Questions & Answers Feb 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merse

Youngster
That's your opinion. I prefer to keep my team together and train them to the max level. I don't want to start anew and assemble a brand new team, and I don't mind collecting a few million XP to level my Pokes. I don't think that it should be possible to reach max level overnight, and more level means more work. You don't have to grind all the levels in Digletts Cave, you're not obliged to reach max level as soon as possible...
For Hoenn, I think the idea is ridiculous, that you have to start all over again, once you get there. This means you trained your elite team to max level and now you have to leave them behind until you return to Kanto/Jotho, so you never have the chance to use them in a Hoenn gym battle. This means that you will get a Hoenn starter for free, which would destroy their value instantly. You know that Frafech'd worth nothing, right? The only difference will be that 1/3 of the players will get Mudkip, 1/3 Torchic and 1/3 Treecko for free. And finally, this would make Hoenn unplayable as an initial region. Because I presume, if you can't take your Kanto/Jotho Pokes to Hoenn, then you shouldn't be able to take Hoenn Pokes back. Not to mention how serious limitation this would mean to the market and to PvP as you can't have your best Pokes from all three region in the same team...

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
All I can say at this time, is various ideas for both how to fit future new regions into the game for existing players; and how to create a fair growth system covering them all; are all on the table; and we're unlikely to make any sort of final decision until we're closer to actually bringing in a new region and have a client which gives us the ability to adjust experience formulas without breaking things.

Tweaky

Jinji said:
All I can say at this time, is various ideas for both how to fit future new regions into the game for existing players; and how to create a fair growth system covering them all; are all on the table; and we're unlikely to make any sort of final decision until we're closer to actually bringing in a new region and have a client which gives us the ability to adjust experience formulas without breaking things.
Well Besides that, I cant wait till the teams hard work pays of and we get new regions (new Pokes) ^_^
Ill learn alot, I have no clue about 3rd+ gens pokes or maps Lol so thats a advantage for me.

soniman

I was wondering if by any chance we might be able to mail a donation along with our usernames to recieve tokens ???

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I think the anime provides a perfect template. Ash started out in new regions with one pokemon and also got starters. He may not have been given them by the professor but I don't see why we couldn't do that here, choose one pokemon from your team to join you in Hoenn but also be given a Hoenn starter as well. Also new players/accounts can choose Kanto/Johto/Hoenn. Later on, after a certain number of badges, you will again have access to all your pc boxes, or pokemon locked on your playerdex will again be available ingame.

If we take the Fire Red/Leaf green example and reverse it this would make sense. Hoenn is a remote region to Kanto and Johto, and in Fire Red/Leaf Green you had to defeat all the gyms and elite four before going on a quest to help the professor open up trade/communication between the regions. So you take a single pokemon with you and can't access the rest until you have completed a similar quest giving you access to the rest again. Then for Johto/Kanto passport players with a single higher level pokemon the Hoenn gyms could be stronger than for the Hoenn passport players but not so much since you are still starting with a level 5 starter and low level initial routes etc. All this, or whatever is finally decided for the new region, will no doubt take more programming than is currently possible on the current client/server but it would be well worth the wait.

I would say you're in the minority in not wanting to restart in Hoenn. It's definitely what I am looking forward to. If you can't start out in Hoenn with a Hoenn starter and catch Hoenn pokemon in their natural habitat, building your Hoenn Region Team as you go to take on the gyms what would be the point of it? I think what you are after is an Elite Region with progressively max level gyms to challenge your team as the level cap rises. A good idea for the future maybe, but not Hoenn.

