Sad Picture

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
1. Did you check the actual number of online players with the /online command? Sometimes players put themselves as anonymous, which means they won't appear on the online list.
2. When were you playing when this happened? If it was during a peak working hour or after a server crash, the number of players will naturally be lower.

I do agree with the sentiment though. The PWO Community is a fraction of the size it once was, and it can often lead to the game feeling rather empty and lonely. While we don't aim for PWO to be a massive community like one of the major MMOs, we do want to foster a sizeable community of friends working, playing and enjoying themselves together with as much diversity and inclusivity as possible. We're working on a number of updates to attempt to grow the game over the coming months and offer more for players; but of course, the best way to grow is to tell your friends and bring other people in to share the joy with you :)

Klay

Youngster
Screen_Shot_02-26-20_at_09.49_PM.PNG

Towel never came.

shodan21

Youngster
Although it may not be the same on all PCs, usually if you push the prnt/screen it creates a screen shot. You can then save the screen shot as a file and upload it on the forums.:cool:

alt-prntsc to capture just the currently-focused window. or, on windows, snipping tool.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
alt-prntsc to capture just the currently-focused window. or, on windows, snipping tool.
Interesting, see on mine if I push prntsc it brings up the snipping tool and all I need to do is crop what I'm wanting to screen shot right then and there xD

Future~Sight

Youngster
Website
www.matmartinez.net
I'll always miss PWO. If only for one day, maybe through some max effort communications, we could call back everyone to just see old "faces" and just hang around in game, it'd be so amazing. Just dreaming here, not holding any unreal expectations.
It was an escape, but it was amazing.

Alexbnr

I hope there are many updates, even something new to do, like carry on the "story", because people come during the events, Christmas, Halloween etc... so if there is news, people will come back
1. Did you check the actual number of online players with the /online command? Sometimes players put themselves as anonymous, which means they won't appear on the online list.
2. When were you playing when this happened? If it was during a peak working hour or after a server crash, the number of players will naturally be lower.

I do agree with the sentiment though. The PWO Community is a fraction of the size it once was, and it can often lead to the game feeling rather empty and lonely. While we don't aim for PWO to be a massive community like one of the major MMOs, we do want to foster a sizeable community of friends working, playing and enjoying themselves together with as much diversity and inclusivity as possible. We're working on a number of updates to attempt to grow the game over the coming months and offer more for players; but of course, the best way to grow is to tell your friends and bring other people in to share the joy with you :)

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
why did this happen?

Primarily because #1: this game is almost impossible to play and get anywhere in. #2: The story mode SUCKS. It needs an update, and I know just the one that would make this game extremely fun to play and get people to stay longer. The story mode only takes a few hours to complete, then players see no point in staying. I concur to some extent. There needs to be more single player content, and more multiplayer content.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster

This was from a while ago, not during the event. But I *did* check.

PWO Alone.jpg

thunderclap

Youngster
I don't disagree per se, but why post this right now when we have an awesome event with awesome quest and spawns and sprawling beautiful maps?

What I don't get is that when experienced talented people offer to help, and staff completely ignore them. Even when multiple offers in multiple places are made. The game is shortstaffed largely because the staff won't accept any help. Very glad to have Sorey on board though. Welcome Sorey!

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Primarily because #1: this game is almost impossible to play and get anywhere in.
I see this complaint alot but I really don't see it that way. I mean I've given all my stuff away twice and started fresh and always seem to end up just fine in a relatively short time and it doesn't even seem to take that much effort.
The story mode SUCKS.
I mean besides elite 4 and the regional team of villains, it has the exact same type of story as any of the official games. What do you want? A pokemon game that takes you on an epic journey full of emotional roller coasters and helps you find the meaning of life?
There needs to be more single player content, and more multiplayer content.
So more events or maybe daily quests? That's about all you can do as far as adding content. Again, it's a pokemon game, its quite limited do to it's highly simplistic gameplay formula, not alot you can do with it.

