Pokemon Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovee

Youngster
There was times before when a slaking could kill a meta if it got lucky and FP hit every time. Now there is no way you can kill one. Slaking is stronger against what because of hammer arm? It takes a bit less damage from snorlax and tauros now okay it still beats them but it loses speed in the process. Also HA doesnt make a difference of when its facing the pokemon that can already kill it like charizard jolteon and starmie.

Contagion

Dovee said:
There was times before when a slaking could kill a meta if it got lucky and FP hit every time. Now there is no way you can kill one. Slaking is stronger against what because of hammer arm? It takes a bit less damage from snorlax and tauros now okay it still beats them but it loses speed in the process. Also HA doesnt make a difference of when its facing the pokemon that can already kill it like charizard jolteon and starmie.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dovee, you're a much more knowledgeable player than I am... and truth be told I haven't done *much* testing with Slaking since the updates... but as I go over scenarios and numbers in my head I agree with Petter, it seems Slaking was made more powerful with this update.

The slowing down helps and I see the logic behind it. I think what it's done is make Slaking less able to plow through 3 pokes... but let's be honest, at high levels we aren't seeing that kind of dominance from Slaking anymore because top battlers are bringing some of the counters you mentioned.

It has however minimized the damage other normal type regular battlers can do before exiting. If my Snorlax ran into a Slaking, I could do enough damage for my Kazam, Gengar, Tauros, Starmie, Char, Sala etc to one hit Slaking next turn. Threat neutralized.

Furthermore, counters like Rhydon and Steelix now get worked by Slak.

Anyway, I'll keep testing, but I think reducing HA power by another 10 bp would help...

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
Contagion said:
Dovee said:

Correct me if I'm wrong Dovee, you're a much more knowledgeable player than I am... and truth be told I haven't done *much* testing with Slaking since the updates... but as I go over scenarios and numbers in my head I agree with Petter, it seems Slaking was made more powerful with this update.

The slowing down helps and I see the logic behind it. I think what it's done is make Slaking less able to plow through 3 pokes... but let's be honest, at high levels we aren't seeing that kind of dominance from Slaking anymore because top battlers are bringing some of the counters you mentioned.

It has however minimized the damage other normal type regular battlers can do before exiting. If my Snorlax ran into a Slaking, I could do enough damage for my Kazam, Gengar, Tauros, Starmie, Char, Sala etc to one hit Slaking next turn. Threat neutralized.

Anyway, I'll keep testing, but I think reducing HA power by another 10 bp would help...

The main problem are the stats on slaking... Dunno who said it, but Slak should atk 1 time for each 2 turns. If you don't have an Slak in your team your opponent will get an incredible advantage on you. Im not using slak in my team and Is still very hard for me (considering that I own over 25 pokemons, all with good / uber stats) What about those who don't have pokemons with good/uber stats and/or over 25 battlers?

Hammer arm is less powerfull than FP, okey... But the spd doesn't matters at all, Rock/Steel types don't have good spd to face it anyway lol... I'll give you my analisys, using my experience (Old and new experience, using and not using Slak)

Pokemons that were able to kill Slak before the update:

If an Slak has less Spd:
Chari
Shiny Primeape
Raichu
Electabuzz
Manectric

If the move dont miss:

Jolteon
Starmie

If FP miss:
Metagross
Shiny Rhydon
Shiny Steelix
Snorlax (Probably)
Tyranitar (Probably)
Aerodactyl

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor

A total of 14 pokes (Short list)

With the update:

If an Slak has less Spd ( The update will not affect this list ):
Chari (You will not use Hammer arm agains Chari)
Shiny Primeape ( You will not use Hammer arm against S prime)
Raichu (You will not use Hammer arm agains Raichu)
Electabuzz (You will not use Hammer arm agains Electa)
Manectric (You will not use Hammer arm agains Manec)

If the move dont miss (What I said before):
Jolteon
Starmie

If FP miss:
Metagross ( Can kill Slak, unless Meta has bad stats, I may be wrong )
Shiny Rhydon (cant kill Slak)
Shiny Steelix (cant kill Slak)
Snorlax  (cant kill Slak)
Tyranitar (cant kill Slak)
Aerodactyl (cant kill Slak)

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor

A total of 9... lol

Im saying what I saw and I am constantly doing battles.

