Questions and Answers: May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Hello there.

A few weeks back we decided to ask for questions from players and non-players in order for us hopefully to provide an answer to your question while remaining anonymous. So let's begin with the questions.

Are current data characters gonna be saved?
Blue: I'm assuming you're referring to the Pokemon on your account and as you can see by now, the answer to this is yes.

Are negative experience issues at evolving Pokemon going to be solved ?
Blue: We're planning on looking over the system soon - I would say the likely chance is they will be resolved, when however is unknown.

Is going to be solved the bug of one turn when u switch Pokemon?
Crenel: The answer is yes, but our new system isn't ready yet.

I'm wondering, is this game a hobby for your spear time or did this turn into a full-time job?
Blue: Staff are mainly split between a job or education or both. I don't necessarily think of being an Administrator myself as a job due to not being paid, then again I wouldn't think of it as a hobby.
Crenel: It's a hobby in the same way that coaching a kid's sport team is a hobby. We're not getting paid, but it's definitely not something to do when you want to relax. I put about 60% of my free time trying to improving PWO where I can (or at least helping to spark discussion within the staff).

Is there going to be a version for smart phones?
Bis: This question can not be answered under current circumstances, as well as probably licensing issues.
Crenel: Not in the foreseeable future (if ever). We have other things to work on before thinking about other platforms.

Will players that beat 1 Island be allowed to travel to the other Island and play through that area?
Blue: Currently you can travel between Kanto and Johto, with other regions to arrive in the future!

If we will be or are able to travel will we keep our Pokemon and their lvls?
Blue: This is something to be discussed in the future once we're ready to expand outside of Kanto and Johto.

Would we ever see another land where we go after we are done with one island where all the trainers are higher level
Blue: Currently if you do start in Kanto, the levels in Johto would be higher. It's the same vice-versa.

Will there an area or land where NPC Trainers Level with you?
Crenel: There are no plans at this point in time, but it's something that we could bring up for discussion in the future.

Will we ever get pokemon XP for battling other people (not NPCs)?
Bis: Most likely no; as it will be open to abuse by other players, just like the rep system. And from what I remember, you do not get exp in the handhelds from PVP over WiFI either.
Crenel: Likely not, but it isn't completely off the table. Time will tell.

How long until our Pokemon can hold Items?
Blue: We have no time scale for this.
Crenel: We had a system for this mostly built, but it didn't work the way it was intended to and was scrapped. This is a feature we still plan on implementing in the future.

Will we ever see random items on the ground true to the original games?
Crenel: I personally would love this, but we currently don't have a system created to handle it in an intuitive or interesting way.

Will we ever have 1 change log that all the devs use instead of random updates and constantly browsing the dev logs?
Blue: Currently we plan to stick to the main forum given to Change logs.
Crenel: It isn't feasible at this point in time, but it's something we're open to.

Do you guys know how awesome this game is and how much you rock?
Crenel: I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I won't be happy until it's flawless.

Will there ever be a sprite changer?
Blue: Hopefully there will be more to follow on character customisation in the next few months.
Crenel: We've explored at least three systems for this over the past few years. In short: yes, but we need to find a system we're happy with first.

Will PWO leave beta at 2.0?
Crenel: No.

Will PWO introduce a new quest after this downtime is done?
Blue: As you can see, no. :(
Crenel: We're looking to improve the questing framework before jumping deeper into quests.

One thing i've been wondering is the whole negative exp thing that happens when your Pokemon evolve, is it intentional and if not will it ever get fixed because having -56k exp at lvl 20 is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. if you were to fix this would there be any type of exp reimbursement as well?
Crenel: It's a result of a badly implemented increase in experience requirements. When a Pokemon evolves, its experience pool doesn't increase to match its evolution, which is why you get negative numbers. It'll be fixed (in fact it's something we've been discussing/working on behind the scenes). We're exploring the entire experience system and how it can be improved as a whole, not just negative experience.

How can a person apply for a staff person job like i want to get on as GM? What are all the necessary qualifications for it?
Blue: For the first question, it depends on the groups. Generally for the group you referred to in your question, we don't get people to apply unlike the majority of content groups which are applicable.

Blue ~

Thomi

Re: Questions and Answers

There just popped up another question in my head, do you all know eachother in RL or do you just know eachother from other games/fora?

crenel

Youngster

Speaking only for myself: I don't know any of the staff members in person, and I met them all through PWO. I don't know any of them outside of here.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator

crenel said:
Speaking only for myself: I don't know any of the staff members in person, and I met them all through PWO. I don't know any of them outside of here.
Same for myself.

Thomi

Who is the founder of PWO?

Why does good questions always come to your mind when you don't need to pose them? :p

crenel

Youngster

Kyro and Zammbi co-started the project but have since left. The current server code was written predominantly by Xanatus while Shane created the client.

Maideza

I know the Exp. issue is kinda old, and not really the current staff to blame.. However, if I were to come with a sensible suggestion - would it be something you could look at implementing?

Love maths, and I would love to be helpful if I can.. :) Also regarding the encounters, as I think as it is now - it is a bit meh on some parts

GawertyXL

kind of a nub question here but i have always thought of this idea, you have all said that in hoenn there are certain areas the map editor doesnt work for but couldnt you like put a npc where the ladder is and talk to the npc and he teleport you to the top, like wise for top to bottom?

tonice4u

The horror of trying to read some of these questions! IT PAINS ME!

