PWO is a virus?

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I was just wondering why, what specifically, makes my anti-virus think your client is infested
with various viruses?

Of course I realize that asking that questing is absurd without giving the information about
which anti-virus software I am using, but I have tried on several different computers and
they all tell me the same thing.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Is this when you go to download it? I don't know the technical reason for it but of course if you get it from the links provided on our site then you are definitely safe- just disable your AV while you download and maybe install and you'll be good after that. It's not just PWO that suffers this, I've downloaded other programs that have like billions of downloads that are flagged as viruses. So maybe someone else can give you a technical reason for it happening, all I can say is that it's definitely a false positive.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Thanks for the response.

It usually happens when I try to RUN the INSTALLER. Years ago I was more paranoid and
downloaded the client from several places one after the other until I didn't get that anti-virus
message. I have some hunches about what is going on, but lack technical ability to describe
my guesses at the real cause.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
PWO's Installer is compiled and packaged using a publicly and freely available installation scripting system. Sadly, for some reason, the compression applied to the files included in installers made under this system, is wrongly picked up as a virus under certain anti-malware products; as the tools apparently consider the compression to have patterns similar to those that have been used in the past to hide the code of malware. Similar assumptions have also been known to affect software packaged with the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS). While unfortunate, this is sadly not something we can really help - the fault is with the anti-malware vendors, for using rules that are likely to generate false positives in this way; and PWO is certainly not the only software to be affected.

Worry not, though. You can trust that if your copy of PWO's installer comes from a site linked to by our official site or by us Staff, it is checked by us and confirmed clean and safe :)

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Jinji said:
Worry not, though. You can trust that if your copy of PWO's installer comes from a site linked to by our official site or by us Staff, it is checked by us and confirmed clean and safe :)

To trust a Gengar is a risk just a fair warning. :p LOL

ichoosemew2

um actually AV's actually can bring in viruses also. Thats how ppl that make these AV make money. U install the Av it will then tell u eventually u have viruse and to upgrade to a newer version. This is partly cos the ppl making the Av's put viruses into their own products so u have to spend more money to upgrade. Sorry if this make u more paranoid or u dont believe me. BUT please believe me when me say that the PWO staff are very dedicated to this game and make the best effort to make sure its a fun, free and virus safe environment for all. Also not sure u realize but the staff usually give up a really lot of their time to make this game as good as it can be and dont really profit at all. All the money ppl spend on the game goes to making the server run better and stuff to make the game improved NOT in their pockets. Thats what me believe since first playing bout 4 yrs ago. Its a great game with great ppl (players and staff)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
um actually AV's actually can bring in viruses also. Thats how ppl that make these AV make money. U install the Av it will then tell u eventually u have viruse and to upgrade to a newer version. This is partly cos the ppl making the Av's put viruses into their own products so u have to spend more money to upgrade. Sorry if this make u more paranoid or u dont believe me.
Such a business strategy would fall foul of numerous international laws in relation to computer security, privacy and extortion; and would result in numerous lawsuits and sanctions that would effectively destroy the company.

However, there are many viruses that install fake anti-malware products, often disabling any real ones you may have and forcing them to run whenever you try to manage your computer's security instead, which then do exactly as you described. They do not actually scan the PC at all, but instead fake a scan that then tells you you're infected, and demands money to deal with the issue - often installing other malware in the process. These "scanners" are usually not consciously installed by the user, and are not legitimate products. If you find your PC suddenly running an unfamiliar product which claims you have viruses - ignore anything it tells you, and look it up online (perhaps on a different device) - there are usually guides explaining what they really are, and how to remove them.