Contagion

matileo19 said:
Contagion said:
Dovee said:

The main problem are the stats on slaking... Dunno who said it, but Slak should atk 1 time for each 2 turns. If you don't have an Slak in your team your opponent will get an incredible advantage on you. Im not using slak in my team and Is still very hard for me (considering that I own over 25 pokemons, all with good / uber stats) What about those who don't have pokemons with good/uber stats and/or over 25 battlers?

Hammer arm is less powerfull than FP, okey... But the spd doesn't matters at all, Rock/Steel types don't have good spd to face it anyway lol... I'll give you my analisys, using my experience (Old and new experience, using and not using Slak)

If an Slak has less Spd:
Chari
Shiny Primeape
Raichu
Electabuzz
Manectric

If the move dont miss:

Jolteon
Starmie

If FP miss:
Metagross
Shiny Rhydon
Shiny Steelix
Snorlax (Probably)
Tyranitar (Probably)
Aerodactyl

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor

With the update:

Jolteon
Starmie

If FP miss:

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor

A total of 9... lol

Great analysis from more testing.

I agree completely.

Let me say first, how much I love that the staff have been listening to concerns about the balance of the game and their willingness to find a solution -- so please don't misconstrue this as being unappreciative.

That said, I don't think this brought the balance that was trying to be found, and think, as it's being tested, oppositely, that Slaking is more powerful.

I am not saying nerf the poke, my suggestion would be to have the experienced battlers discuss one of three options:

1. Remove Hammer Arm from Slakings moveset. (let's be honest, even with just Slash and Faint Attack it'll still be used regularly)
2. Reduce Slaking's HP by 30
3. Reduce Slakings speed by 15

crenel

Youngster
One of the more drastic solutions I have on paper is to cut its base HP and base Attack stats entirely in half. I want to avoid that one if we can. The next one I want to try is lowering its attack from 190 to 140 - would that be reasonable?

DaSnowman

Is slaking base stat for atk not 160 if not I believe making it that which correct me if I'm wrong is what he was in handhelds would allow him to become more beatable but allow him to retain his worth as a 15 token poke

crenel

Youngster
No you're correct, I had read my notes wrong. I have written down as one of the more drastic "fixes" setting Slaking's Attack to 90. Ignore my previous post then, would lowering it from 160 to 140 be reasonable?

DaSnowman

Oh ok :) just checkin I believe 140 would be more than reasonable since it would still give him around 600 base stats and the reasonhis stats are so high was because of the traunt ability but I believe that would go a long way in leveling out hos power if u ask me btw I enjoy all the work you are putting in to make pwo even better :)

Contagion

crenel said:
One of the more drastic solutions I have on paper is to cut its base HP and base Attack stats entirely in half. I want to avoid that one if we can. The next one I want to try is lowering its attack from 190 to 140 - would that be reasonable?

Again, this is just my personal opinion, but the way I see it the reason Slaking is overpowered is because of a combination of things:
1. It's massive HP (98th percentile) allows it to absorb massive amounts of damage.
2. It out speeds most of the useable battling pokes (at 100 speed it is in the 95th percentile in PWO)
3. It only has one type weakness, and that is fighting... which is a physical attribute, so it runs into Slakings 100 base point defense (85th percentile overall, likely higher in pwo). So in short, Slaking is hard to take down.

In my opinion the 160 attack is offset by it's moveset. Slash and Faint attack are 70 and 60 power respectively. There are pokes that hit as hard or harder (Tauros, Snorlax) with normal attacks... but if you look at those pokes, they have other weaknesses. Snorlax is the slowest battler out there and tauros has low HP and sp def so he can fall victim to a good poke that attacks with special attack.