On topic, doing Q&A is an awesome idea. Try to make an archive of all the questions you answered and sticky it so future players can read them... And please fix grammar, spelling, punctuation on all the question if you do or at least make it understandable...

G

The responses were mostly:
-In the future
-fix our system
-new system
And very few definite answers from what I understand.
I commend ya'll for answering questions though!

Friko

WIll abilities ever be implemented, and if so, will they be made previous to the release of the hoenn region, also, regarding hoenn, due to the levels of jhoto gyms currently being that of 90+ (for those who started in kanto) and vice-versa, then will we see a *ladder* effect, regarding the first area you go to having the lowest levels, and then the next (corresponding regions), have higher, and higher levels, till finally you come to a 90+ final hoenn/jhoto/kanto Gym?

STILL not done, (hey, u asked for the questions), this is in regards to the fact that some jhoto pokemon and even a few hoenn pokemon are catcheable kanto at the time (spheal/ carvanha), so, will this also be shown within jhoto? for kanto and hoenn pokemon aswell?, same goes for hoenn

and lastly, the "water lab", as noted for a while seems to be part of a larger chain of (secret labs), due to the secret lab key (water), does this mean that soon others will come to pass? such as ice/fire/flying ect.?

-g122, formerly mamamia100

G

This QA thing is a good plan; many other forums of MMOs have them. The difference is here that most people can usually reach the staff directly! If these threads shall continue, perhaps making a sub-forum wouldn't be a bad idea.

tonice4u said:
The horror of trying to read some of these questions! IT PAINS ME!
On topic, doing Q&A is an awesome idea. Try to make an archive of all the questions you answered and sticky it so future players can read them... And please fix grammar, spelling, punctuation on all the question if you do or at least make it understandable...

Agreed. Makes us feel like you guys view the people who submitted those as the typical PWO community member with respect to sentence structure neatness (or lack).

G

Here's a question I'd like to ask...is there any way we can help the developers other than donations? I'd donate if I wasn't broke. :-\

I'd love to see this game flourish (I've actually wanted to see a pokemon MMO for a long time), and even though I'm new, I want to help out however I can.

G

I'm a new member, and I've been logged out for a couple hours now. I attempt to log back on and it says "User already in the system". My friend who started playing with me is also experiencing the same issue.
I've looked around to see why this is and only find answers saying wait 10 minutes and you should be kicked. I waited another 10 minutes and still having the issue even though I haven't logged on within the last 2 hours.
Is it possible my password has been stolen? it seems unlikely to me since I literally started playing yesterday, but I would really like to get into this.

-I apologize if this isnt the correct place to post this question, I had a hard time trying to figure that out.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster

darkworior11 said:
I'm a new member, and I've been logged out for a couple hours now. I attempt to log back on and it says "User already in the system". My friend who started playing with me is also experiencing the same issue.
I've looked around to see why this is and only find answers saying wait 10 minutes and you should be kicked. I waited another 10 minutes and still having the issue even though I haven't logged on within the last 2 hours.
Is it possible my password has been stolen? it seems unlikely to me since I literally started playing yesterday, but I would really like to get into this.

-I apologize if this isnt the correct place to post this question, I had a hard time trying to figure that out.

Sadly there is no answer to this right now. It seems to be similar to an old bug that happened around 2 years ago, which caused the same problem. Staff manually kicking players off of the server and attempts to log in won't work.

You probably need to wait for a server restart to happen. =P

Stank

Youngster

that is the case here zeb, nothing we can do will cause you to be able to log in until a dev or admin restarts the server. If you are in game don't hunt as most of the time the server didnt save when we had this issue in the past.

PkmnTrainerReginald

Website
www.shop.platinum-age-designs.com

I just want to take the time to thank and commend all the staff of PWO for doing such a marvelous job with PWO as a whole. Honestly the reason I keep coming back and playing is because I know the game will eventually expand to all the regions with all the pokemon in it and hopefully a cool storyline that follows. I hope I live to see the day where I can start in one region and eventually reach all 5 and see every pokemon and what not in one game. That will be epic.

You guys rock and thanks for putting up with all of the crazy things that happened since you guys started, like ya know hackers and stuff like that. And still deciding to come back. Especially knowing you dont get paid. But you still come back to finish the game for us. It means a lot and that is why we support you guys.

I think I speak on behalf of every trainer in this game, except PkmnMasterRed who doesnt actually speak but uses a series of dots... morse code? (Shrugs) when I say you guys are so awesome. Seriously when I start making money from my t shirt website I will happily donate epic amounts just to pay for the servers or whatever else you guys use the money for when it comes to the game or whatever... (whispers granted I get at least a lot of my tokens in return if not all of them @_@)... dont judge me. I like tokens. ^_^

PkmnMasterRed

(Looks at Reginald)
Smh....

Anyway you guys are awesome in my book. Keep up the good work.

Stank

Youngster

Thomi said:
There just popped up another question in my head, do you all know each other in RL or do you just know each other from other games/fora?
Nope Never met any of the other PWO staff although I do live less than 2 hours away from Mantis and eventually plan on a road trip down there one day when I have more money.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator

To note, with regards to the Q&A - we'll probably do another one again next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.