Remove ignore button from pwo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
There's a worthwhile suggestion I'd like to make regarding the ignore feature.

As the title suggests, ignore button should be removed from pwo or rather renamed because block button already exists which serves the same purpose. So, I ask, why does the ignore button exist in pwo in the first place? Personally, I thought the word 'ignore' is a bit much and inappropriate for a human being to inflict upon another human being. It leans a bit on the extreme side, creating misunderstanding and confusion and if the intention is blocking it should be named so or removed altogether.

With the ignore button having a permanent effect now, there's literally no difference left between the block and the ignore buttons.

Now coming to the main point, I speak from my personal experience. This whole 'ignore' philosophy is stirring some negative vibes among the players and affecting their mental health in a certain way. Some players are just not careful when they do so, and the players on the receiving end end up getting hurt, annoyed, depressed, frustrated or lonely. Some players just like to abuse the ignore button for nothing.

The worst ones I've got so far are for not selling my epic pokemon, calling out a person for disconnecting during a battle, not lending a pokemon whenever I don't want to, over a joke and misunderstandings, etc. That's why I call it "abuse".

This community is meant for encouraging a positive mindset among players, and not for ruining the already messed up life of players who are trying to get some joy out of the game. I speak on behalf of the entire community.

Personally having suffered this relentlessly for over two years, my mental health is wrecked having suffered immensely to the point where, I'm not even sure if I can go back to being my former self.

I try my level best everyday, I assure you.

So, that's why I'd like to end the reign of this entire 'ignore' button...which has left me scarred for life.

Block feature in my opinion, is the best for keeping unwanted players at bay. And as far as the ignore feature is concerned, it has been creating negativity and taking the fun out of the game/community. So what I think would be more appropriate is a block/mute button.

Alternatively, players also suggested having an ignore button more like a mute button, so that even if a player is ignored, they are able to reach them or convey an important message, with a 10 minute gap between each message to avoid any case of spams.

If somehow removing or renaming the ignore button can be considered, it would create less negativity.

Last edited:

Isguros

Youngster
The /ignore and /block command serve the same purpose at this moment: to prevent all contact from a player until you choose to undo it. The /ignore command, however, is clearly better at doing so, since it's server based and therefore is able to keep working whenever people change their name. Of course, these commands might sound a bit drastic to to those on the receiving end in some situation, but unless we'd have access to a command like the old /ignore, that'd only last to the end of your online session, it's the only way to deal with certain kinds of people.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
The /ignore and /block command serve the same purpose at this moment: to prevent all contact from a player until you choose to undo it. The /ignore command, however, is clearly better at doing so, since it's server based and therefore is able to keep working whenever people change their name. Of course, these commands might sound a bit drastic to to those on the receiving end in some situation, but unless we'd have access to a command like the old /ignore, that'd only last to the end of your online session, it's the only way to deal with certain kinds of people.
Hence, I suggested the renaming or / modification mute feature.

whisMEAT

Youngster
during my 10-15 years of major depression it never occured me the possibility of being affected by being in the ignore/block list, but if you are truely traumatized by such a naming why not give change it. mental health is hard to deal with.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
I really call for the old temporary ignore button to be back. By changing it, I mean more like modifying it as per the above suggestion.

TSTheLuckyOne

I think this is a great idea. The ignore button and the block button serve the same purpose and I don't see the point in having both especially when the ignore button is a pretty harsh word.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
I think this is a great idea. The ignore button and the block button serve the same purpose and I don't see the point in having both especially when the ignore button is a pretty harsh word.
I agree, while some people didn't even have the courtesy to be kind and need to "learn" some manners. Their reactions are pretty uncalled for.
That's why I want to eliminate the ignore button.

Sweetboi

Youngster
Gingy is referring to the old ignore function but with some modifications. So she has a valid point. So maybe rewording the ignore/block function or maybe instead of the time automatically resetting after every session you log back in, a player could set the length of the duration. Being on a list can feel pretty upsetting so I think more of a discreet blocking/muting system can be a little less depressing.

Sweetboi

Youngster
Also please respect gingy's ideas. Please don't be disrespectful to her idea, we all have our say in the pwo community. She means well so please avoid laughing or making fun of her suggestion please. Especially laugh reactions, those are pretty uncalled for. She's trying to make a positive suggestion please try to respect, understand and keep the pwo community positive thank you.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
Gingy is referring to the old ignore function but with some modifications. So she has a valid point. So maybe rewording the ignore/block function or maybe instead of the time automatically resetting after every session you log back in, a player could set the length of the duration. Being on a list can feel pretty upsetting so I think more of a discreet blocking/muting system can be a little less depressing.
You spoke my mind there, Sweet.

whisMEAT

Youngster
The reason ignore/block used is unpleasent as the word itself, having some lame situation with another player. Giving extra work to staff to change the name to something cute, lets say snorlaxed, wont change anything besides adding extra work to staff member with no additional function in game.

Changing the name wont solve personal disputes, neither will prevent people "ignoring" each, or "snorlaxing". As i said , you are not the only mentally hurt one here, although mine is cured, overdramatising this or removing these feature will change nothing.