Slaking is OP because he has massive attack, AND is a tank AND is one of the fastest pokes out there.

So my solution would be to pull down his overall HP or pull down his overall speed. To me, even Hammer Arm could stay if his base speed was 85. At 85 several pokes already outspeed him AND if he opts to use Hammer Arm then he effectively becomes a Snorlax after a couple hits.

SViper

Website
www.facebook.com
Slaking    HP   Attack Defense Sp. Attack Sp. Defense Speed
Stats      150   160 100               95               65           100
That is Slaking stats from 5th generation. And he always has to spend (skip) every second turn, Slakoth to
Fix  Hammer Arm  Power is 100, Accuracy 90, It lowers the user's Speed, however.
Fix  Focus Punch  Power is 150, Accuracy 100, It will fail if the user is hit before it is used.

crenel

Youngster
The list of adjustments (which is what they are, not fixes, so I'll be using that word from now on) I wanted to try are as follows:
1. Reduce Attack to 140
2. Correct Hammer Arm to 100 Base Damage, reduce HP from 150 to 110
3. Reduce Chip away from 70 to 55 Base Damage
4. Reduce HP to 85 and Attack to 90
5. Increase Attack and HP to 120 and 110 respectively, lower Defense to 50, lower Special Defense to 35
6. Reduce Speed to 90

I agree that a lot of the problem is in its HP and Speed, but I like that Slaking feels bulky/tanky. I'd want to try reducing its offensive abilities while retaining it as a bulky Pokemon before changing it otherwise. I could try something else if this doesn't seem like a reasonable list.

@narutofoxLT: Yes I know that, I posted why I made the adjustments to both attacks already.

Contagion

crenel said:
The list of adjustments (which is what they are, not fixes, so I'll be using that word from now on) I wanted to try are as follows:
1. Reduce Attack to 140
5. Increase Attack and HP to 120 and 110 respectively, lower Defense to 50, lower Special Defense to 35
6. Reduce Speed to 90

I agree that a lot of the problem is in its HP and Speed, but I like that Slaking feels bulky/tanky. I'd want to try reducing its offensive abilities while retaining it as a bulky Pokemon before changing it otherwise. I could try something else if this doesn't seem like a reasonable list.

@narutofoxLT: Yes I know that, I posted why I made the adjustments to both attacks already.

Sweet.

I just honestly (no need to suck up, so trust it's genuine) wanted to say how much I appreciate your attentiveness to this thread and the suggestions of the community as well as your commitment to balance within the game itself. It's great to see.

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
Contagion said:
crenel said:
1. Reduce Attack to 140
6. Reduce Speed to 90

Sweet.

I just honestly (no need to suck up, so trust it's genuine) wanted to say how much I appreciate your attentiveness to this thread and the suggestions of the community as well as your commitment to balance within the game itself. It's great to see.

I like the way this is going... I sold my slak some days ago and I feel as a noob, because now I know that without Slaking in my team Its very hard make some kind of strategy against a team based on brutal force (Meta,Slak, etc). I found some counters for those those brutal force teams, but Is still very hard and I think the game is losing the funny thing of the battles --> Strategy. You'll see, I'll make a tourney on wich Slak won't be avaiable, let's see how many players can deal with my stuff without Slak...
I'll keep an eye on your updates, also I will try to test them all.

xNovoxx

matileo19 said:
Contagion said:
Dovee said:

If an Slak has less Spd:
Chari
Shiny Primeape
Raichu
Electabuzz
Manectric

If the move dont miss:

Jolteon
Starmie

If FP miss:
Metagross
Shiny Rhydon
Shiny Steelix
Snorlax (Probably)
Tyranitar (Probably)
Aerodactyl

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor

With the update:

Jolteon
Starmie

If FP miss:

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor

A total of 9... lol

I think this is LARGELY miss-informed and mistaken. At least in general, most of this information is relatively wrong or lacks further analysis and information.