As far as events go, I'm always open to event ideas that I as a player can implement in unofficial events.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
it has the exact same type of story as any of the official games. What do you want?

What I *Don't* want is a duplicate of the official games. That is literally "unoriginal", and if I want that I can just play the official games. That's a part of why new players quit.

This is not how an MMORPG Pokemon game should play. We should be allowed free roam, to go where we want, when we want. But what happens is we have to follow an extremely linear story line that constantly blocks off routes to new areas until we do some mundane, boring story stuff.

The Gyms need to be entirely revamped. I already have the blue prints on who to change the gyms to make them more MMO story based and it would take 100s of hours to complete. But, there would also be swarms, events, and side quests that would distract the player, so players would end up with 1000s of hours of game play before actually completing the story.

There would be 1 Gym of each Type. You could join a Gym, and they'd give you a starter of that gyms type, and you could get access to special hunting grounds for pokemon of that type to fill in your team. Then, you *DEFEND* the GYM, not attack it in order to gain enough Rep at that gym to be considered a Senior Member. When you reach a high rank, you're allowed to Attack Other Gyms, and once you have defeated all Other Gyms, you can challenge your gyms leader, who will have a FULL Team of level 100s. Once you have done ALL of that, THEN you get that gyms badge.

Just for starters. Also, there'd be side quest type stuff which would allow you to get jobs, like Ranger, or PKMN Breeder, Pokemon Scout, Picnicker, Scientist, Expert, etc. and would change your sprite appropriately.

Events could potentially be huge things that could be stuff like fighting a forest fire. Gathering players in a spot where they all have water type pokemon and are all using Squirt Gun and the map changes from the forest fire map to the after the fire map, and eventually goes back to a normal map. Such disasters would effect pokemon spawns. And after a natural disaster, the pokemon rangers would need to re-stock the supplies of pokemon, and they would have to get the pokemon from breeders. And the entire community would have to work together to achieve rebuilding the natural habitats.

I do believe all of this, and more, is possible given the current technology and some updates.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
So a pokemon game that's not a pokemon game? Cool idea, feel free to get started on it. I'll check it out when it's done :D
Btw, I do like some of your ideas but I feel they are overly ambitious for a staff that works on this game for free as a hobby.

shodan21

Youngster
So a pokemon game that's not a pokemon game? Cool idea, feel free to get started on it. I'll check it out when it's done :D
Btw, I do like some of your ideas but I feel they are overly ambitious for a staff that works on this game for free as a hobby.

you mean, say, runescape? theres always that... lol.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
feel free to get started on it. I'll check it out when it's done

I've been tempted to make it for years. Copyright type stuff makes me nervous. If I just ignore the law and do as I please I could have it done pretty easily, and it would be epic.

overly ambitious for a staff that works on this game for free as a hobby

Yes, that is what I thought. The ideas are possible, but not likely anything that will come to be due to time restraints.

Saric

Youngster
I've been tempted to make it for years. Copyright type stuff makes me nervous. If I just ignore the law and do as I please I could have it done pretty easily, and it would be epic.

Yes, that is what I thought. The ideas are possible, but not likely anything that will come to be due to time restraints.
Or pure laziness and no drive to even touch the game anymore.
Seriously, i've been gone for about a year and barely anything has changed, and before that barely anything changed.
You get a few swarms or events, but thats something that GEs can handle.
As it is right now, i dont even think this is even being actively developed, so asking for anything that takes 5 minutes and a few commands, or a map that takes an hour to do is purely asking for too much.

thunderclap

Youngster
Good to see you Saric, but kinda weird time to complain when we just had a epic 3 week event, and got a new scripter on the staff team. Come back and play a bit! There's an unofficial Christmas hunting event starting soon.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Indeed. If anything, I'd say that the comments made here show extreme naivete when recent events are considered - and there is a lot more coming that we hope to reveal soon enough.