Replace surfboard with surfing poke/give access to move surf

gingerprimarina

Youngster
As the title suggests, I suggest the surfboard being replaced with a surfing pokemon for a few reasons.

1: The surfboard costs money. And the new players have a hard time farming cash for a surfboard to travel around, unless they get the puzzle right.
2: There are a plethora of pokemon that would largely benefit from getting surf in battle like some ice-types who normally do not learn any good water-type move (for e.g. scald) except hydro pump like: Lapras, Walrein and Dewgong.

Just using a pokemon to cross a river might be an easier option for newbies, since the surfboard is the major cause of concern during the initial moments of gameplay.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
No offense what so ever but if you agree than what's the point of this thread :O
I agree but that doesn't necessarily mean I want the features to stay.

Having noticed a lot of newbies suffer, I'd like this feature to change. This would be pretty desirable at the moment.

Last edited:

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
I like the idea of a surf tutor as far as useful moves goes (have asked about this many times) so that part would be cool, but I don't want it being a replacement for surfboard as I hate HMs and feel the removal of HMs is one of the things PWO has done that is better than what the official games make you deal with.

As DH said, if players aren't willing to put the effort in to get a surfboard, they likely wouldn't stick around long anyway. I mean the surfboard riddle isn't exactly hard if they write it down, and even if they don't get it right, buying the parts isn't overly expensive (especially if you only need to buy a couple of them.)

Sweetboi

Youngster
As long HMs are removable it's sounds like an idea that can work. Maybe it can be an alternative option at least for new players to choose from, whereas the old players keep the surfboards and can still use them as a souvenir from the older era of PWO. Or like if this were to happen, maybe turn the surfboard into something like the bike where it can travel a little faster on water, and the surf users will be at the current surfboard speed we're at now.

Isguros

Youngster
Adding the move Surf is amazing and all, but merely replacing the surfboard doesn't guarantee there won't be an equally... not good quest to unlock it.
If you don't want the inability to cross the water be another way to stop people from reaching the other region, you could ask to re-implement the transporters on Route 27 and New Bark Town for people with 8 badges (so not 7 and not 9).