Reasons :

If an Slak has less Spd:
Chari (Doesn't kill an Uber HP/SP Def slaking 100% of the time. If one minimum Flare Blitz hit occurs, Slaking Survives)
Shiny Primeape (Actually has a 20% chance to miss, meaning even if he's faster, he can fail.)
Raichu (If charizard with 109 base spatk and flare blitz having 100% Accuracy struggles, I have no clue how Raichu would kill one. Unless Thunderwave)
Electabuzz (Look @ Raichu)
Manectric (Same poke as Jolteon, so I have no clue why he's here)

If the move dont miss:

Jolteon (Refer to Charizard)
Starmie (Refer to Charizard)

If FP miss: You lack probabilities, which are completely relevant if you discuss FP
Metagross (One thing thats true, though the update made metagross an even more reliable counter since H.A. wont 3 shot it)
Shiny Rhydon (Rhydon would need to land 4 Earthquakes to kill a Slaking. Slaking has a 50% Chance to land One FP. So you have a 12.5% chance of not hitting Rhydon, meaning odds are in your favor. 50% Chance to beat Rhydon if you insist on using FP all the way)
Shiny Steelix (Even worst odds than Rhydon, considering it'll take about 5-6 DE's to kill Slaking)
Snorlax (Probably) (Only poke harshly influenced by the update to Hammer Arm)
Tyranitar (Probably) (Tyranitar would take about 4-5 Crunch's to kill Slaking. Saying Probably is a BIG mistake. Considering you only have a 12.5% or less to lose this fight)
Aerodactyl (lol? You can slash 90% of aeros to death)

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor (If slaking has uber Attack, Exegg will never beat Slaking unless he chooses to go with sleep powder.)

Seeing as people think this is a GREAT analysis I had to intervene. There are way too many mistakes and missing information.

My analysis

Technically, there is only 1 poke that was able to take out Slaking before Update 99% of the time and that was Metagross. With update, this hasn't changed.

I do agree that the introduction of Hammer Arm to Slaking is an improvement to him since his Expected Damage is greater than the one he did with Focus Punch.

Personally, I don't think the issue lies in the fact that Slaking's stats are really high. The issue lies in the fact that the wrong pokes are being updated. Introduction of Hammer Arm to Rhydon, Metagross, Swampert would introduce new effective counters to Slaking. Introduction of Close Combat to all the fighting pokes would lessen his influence in the battle scene.

I personally think simply removing Hammer arm AND Focus Punch from slaking would be enough in the meantime. Though I'm insistent on disagreeing with any analysis Mati has done due to lack of information or misguiding information.

Also, those who think reducing the Attack stat of slaking would rebalance it are largely misguided. Slaking is a speedy tank. That's where he excels. He is able to take enough hits AND hit first. The damage outlay is relatively irrelevant to him compared to other stats. Consider the fact that a max hp, max defense and max spd slaking would never die to anypoke other than Metagross, unless Charizard moves first AND gets TWO max % flare blitz. If you were to modify any Stats, it would end up being HP, since a decrease from 450 to 350, would make him largely more vulnerable to all attacks that he incurs, making him 2 hit ko'd by just about any Special Attack User that is faster and can survive 1 hit.

Mathematically, Slaking hits just as hard as any poke that would happen to have 200 Attack or SP Attack using a 120 power move w/ stab, if we were to keep the defense value constant. This means that any poke that has more than 200 attack or sp attack deals more damage than slaking on a single hit if it were to use a move with 120 power and stab against a poke who's x1 resistant. This means that technically, majority of pokes out hit slaking on a consistent basis.

