, Chople, Shuca, Colbur, Salac, Custap Berries, and more... Would be nice if they are permanently consumed upon usage in a battle, such that, players have to farm the Berries they want to use in battles from time to time.

Black Sludge, Light Clay, Plates. They can be added slowly, 1 by 1.

Last edited:

whisMEAT

Youngster
I'm kind of a "%51 for" this. Anything that doesnt beg for fairy typing , as it would be quite an effort to bring them if there were to come, in Gen5, and doesnt create a very limited meta would be an imporvement for me. If such a ban exsits and if such an item exist to counter it, why not implement it? On the other hand, after such a magne market and hype should this be added that fast while we alredy have fireblasts and heatwaves around? magnes are threathened by a lot fo fire moves, by starmie which is quite common), restricted in move sets and now they cant trap 2 things they can/shoud trap. I can hear a lot fo people "meh"ing... If everything could be added in an instsant this may be ignored but world is not like that.

On the other hand this gives skarmory its lost status bakc, which is not weak at all, as isguros said. Fadoka, isguros and Asiankid underlined how it would be better, besides these, if there were such an item stealth rock would be even more crutial, where skarmory excells in any poke else. Im not sure if this threatens mamo. Although i think mamo is too dangerous and try caculate my teams especialy against mamo and starmie, i think ice types should enjoy such advantage. There is no fairy and not many ice pokemons to revenge kill dragons.

Sayin these, im not using neither mamo nor skar for the time being and i guess i used mamo no more then 5 fights. As a "crazy scientist" team inventor, i think both arena trap is legit, given the number or volt switch and u turn moves and the sacrifice they make to trap, and as well having an item that is avalible for OU. For the time being i see the sacrifice of arena trap is close to or equal to sacrifice of magnet-pull and choice band, neither a ban nor a check is neccessary. But i must say, i havent battled in showdown much at all, i cant see how aerna trap cant break pwo. In the end, teams evolves after fighting.