Route 8 Swarm feedback

LunaticJames

Content maker
Isguros said:
LunaticJames said:
What do you mean by this exactly?
But unlike the current system, where there can be deviations when it comes to average encounter time within a single tier (which you're trying to prove now..  :huh: ), the old system was said to have a fixed encounter rate for all the Pokemon in the same rarity.

That is incorrect. While old spawn rates did depend on the ratio given to append a rarity to, it was also a range, so barely any two spawns were ever the same, even if they were actually given the exact same values. 
This was recognised with the updated system by changing to the tier system, to not only move away and differ from the rarities and the common understandings that came with it, but to have a more reflective system that showed how each spawn interacted with each other.

A good example of this is by taking it to the extreme. If you had a spawn set with an input value of 1/230,000, it would be virtually impossible to find. But if that was the only spawn on the entire map, it's effective rate would be 1/1. The old system used input rates, while the new one uses effective rates to dictate rarity, and the gaps between rarities in the old system were disgustingly enormous.

Pushing forwards, I wanted to use this test as I felt we needed a swarm for the lols, and that the tier system could use some minor adjustments as Tier 1 is very wide, and as we can see in the data, not all Tier 1's are the same to the point where some players need to keep track of their own data just to find out what is Tier 1 and what is "Hard" Tier 1.

Results:
Thank you very much everyone for actually taking notes. And if you didn't, I hope you found something you liked.

I mentioned in a previous post that the average spawns being found were fairly accurate. Our spawn system is actually dictated with some weird formula that gives out an estimated time to find Pokemon which is then assigned a value between 1-5, and the idea behind this test-swarm truly came from a player mentioning a Pokemon was too difficult to find and asked if it was actually real, to which the answer is yes - Electabuzz in powerplant is real. Shockingly, Electabuzz in the powerplant was so difficult to find it might as well not exist and it had an extra 0 in it's values, effectively making it 10 times harder to find than it should have been.
This raised a question of what others were also effected, which have been found and fixed. (There was something even harder than Powerplant Electabuzz, get a lottery ticket), and of course, why so many Pokemon were treated as Tier 1, but not many of the other tiers 2-4.

From the results found by players, we have some data to share.

Data:
Below is the Player data of the swarm collated into one:

IMslb3w.png

Happily, everyone had a similar experience. For those who didn't find a Ralts, or Houndour. Don't worry, they were meant to be hard, and the rate was actually increased just before release. Even better, these stats actually show what we have in our tables for this Swarm:

DLCMqHY.png

In the above table, we can see that the player sample roughly matches the Game Data, but even more so, there is a large gap in tiers where some are 10-15 times harder to find than others, but both are still given Tier 1.
Another Tier system has actually already been made by our Late and Great Bird Party host (shown above), but was not implemented due to no pressure do so at the time. No actual spawn rates would be modified to achieve this, but it would just shift the fence posts of where tier boundaries lie in order to give a better low range to spawns.

There might be a future swarm, or ingame challenge that the community can help with. Or maybe even another swarm like this one with changed values to see how it works. But this swarm was very useful and will provide the staff with some fodder for discussions.

Many Thanks~

Rigaudon

Youngster
Shockingly, Electabuzz in the powerplant was so difficult to find it might as well not exist and it had an extra 0 in it's values, effectively making it 10 times harder to find than it should have been.

Whoops.

There is a lot of potential for human error in this system. I looked at sheets until my eyes bled and apparently I saw numbers inaccurately after all this time. It's easy to put one number off when resetting back from a swarm, which is what I suspect I did.

As for testing things - don't forget I'm still in the corners and you know where to find me when it comes to needing specific information. I'm assuming you all have my handful of topics about swarms/spawns and stuff anyway, though.