Merse

Youngster
Interesting theory, but it has a very big flaw: What if I chose a level 99 Pokemon to take with me to Hoenn? It either will overpower the first 4-5 gyms alone, or I'll have to spend way more time leveling up 5 more Pokemon than I would spend if simply the level cap would be increased.
I just can't see why should Hoenn be anything more special than being a new playable region. Just because Ashy boy left all his Pokes behind we shouldn't do the same. He gets a complete new set of Pokemon in every region anyway.
Plus I can't see the Hoenn region to be as distant as you claim it to be. There are trainers visiting Kanto/Jotho from there and vice versa, Pokemons from all three regions are catchable in a mixture of areas etc. Unova would be a good example for a distant and remote region which cannot be accessed by simply taking a ferry boat. I could imagine the system you're proposing there. But I don't think it would fit to Hoenn, or Sinnoh.
Telling that I'm in minority is rather bold statement. So far only 4 people mentioned this questions here, two of them are staff members :p Of course it doesn't matter as there was no poll about it yet so nobody knows for sure, and the staff can decide even against the will of the majority if they think it benefits the game.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Hoenn is a very popular region and I do believe most of the people waiting for it will want to go through it from the beginning, though I can't speak for everyone of course.

I didn't want to make my post overly long or it would be tl;dr, I know how it works. :p My idea for those who wish to bring a level 99 pokemon with them would be to implement something like the handheld restriction for levels based on gym badges. So that with no badges in Hoenn your level 99 would ignore/struggle until fainted on an almost 100% chance. After your first badge the chance would be less.. up to 6 or 7 badges when it would obey you more often than not but not always still and 8 badges you can again control all pokemon. The badge restriction for what level pokemon you can control is something that should be introduced when possible in my opinion anyway- especially for traded pokemon. It would just require a bit of tweaking for established accounts moving to Hoenn in that the restriction would apply to traded pokemon and non-Hoenn caught pokemon.

TheKraken

IMO the best way to tackle level restrictions on new regions should simply be this

New region new Pokemon

All Pokemon from the other regions that you have previously obtained are "locked up" and you start fresh with a hoenn starter. after you get 8 badges the Kanto/Johto PCs with your previous Pokemon will be available to you.

Vieux

Yup, in my opinion that would be the best way to go as well. Once you defeat all 8 gyms your Pokemon from the other regions you have completed would be available to you again, as would interregional battles and trading. Before defeating all 8 gyms you would be restricted to battling and trading in the region you are currently in.

Still, it's not like PWO can support something like this atm, so we will just have to continue being patient.

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
If we're being forced to restart once hoenn comes out, I say we be allowed to carry over one or 2 pokemon.

Colemillionaire15

You guys are right.

After reading just a few of the arguments, the best way to go would definitely be starting with a new starter in a new region and unlocking your old pokemon when you completed the region. I wish this would've been the way it was traveling from Kanto to Johto, but I understand why it wasn't. Many players speed through the second region simply because it's so easy to do. Looking forward to the future regions, even if there's still so much to accomplish before that's even possible...

-New client
-New battle system (status changes, move priorities, healing moves, move types)
-New scripts

The list could go on forever, but maybe some day!

Garnet

TheKraken said:
IMO the best way to tackle level restrictions on new regions should simply be this

New region new Pokemon

All Pokemon from the other regions that you have previously obtained are "locked up" and you start fresh with a hoenn starter. after you get 8 badges the Kanto/Johto PCs with your previous Pokemon will be available to you.
If this can be done then it would be really interesting and challenging :)

accursed1

Youngster
Website
www.xelion.webs.com
2vutv
hahhahahaha puar!

darkdane

Bis_Eastwood said:
If we're being forced to restart once hoenn comes out, I say we be allowed to carry over one or 2 pokemon.
That's exactly what I thought and wanted too! It would be a great change for everyone to start over and you to choose at least one poke or two, who knows, maybe even a full team.

jazo91

why is server down? if someone can tell me ? and i am new player so can someone explain me where i can se IVs in pokemon world cose i cant find it :/

drvirus

jazo91 said:
why is server down? if someone can tell me ? and i am new player so can someone explain me where i can se IVs in pokemon world cose i cant find it :/

regarding the server you will need to get used to it, the servers are not stable and will be down quite often, we will need to wait for 1 of the devs to reset the server, as for the second question most common way to check IV's of pokemon is by google "Veekun IV calculator".

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I think the fact that was the first post in the topic since May - and it broke our rules about "not posting about the server status" - suggests it's about time this topic was locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.