Pwo Economy

Merse

Youngster
CheckeredZebra said:
Well, wouldn't the market then be flooded with bad UCs? x.x
Or they could just sell the hr for more money, and then use the money to buy tokens faster. :V
Novel idea, though. Wonder if it could be tweaked to work more effeciently.
If you have to exchange lots of Pokemons for one token, then they won't earn enough tokens to buy UCs very often. And even if they would, they will buy soothe bells, metal coats, membership. And UCs too, but you could revert them too to tokens. So if there are too many of them, players can a) re-exchange them to one token to minimize their loss, or b) if their value ingame drops under one token, they can buy them and then exchange them for tokens.

I can't see though how would this idea influence the economy, if tokens become exchangeable. Or when Hoenn will be introduced (but I presume that in that case, Sinnoh Pokes would become available in the Token Store, so maybe there wouldn't be any issue here).

crenel

Youngster
Merse said:
CheckeredZebra said:
Well, wouldn't the market then be flooded with bad UCs? x.x
Or they could just sell the hr for more money, and then use the money to buy tokens faster. :V
Novel idea, though. Wonder if it could be tweaked to work more effeciently.
If you have to exchange lots of Pokemons for one token, then they won't earn enough tokens to buy UCs very often. And even if they would, they will buy soothe bells, metal coats, membership. And UCs too, but you could revert them too to tokens. So if there are too many of them, players can a) re-exchange them to one token to minimize their loss, or b) if their value ingame drops under one token, they can buy them and then exchange them for tokens.

I can't see though how would this idea influence the economy, if tokens become exchangeable. Or when Hoenn will be introduced (but I presume that in that case, Sinnoh Pokes would become available in the Token Store, so maybe there wouldn't be any issue here).
I've been loosely discussing the Token Store vs Game Economy scenario with Bluerise for months. We've had a few ideas floating around, but exchanging Pokemon wasn't one of them. It just isn't practical or efficient, and it's not exactly something that's easy to interpret. I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't very intuitive, as Pokemon aren't a currency. They're a barter good.

MaddHappy

A few weeks ago there was also a thread about the Economy of the game and someone brought up a good idea with TM's being implemented in the game. The way I can see this working is having all the pokemon in the game have 2-4 extra move-sets that can be purchase from the Playerdex. But since this moves are being implemented and are not required to be learned by that particular pokemon then an extra fee will be implemented. I see it being X mil for one move.

Of course this will change the dynamic of trading because now not only will players be looking at the IV's of the pokemon but also at the moves it knows. I can see that the newer players will not be able to afford this implementation, but if this can be put in place for say a year. Most of the players who battle in PVP will be willing to spend X amount of money to improve their chances of wining a battle. Nothing will do this better than to have new moves on a pokemon that the opposite player will have to be careful and prepared for anything.

To help out the new players there could be a quest which will reward a player with a ticket that can be exchange inorder to learn a particular move.

Merse

Youngster
crenel said:
I've been loosely discussing the Token Store vs Game Economy scenario with Bluerise for months. We've had a few ideas floating around, but exchanging Pokemon wasn't one of them. It just isn't practical or efficient, and it's not exactly something that's easy to interpret. I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't very intuitive, as Pokemon aren't a currency. They're a barter good.
I agree with you that using Pokemon as currency is a bit drastic. But the current economic crisis has two parts: We have too much money, and we have too much good Pokemon. It is relatively easy to fix the first part, but the second is way harder. I'm just brainstorming how could we fix that issue, because we MUST find a way to reduce the supply of good Pokes, or shiny HRs price will be around 1k within a year (yes, I'm exaggerating, but I want to make my point clear :p) .

Failostirion

There should be a way of improving stats of a Pokemon and since there are too much Pokemon and Money how about:

1. Letting my GyaradosA kill another Gyarados so GyaradosA gets better Stats. Or Fusion or something ?
2. Rare Candy (1lvl up for money (500k-1m ?))
3. Improving Poke Stats with items. - taking ALOT of money out of the game.

That way instead of searching 50 Pokes and keeping the one with the best Stats we could search 50 Pokes and make one awesome Poke out of it ;D

Professor.Oak

Failostirion said:
There should be a way of improving stats of a Pokemon and since there are too much Pokemon and Money how about:

1. Letting my GyaradosA kill another Gyarados so GyaradosA gets better Stats. Or Fusion or something ?
2. Rare Candy (1lvl up for money (500k-1m ?))
3. Improving Poke Stats with items. - taking ALOT of money out of the game.

That way instead of searching 50 Pokes and keeping the one with the best Stats we could search 50 Pokes and make one awesome Poke out of it ;D

The basic idea of what you're talking about is called EV training, all of which -as far as I know- isnt really being worked on, nor has it been publicly discussed that it is.

Merse

Youngster
EVs are ok, because they limit the maximum possible abilities of a Pokemon. But endless vitamins and stuff would be a very bad idea.

Jhaxius

I think the way to start rebuilding the pwo econony is when the playerdex goes live. I think that it will help to stabilize the eco because the mart feature will be implemented again. It might not go back to the way that us veteran players remember it but,it will bring normalcy back to pwo. As to when the playerdex will go live,last I heard was December but who knows.