Lastly, we neither have to play this game with every online player nor talk with them. One of the two buttons may be useless, which doesnt realy effect anything, but suggesting it to "10 min mute" is quite an "abuse" of the situation here. Do we have to keep muting people for every 10 minutes because gingy has something to say to someone who doesnt want to hear you?

About laugh: ignore philosophy, if i couldnt sell =abuse, speaking of entire community....:D
About respecting: I respect her rights but idea is very flawed. If she has the right to overdramatize i also have a right to laugh. No, she doesnt have a valid point, thats my idea if you want to respect ideas. Im not angry, just pointing that this respect issue has no end.

Last note: If we do more polemic here, the suggestion will be locked for further comment. Not that i think that it will be bad thing :D but i dont want to sabotage like this, i prefer raising arguments.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
The reason ignore/block used is unpleasent as the word itself, having some lame situation with another player. Giving extra work to staff to change the name to something cute, lets say snorlaxed, wont change anything besides adding extra work to staff member with no additional function in game.

Changing the name wont solve personal disputes, neither will prevent people "ignoring" each, or "snorlaxing". As i said , you are not the only mentally hurt one here, although mine is cured, overdramatising this or removing these feature will change nothing.

Lastly, we neither have to play this game with every online player nor talk with them. One of the two buttons may be useless, which doesnt realy effect anything, but suggesting it to "10 min mute" is quite an "abuse" of the situation here. Do we have to keep muting people for every 10 minutes because gingy has something to say to someone who doesnt want to hear you?

About laugh: ignore philosophy, if i couldnt sell =abuse, speaking of entire community....:D
About respecting: I respect her rights but idea is very flawed. If she has the right to overdramatize i also have a right to laugh. No, she doesnt have a valid point, thats my idea if you want to respect ideas. Im not angry, just pointing that this respect issue has no end.

Last note: If we do more polemic here, the suggestion will be locked for further comment. Not that i think that it will be bad thing :D but i dont want to sabotage like this, i prefer raising arguments.
Like Sweet said.

It would certainly be better for you to not to disrespect my opinions.

I'm well aware I'm not the only one. And other players are involved, hence the suggestion.

Stop commenting and slandering people incessantly on my thread. As you may know, you are one of the people who abuses the "ignore" button.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
I know this topic is up for debate. But I have the right to say what I wanted.

Hence, I said.

My ideas are not flawed, its just the way you look at it. If you have a negative outlook, its not my problem.

Respecting other people and their opinions is something which you need to "learn" overtime.

Last edited:

Klay

Youngster
Agree with whispie here, the block/ignore feature should be as it currently is. It works the same way in other mmos, and even in social medias.
Already got harrassed several times, even threatened at least twice in PWO by a currently active player, with no action taken by staff members. If I can't block/ignore them, that's not Hoenn that'll ever bring me back here.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
Agree with whispie here, the block/ignore feature should be as it currently is. It works the same way in other mmos, and even in social medias.
Already got harrassed several times, even threatened at least twice in PWO by a currently active player, with no action taken by staff members. If I can't block/ignore them, that's not Hoenn that'll ever bring me back here.
There's no need of two features to be present at the same time in-game.

That's what I suggested. Only having a block feature.

My post mentions that. You would've noticed if you read correctly.

Last edited:

gingerprimarina

Youngster
Again, if I've not got my point across.

I'm not referencing the ignore and block buttons together.

They are very separate in my opinion, and serve the same purpose.

So, there only needs to be one in the server.

Klay

Youngster
Alternatively, players also suggested having an ignore button more like a mute button, so that even if a player is ignored, they are able to reach them or convey an important message, with a 10 minute gap between each message to avoid any case of spams.
This is what bothers me in your suggestion.

The whole "2 names for one thing" stuff is more like another oversight from staff members than something deliberate from them imo:
They first had the /block feature, which kept infos on client, and then they made a /ignore feature (or improved it, idr if it was a session-limited block or if it wasn't existing) to store infos directly on server (which is more handy).
And they forgot to remove the /block feature in the process.
Nothing to make a big deal of, one day they'll fix it, as they removed reputation from the server while it was officially not used anymore by NPCs for years.

gingerprimarina

Youngster
This is what bothers me in your suggestion.

The whole "2 names for one thing" stuff is more like another oversight from staff members than something deliberate from them imo:
They first had the /block feature, which kept infos on client, and then they made a /ignore feature (or improved it, idr if it was a session-limited block or if it wasn't existing) to store infos directly on server (which is more handy).
And they forgot to remove the /block feature in the process.
Nothing to make a big deal of, one day they'll fix it, as they removed reputation from the server while it was officially not used anymore by NPCs for years.
This is a suggestion from another player.

Not myself. So, thought I'd include it. It can be useful in some situations.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
I think ignore is a perfectly acceptable term as it's point is to well, ignore. Also ignore works better than block because people can't by pass it with a simple name change which was always the work around in the past.

I say leave it as it is.
If people don't want to be ignored then don't do something that warrants it. Ignore is a good tool for people who like to try and enjoy the game instead of participating in long drawn out dramas or any other types of unecessary conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.