PWO Fullscreen/Resizing Workaround

thunderclap

Youngster
Just discovered this workaround. It won't be for everyone since it's a bit of work to set up initially..

There is a free program called Oracle VM Virtualbox. It makes virtual machines .. so you can install Windows or any operating system in them. After you get it set up, you can install PWO, and there's an option to set the "Scale Factor", which stretches the window to whatever size you want. You can also set it to Fullscreen mode (note: the Host key is Right-Ctrl by default). I'm using 175% which isn't an even number, so it looks more pixelly than it needs to (200% looks perfect). Using scaled mode instead of fullscreen is nice because you can switch to other windows easily, just like you would expect.
fullscreen.jpg

The hard part is you have to install Windows in the virtual machine. Find a Windows .iso (can be downloaded from Microsoft) to load in Virtualbox. A clean install of Windows usually has a ton of updates that need done, which takes longer than the actual Windows install. Faster if you have an SSD. However, PWO runs very well in it, and once it's set up it's maintenance-free.

There are other benefits to having a virtual machine installed on your computer. Any software you get from shady sources can be tested in them, and can't infect the rest of your computer. You can also install other operating systems like Linux, Mac OSX, or old versions of Windows, if there's specialized software you want to use.

This screenshot is taken in 1920x1200.. the rest of Windows is still at normal resolution, but PWO fills the whole window. Far better than changing the desktop resolution to 800x600.

I can help anyone on Discord if needed .. if you are reasonably computer literate already ;).

Edit: here's what 200% looks like: (chat box cut off for me cuz 1920x1200 isn't quite big enough to display everything. You can still type by pressing enter)
2020-05-01 17_57_22-Greenshot.png

If you hide your menu bar like I have done, you can press RightCtrl+Home to access it.

Last edited:

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
EDIT: Microsoft now allow everyone to download and try Windows 10 for free - see the link thunderclap posted below for the full details and limitations - and it is perfectly possible and legal to use the .iso versions to create virtual machines through VirtualBox as suggested here. For older versions of Windows, always ensure you have a valid product key.

Whatever the case may be, please make sure you only download Windows .isos or other installation media from the official Microsoft website. Getting them from other sources may well be illegal; and may also compromise your computer, as they may be hacked, contain built-in viruses or spyware.

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
You don't need a product key to install and use Windows 10. You can use the trial indefinitely, and the only limitation is you can't make cosmetic personalizations. There's also a watermark in the lower right of the screen. It's 100% legal to download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft without paying anything.

thunderclap

Youngster
Just an update: I've been using this for 3 weeks and it's great! No more squinting to read stuff.