FroggeReborn

and as soon as the new Mart is added in Playerdex in December, the eco will go back up

Merse

Youngster
That's just a sweet dream. Although the Market will boost the speed and quantity of transactions, it won't solve any of the issues which causes the current economical crisis. Maybe the situation will be slightly better for a short period, but then the prices will start to fall again.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
The way I see it the new playerdex mart is supposed to make trading pokemon easier. Easier trading = more pokemon for sale. More pokemon, cheaper prices. Not sure why you think the prices will go up again.

Merse

Youngster
Currently not everyone watches the trade channel or the trade forum. With the mart the demand MAY increase a little bit, which could temporary and slightly increase the prices as well. But, as I said even if it does so, it won't solve the economic crisis at all.

Merse

Youngster
After a few days of playing you get enough money to buy an average shiny common or a VR. By the time you get your 16th badge you can buy anything except of the best HRs, extremely good VRs and S VR/HRs.
Pokemons have absolutely no value whatsoever, or they have ridiculously high price.

Jhaxius

i think the mart will mostly stabilize the eco. I dont see the current state that the eco in as good or bad. I actually love the fact that rares or so cheap now. PWO eco needs to be balanced rather than this stock market type environment with prices rising and falling.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Merse said:
After a few days of playing you get enough money to buy an average shiny common or a VR. By the time you get your 16th badge you can buy anything except of the best HRs, extremely good VRs and S VR/HRs.
Pokemons have absolutely no value whatsoever, or they have ridiculously high price.

So the only real problem is the ridiculously high priced pokemon. I have a solution for that. When the mart comes out and we have a plethora of all types of pokemon flood the market and be 'freely' available, the prices will all drop to next to nothing- apart from those ridiculously high ones. Then, the pokemon being all easy to aquire, staff can then increase the chances of all rare pokemon to the chances in the handhelds and soon enough even shiny hr's will be cheap. Problem solved. O0

darkblade210

HitmonFonty said:
Merse said:

So the only real problem is the ridiculously high priced pokemon. I have a solution for that. When the mart comes out and we have a plethora of all types of pokemon flood the market and be 'freely' available, the prices will all drop to next to nothing- apart from those ridiculously high ones. Then, the pokemon being all easy to aquire, staff can then increase the chances of all rare pokemon to the chances in the handhelds and soon enough even shiny hr's will be cheap. Problem solved. O0

lol i think its more of those veteran players are sad that there pokemon which were once worth so much arnt worth anything anymore. I dont see this as a crisis just as a normal progression.

Merse

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:

Yes, Fonty, you perfectly found out what I did NOT say. I said that Even a beginner, after a few hours of playing can buy a complete team of lv99 Pokes, including even some shinys! Where is the challenge in PWO then? All I have to do is to beat a few NPCs, grind a little money then I can buy any good Poke I want. With the exceptions of a few UCs and shiny VRs/HRs, which have so high price that you'll never have enough money to even bid on them, except if you're outrageously lucky and find a S VR or HR yourself (or if you have too much RL money to spend). otherwise only the oldest veterans can exchange them.
So there are two groups of Pokemons currently in PWO. 1) those which you can get without any real effort, and 2) those which you'll never be able to get among normal/average circumstances.
In Case 1) there is no challenge in PWO whatsoever, because you don't have to look for the Pokes, or even raise them.
In Case 2) you have no chance to ever get those Pokes, because rich players earn money too, so they will be able to pay more and more for those extremely rare and good Pokes, you'll never be able to catch up with them.

PWO was better than the other Pokemon games because it gave you a real challenge. You had to work hard to have your dream team, to find and train the Pokemon you really want. Unlike in other games when you can make a full shiny team in 6 hours, or can catch Lugia on the first map...

darkblade210

Merse said:
HitmonFonty said:

Yes, Fonty, you perfectly found out what I did NOT say. I said that Even a beginner, after a few hours of playing can buy a complete team of lv99 Pokes, including even some shinys! Where is the challenge in PWO then? All I have to do is to beat a few NPCs, grind a little money then I can buy any good Poke I want. With the exceptions of a few UCs and shiny VRs/HRs, which have so high price that you'll never have enough money to even bid on them, except if you're outrageously lucky and find a S VR or HR yourself (or if you have too much RL money to spend). otherwise only the oldest veterans can exchange them.
So there are two groups of Pokemons currently in PWO. 1) those which you can get without any real effort, and 2) those which you'll never be able to get among normal/average circumstances.
In Case 1) there is no challenge in PWO whatsoever, because you don't have to look for the Pokes, or even raise them.
In Case 2) you have no chance to ever get those Pokes, because rich players earn money too, so they will be able to pay more and more for those extremely rare and good Pokes, you'll never be able to catch up with them.

PWO was better than the other Pokemon games because it gave you a real challenge. You had to work hard to have your dream team, to find and train the Pokemon you really want. Unlike in other games when you can make a full shiny team in 6 hours, or can catch Lugia on the first map...

they can buy a team of 99 pokemon but what are they gonna do with those? Battle?

it still takes awhile to get a good team atleast good enough to battle with. Call me when every new player has a (S) eggs then maybe itll be a problem lol

Merse

Youngster
We're about to get there. Everyone has a S Ninetales/Arcanine already.