Route 8 Swarm feedback

LunaticJames

Content maker
Ohai
Between the posting of this topic, and Sunday afternoon UTC, there will be a swarm on route 8 featuring 5 different than normal Pokemon

The /list of route 8 is below
Tier 1 - Pidgey, Meowth, Oddish
Hard Tier 1 - Vulpix, Growlithe, Abra
Tier 3 - Cubone
Tier 4 - Houndour, Ralts

I mentioned Hard Tier 1, as while ingame lists this as Tier 1, it would be more difficult to find as the input rates are lower than normal, making them more rare. This swarm is meant to act as a test for seeing if this is actually the case, or if Vulpix, Growlithe, Abra are just as easy to find as Pidgey, Oddish and Meowth.

From the results of this, and further tests, we may look into the system of the game being more accurate in reflecting how tiers are listed.

If players feel like responding on their experience after, or during the swarm, please feel free to throw in your feedback to this topic. 

After this swarm is over and we replace their spawns with the original ones, I will release the exact rates we used for these spawns as a Percentage value to see if what your experience matches what we have in the system.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
LunaticJames said:
I mentioned Hard Tier 1, as while ingame lists this as Tier 1, it would be more difficult to find as the input rates are lower than normal, making them more rare. This swarm is meant to act as a test for seeing if this is actually the case, or if Vulpix, Growlithe, Abra are just as easy to find as Pidgey, Oddish and Meowth.

From the results of this, and further tests, we may look into the system of the game being more accurate in reflecting how tiers are listed.

Glad this finally getting addressed. These "hard" tiers description bothered me the moment the rarity change happened.

Klay

Youngster
itsatrap.jpg
what's the trap tho? this swarm? or this meme?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
e9f219dce30f13670158832310b0e42c.jpg

[Glow=#9932CC]It makes me so pleased to know that I helped implement a swarm that's for Science :) [/Glow]

Nshims

stat1.png

Here are my stats based on the fact that I have to find at least 1 of all the pokemon that are on the map.
Honestly speaking I would say that Houndour is T3,
taking into account statistics from other maps
I ended up in the conclusion that T3 is approximately in a range of
1/116 for the easiest and 1/560 for the most difficult.

I also noticed that it became more difficult to find Growlithe
and Oddish it was easier to find according to the original map statistics.

stat_O.png

LunaticJames

Content maker
Nshims said:
stat1.png

Here are my stats based on the fact that I have to find at least 1 of all the pokemon that are on the map.
Honestly speaking I would say that Houndour is T3,
taking into account statistics from other maps
I ended up in the conclusion that T3 is approximately in a range of
1/116 for the easiest and 1/560 for the most difficult.

I also noticed that it became more difficult to find Growlithe
and Oddish it was easier to find according to the original map statistics.

stat_O.png

This is actually a really good response which I will respond to transparently.
Your chart is correct, with some room for error.

Comparing Growlithe to it's original rate, it is currently slightly harder to find inside this swarm:
8.00% - Original Rate (you)
7.54% - Original Rate (ingame)
2.54% - Swarm Rate (you)
2.39% - Swarm rate (ingame)

I attempted to make it t2 as it should be, but it turned into hard t1. Which as Ramens said, is somewhat annoying but we have a proposed plan on how to fix this in the works.

Further - the chart you've shared is fairly accurate as well, though it will be a bit skewed as the rarer Swarm Pokemon not having enough data to give an accurate value. If you were able to simulate 1 million spawns you would see that Cubone and Houndour have vastly different rates, though your experience puts them at about the same.

1000 is still a very representable sample size. Well done. This response is useful feedback.

Isguros

Youngster
Personally I don't have any issues with the term 'hard Tier1' (or such a variant for any other tier for that matter). As long as exact spawn ratios aren't released, or God forbid; if we were to go back to standardized encounter rates for each tier, people will always compare spawn rates of different Pokemon with each other and create terms similar to these.

I am pleasantly surprised by this movement however; in the past it occurred that spawns weren't disclosed in maps and/or events at all, which often wasn't received as positive by some as it might have been intended.

LunaticJames

Content maker
Isguros said:
As long as exact spawn ratios aren't released, 

I will still release the swarms spawn rate at the end of this, but not the original route's ratios. I did respond to Nshims with the Original route 8 Growlithe rate, but that was just an exception to show his findings are accurate in both worlds.

