Re-release old events

thunderclap

Youngster
Most people weren't around for the old ones. Staff keep saying they don't want to divert attention away from adding permanent new content to the game. So just re-release events. For pokemon that aren't that special anymore, for whatever reason, you can tweak a thing or two, but 99.5% of the work should be done already.

This game had great momentum earlier in the year. Now I feel it needs another little spark. I don't personally feel events are always the greatest solution, but they can be the lesser of multiple evils.

(thanks Alex717 for the suggestion).

And another somewhat random, respectful suggestion: If any staff member doubts that they will be able to bring any positive energy to the game anymore, why not change your title to "Legend Ex-Staff" or "On Hiatus" or something and empower the other staffpeople with some breathing room? Maybe re-discover the joy for PWO on a new player secret alt account, unhinged from your staff burdens. We appreciate everything you have done.

Last edited:

Klay

Youngster
But most of old events were made without Lua, so it means rewritting every event NPCs
and making again these old maps which weren't working anymore (because of idk which update)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Klay is correct. PWO's technology has come on a long way over the years; and many old events would no longer be compatible with the current server and client code. That's assuming the files even exist in the first place - which may not necessarily be the case any more for the reaaaaaaaally old events...

shodan21

Youngster
But most of old events were made without Lua, so it means rewritting every event NPCs
and making again these old maps which weren't working anymore (because of idk which update)
tbh, there would still be problems even if the maps and npcs worked just fine. players who participated in the original event have quest variables that would need to be reset or redone, and may also have leftover quest items that could give them an unfair advantage, among other issues.

Isguros

Youngster
I may be/am in the minority over here, but most quests aren't that interesting, and attempts to make them interesting only makes them annoying and tedious. If I interpreted the suggestion it's more about reusing old maps so that people can hunt for other Pokemon for a while. I don't believe an (elaborate) quest line is necessary in the slightest, but you could always throw in a simple drop item currency to make items or moves available if the need arises.

Klay

Youngster
I may be/am in the minority over here, but most quests aren't that interesting, and attempts to make them interesting only makes them annoying and tedious. If I interpreted the suggestion it's more about reusing old maps so that people can hunt for other Pokemon for a while. I don't believe an (elaborate) quest line is necessary in the slightest, but you could always throw in a simple drop item currency to make items or moves available if the need arises.

I agree with Isguros on a point: it's not interesting to redo quests you already did (and pre-2015 events are those with not enough files to release them again I bet)
In the case the main objective of this suggestion is to get event spawns and shops released again (and maps are just an optional "plus"), it requires less work to make them swarms in already-existing areas with time-limited NPCs to act like event shops/tutors
and since I'm not a fan of swarms, I'll be outside enjoying the scenery

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
players who participated in the original event have quest variables that would need to be reset or redone, and may also have leftover quest items that could give them an unfair advantage, among other issues.

Easy fix to that. Just re-release Fossilween, and BAN anyone who already participated in it from being able to get back in.

Klay

Youngster
Easy fix to that. Just re-release Fossilween, and BAN anyone who already participated in it from being able to get back in.
prepares an alt account for Cranidos egg

Sykwiddit

It's really not hard, sure we can all come up with 1000 reasons why NOT. It's just as easy to find a reason as to WHY we should have an event. It just comes down to them wanting to keep events special, and sought after. And/Or they don't care, or maybe they like to see a certain # of concurrent users, wether that be a high number, or a really low number. It's all a mystery and I think that is a big part of it too.

As far as adding permanent content to the game, well....