Project Discover Red's Team

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I was thinking about trying to find ways to snoop all the pokemon on Red's E4 team. I came up with a few ideas.

Idea 1: I can bring lots of healing. And I Mean LOTS. Max out the Max Potions and Moo Moo Milks, and maybe even get the Presents from the recent event. This way I can stall out his team and locate all his moves.

Problem: Some of his pokes are Choice Locked so I can only see One Move if I battle him.

Idea 2: I can bring in a Pokemon like Dusclops, that has Frisk, to check the enemy Item. And, give Dusclops Trick as a move to move Leftovers onto the enemy. This would allow the enemy to heal and stay healthy enough to use all 4 of its moves, and get rid of any Choice Lock Item it may have further allowing it to use all it's moves.

I can even try to Choice Lock it into something stupid and bring in an Impostor Ditto to further get a read on how the team is set up.

I already have some of the moves written down. I'd like to at least list all of the move sets, but would like to really scope out the team and learn all their abilities and held items as well.

It will require a substantial investment to achieve snooping his team. Anyone else have some good ideas?

I was considering Torment and Disable to help restrict their choices of what moves they can use. Among other crazy ideas.

AsianKid

Youngster
Potions and other items of the sort cannot be used in battle. So stalling would be the first issue. My best initial idea would be to run multiple sets of Dusclops, Dusknoir, and Ditto - my initial thoughts are 2:2:2.

Each Dusclops and Dusknoir will run a Hp/Def and Hp/SpDef set with the following moves:

Calm Mind / Protect / Pain Split / Brick Break or Shadow Ball or some other preferable attack for the respective Pokemon you plan to face. You can honestly switch out Calm Mind and Protect in some instances for one of the multiples.

Frisk will do most of the work of figuring out the Choice items, the Leftovers or Life Orb will be obvious to catch.

So let me run through the battle assuming you go in blind and with no prior knowledge:

1) Ludicolo - Calm Mind it up with Dusclops (Hp/SpDef), Protect after every Calm Mind to scout for any new moves until all four are revealed, Pain Split when you need to. I like to believe Ludicolo has Life Orb or Leftovers upon Frisking. Shadow Ball when you're done.

2) Lucario - Switch in Ditto to scout for moves, then switch into Dusknoir (Hp/Def) who will Frisk the item and Brick Break Lucario.

3) Tyranitar - Switch in Ditto to scout for moves, then switch in Dusknoir (Hp/Def) to Frisk and go for a Brick Break. You can also aim to use the transformed Ditto to EQ and scout for Leftovers. Either way, it's fine.

4) Charizard - Switch in Ditto to scout moves, then Switch into Dusclops or Dusknoir (Hp/SpDef) to Frisk, and then faint with Shadow Ball - may require a few Calm Minds and Pain Splits, throw in Protects if you're Dusknoir.

5) Lanturn - Switch to Ditto to scout moves, then switch to Dusclops/Dusknoir for the Frisk, and then faint somehow with boosts, Pain Splits, or brute force Shadow Ball/Brick Break.

6) Metagross - Switch in Ditto to scout moves, then switch to Dusclops/Dusknoir (Hp/Def) for the Frisk, then faint.

The greatest risk of this strategy or any other strategy will be the Freeze/Crit RNG that may ruin your one attempt. That being said, that is why we run multiple variants and copies of Dusclop, Dusknoir, and Ditto.

As such, playing on the safe side of Protect for Leftovers/scouting purposes, and switching out the Ditto after it scouts the moves is crucial. A lot can go wrong, but you have loads of backup. This is most likely not optimal at all and requires some battle competency but I'm sure you can do it without much of a hassle.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Potions and other items of the sort cannot be used in battle.

I remember using Items in E4 battles. So unless that got nerfed....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reasonable move sets there. I'd still like a trick to remove troublesome items.