Isguros said:
 or God forbid; if we were to go back to standardized encounter rates for each tier
What do you mean by this exactly?

Klay

Youngster
meh, wanted to share my stats too, but Nshims saw way more poks than me (.-. )
on my side Vulpix was the easiest hT1 tho, while Growlithe tended to be like Abra (2x more Vulpixes than Abras)

edit: here're my stats (sorry, didn't found everything, so it's far from "accurate")

Oddish: 116 found (30,769%)
Meowth: 93 found (24,668%)
Pidgey: 145 found (38,462%)
Vulpix: 11 found (2,918%)
Abra: 5 found (1,326%)
Growlithe: 7 found (1,857%)
Total: 377 found

edit 2.0: Jinji asked "how people respond to the idea of Pokémon in the same tier having different rates" in Discord. So here's my answer:
J'm'en fous royalement.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
Oddish : 128 found (34,782%)
Meowth : 114 found (30.978%)
Pidgey : 103 found (27,989%)
Vulpix : 3 found (0.815%)
Abra : 2 found (0.543%)
Growlithe : 15 found (4.076%)
Cubone : 2 found (0.543%)
Ralts : 1 found ( 0.271%)
Houndoor : 0 found ( 0%)
Total: 368 found

Isguros

Youngster
LunaticJames said:
What do you mean by this exactly?

Long ago, before the current rarity system was put into the game, there used to be another one. But unlike the current system, where there can be deviations when it comes to average encounter time within a single tier (which you're trying to prove now..  :huh: ), the old system was said to have a fixed encounter rate for all the Pokemon in the same rarity. Even though the new system is a lot more flexible, and in my opinion clearly an improvement. But as long as the encounter rates aren't available to the public, people will tend to make sub-categories trying to confirm their speculations about the exact encounter rate of a Pokemon compared to others within the same rarity tier. Even if there'd be a Tier1.5, people would still use terms like 'hard Tier1' and 'easy Tier2' to refer to the rarity of specific Pokemon. Therefore I don't really mind the current rarity system.

I hope Thesaurus has helped to paraphrase my previous epistle in a manner that's easier to comprehend.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
You aren't quite correct, Isg; but you're along the right lines and your points are valid.

Mumetufu

Oddish: 428 (~30,66%)
Meowth: 356 (~25,50%)
Pidgey: 522 (~37,40%)
Vulpix: 24 (~1,72%)
Growlithe: 36 (~2,58%)
Abra: 23 (~1,65%)
Cubone: 4 (~0,29%)
Houndour: 3 (~0,21%)
Ralts: 0
Total: 1396
Those were my encounters during ~3 hours. Through the entire swarm I've caught 1 Ralts, not included here. Also quite a lot of Cubones compare to Houndours so the percent might be around 0,6.
Also. Middle month in 3 month memebrship is broken and don't give any shinies :p

Nshims

stat2.png

I managed to get more entries and definitely Houndour jumped to T4 side.
Also the ratio of other pokémons has changed a little,
I hope it has brought more precision  :D .

Mallow-

Youngster
Though I not be able to join in the swarm as much as I may have liked, due to many things going on and the PC I have being junk, I still managed to hunt for a total of 114 minutes. In this time I recorded 305 Pokemon encounters - or 2.68 a minute on average.

This be the results:

gUaJQoZ.png

Hope I give some useful extra help ;)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
[Glow=#9932CC]The swarm has come to a close in the past hour and Route 8 has been returned to its original set of swarms. However, we are still open to further feedback from anyone who participated :) [/Glow]

Repmuh

I didn't write down all my encounters like the rest sorry.
But I've grinded for about 14-18h the past few days and the most notable encounters:

(edit: doing some basic math at ~2 encounters/min, grinding for around 17h would make me encounter around 2000 pokes, which could help with the encounters which I did keep track of)

tons of Pidgey
tons of Oddish
tons of Meowth
rather a lot of Growlithes (caught around 60, ran away with a few so lets say 75/2000 = 1/26.666)
quite a few Abras (started catching like 20, then started running away so don't really know, but less than growlithes)
quite a few Vulpix (ran away all the time so lost count, but I feel I encountred a bit less Vulpix than Abras)
5 Cubones (5/2000 = 1/400)
3 Houndours (3/2000 = 1/666.666)
1 Raltz (yay) (1/2000)

Thanks for the swarm. Was fun getting to know some of you a bit better ^^

Poopie out.