Proper HID Gamepad support: How to

Arnie

This isn't another cry for help, this will serve as a comprehensive guide on how to play PWO with any Human Interface Device (see; HID).
That can range from anything like a generic USB controller to Xbox 360 Gamepads and even if you wanted to a Rock Band Drum set.

First of all you will need a program called Xpadder (link will be provided at the end of this post). Its basically an input wrapper making you able to assign KB/Mouse input onto Gamepad and other devices. Im not 100% sure if this program breaks the ToS however as it only serves as a translator between KB and Gamepad and doesn't touch any other program in any way it should be fine. (Member of staff send me a PM if i'm wrong)

After you download the Zip file you will want to extract it somewhere (i extracted it then moved the base folder into the program files directory). then click on Xpadder.exe and you will be taken through a few basic setup instructions and then you will get to a screen that will look like this:

The little white box in the top left hand corner will be red if there is no HID device detected. To start just follow the command in the yellow strip next to that box and it will run you through the basic button detection setup, you can change the base background for the type of controller (much like I have; See first image) there are some base images included in the package.

once you go through all the submenus, moving the button boxes to where you want them and click OK to save what you have done you should have something like this:

if you have done this right make sure you click the little controller icon below the mini image of the gamepad and select Save As to save the button layouts. Now you want to create a Profile. This is the easy part. simply click on any of the white blocks that correspond to a button on the controller and select a value from the keyboard or mouse:

from there its just a case of assigning all the buttons you need :) Once completed make sure you save the controller profile aswell. if you have done everything correctly it should look something similar to this:

The beauty of Xpadder is that it will detect the controller that you have plugged in, and assign the last profile used with it...so if you only use that particular Gamepad or device with PWO, it will work every time and you wont need to do anything else apart from plugging it in. Also if you click on the wrench button (next to the help one) you can set more advanced options such as being able to start when windows does and starting minimized so that its out of mind.

As of client version 1.90 or maybe even earlier (sorry i cant remember when gamepad support was improved specifically) analog input now works properly

http://www.4shared.com/rar/nxU0gDYpce/Xpadder.html?

Isguros

Youngster
Thanks a lot,
I've tried numerous other programs, but that always ended the same way: every button made me use my bike.
Don't know yet if this one will do the trick, but I can't wait to give it a try.
Thanks again.

It woks(-ish)! I can move the mouse with the one of the analog sticks (not as fast as I would like). walking with the other analog stick however.. doesn't work that well;
quite some times the character would just turn it's head instead of walking in that direction. Though it's a big improvement, the D-pad has the same limitations as the analog stick, the L and R buttons however are the answer to most of those problems (it might be a bit confusing if you plan on going up and down as well). there is still this shortcut to the bike on the A button and and a walk to mouse switch when you press X, but aside from that this is a decent solution to playing PWO while laying in bed.

Arnie

updated d/l link since controller support has been improved somewhat (can now use analog sticks properly at least)

Symbiosis

Website
www.facebook.com
Idk whats going on but I set it up exactly like you did and everything seems to work mainly except when i go into battle. Ill hit the button for mouse click one which is my xbox 360's A button and sometimes it will go through or sometimes it will go through to the pokemon's moves and then back to the main screen selection for fight and items. Also some times when i press the A button say i have the first move selected it will move down a move in the list instead of using the move i picked. It's like the A button is connected to another button like exit or down but i know its not...any help?

Arnie

yeah symbiosis it seems A has been assigned to a button in shanes controller settings, i had to assign my mouse clicks to RT to get around this issue

theskatsourani

Hello.Any ideas for windows 8?
When i tried to install it it said thats its not working with windows 8
Could anyone post a link of the same programm for windows 8(if there is one ofc)

Symbiosis

Website
www.facebook.com
I am using windows 8.1 and i had the same problem what you got to do is change the compatibility of the program to windows 7.

theskatsourani

Symbiosis said:
I am using windows 8.1 and i had the same problem what you got to do is change the compatibility of the program to windows 7.

good idea
thnks mate

theskatsourani

I need some help here.I have configured everything and every button-key-mouse works fine but NOT IN PWO
When i alt+tab and run PWO my usb controller freezes and cant run
It runs perfectly when im browsing files and stuff
Any ideas?

Arnie

Added topic to wiki so it doesn't get lost in the forums :)