And example would be Tyranitar using crunch (Power 80 w/ Stab) against Tauros does exact same amount of damage as Slaking using Slash (Power 70 w/ Stab), irrelevant of the 50 Attack Stat Difference that separates them. Another Example would be Slaking using Slash on Mew (where Mew's DEF = SP DEF) would do the exact same damage as Blastoise using Hydro Pump against Mew. This means any poke with more than 200 attack or sp attack using a move of 120 Power w/ stab can easily out hit Slaking. Hence my promotion of more moveset updated into Generation 5. This would increase the pool of pokes that would easily out-hit slaking.

ALSO : Why are people upset about chip away? It's completely irrelevant. It does same damage as Slash. I don't understand why people think it's better at all. Not to mention, the fact that giga impact is 100% Accuracy is going completely uncomplained about.

crenel

Youngster
The goal is just to make Slaking manageable while I work down the list.

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
xNovoxx said:
matileo19 said:
Contagion said:
Dovee said:

If an Slak has less Spd:
Chari
Shiny Primeape
Raichu
Electabuzz
Manectric

If the move dont miss:

Jolteon
Starmie

If FP miss:
Metagross
Shiny Rhydon
Shiny Steelix
Snorlax (Probably)
Tyranitar (Probably)
Aerodactyl

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor

With the update:

Jolteon
Starmie

If FP miss:

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor

A total of 9... lol

I think this is LARGELY miss-informed and mistaken. At least in general, most of this information is relatively wrong or lacks further analysis and information.

Reasons :

If an Slak has less Spd:
Chari (Doesn't kill an Uber HP/SP Def slaking 100% of the time. If one minimum Flare Blitz hit occurs, Slaking Survives)
Shiny Primeape (Actually has a 20% chance to miss. Same as Starmie)
Raichu (If charizard with 109 base spatk and flare blitz having 100% Accuracy struggles, I have no clue how Raichu would kill one. Unless Thunderwave)
Electabuzz (Look @ Raichu)
Manectric (Same poke as Jolteon, so I have no clue why he's here)

If the move dont miss:

Jolteon (Refer to Charizard)
Starmie (Refer to Charizard)

If FP miss:
Metagross (One thing thats true)
Shiny Rhydon (Rhydon would need to land 4 Earthquakes to kill a Slaking. Slaking has a 50% Chance to land One FP. So you have a 12.5% chance of not hitting Rhydon, meaning odds are in your favor. 50% Chance to beat Rhydon if you insist on using FP all the way)
Shiny Steelix (Even worst odds than Rhydon, considering it'll take about 5-6 DE's to kill Slaking)
Snorlax (Probably) (Only poke harshly influenced by the update to Hammer Arm)
Tyranitar (Probably) (Tyranitar would take about 4-5 Crunch's to kill Slaking. Saying Probably is a BIG mistake. Considering you only have a 12.5% or less to lose this fight)
Aerodactyl (lol? You can slash 90% of aeros to death)

Others:
Shiny Exeggutor (If slaking has uber Attack, Exegg will never beat Slaking unless he chooses to go with sleep powder.)

Seeing as people think this is a GREAT analysis I had to intervene. There are way too many mistakes and missing information.

Technically, there is only 1 poke that was able to take out Slaking before Update 99% of the time and that was Metagross. With update, this hasn't changed.

I do agree that the introduction of Hammer Arm to Slaking is an improvement to him since his Expected Damage is greater than the one he did with Focus Punch.

Personally, I don't think the issue lies in the fact that Slaking's stats are really high. The issue lies in the fact that the wrong pokes are being updated. Introduction of Hammer Arm to Rhydon, Metagross, Swampert would introduce new effective counters to Slaking. Introduction of Close Combat to all the fighting pokes would lessen his influence in the battle scene.

I personally think simply removing Hammer arm AND Focus Punch from slaking would be enough in the meantime. Though I'm insistent on disagreeing with any analysis Mati has done due to lack of information or misguiding information.

Also, those who think reducing the Attack stat of slaking would rebalance it are largely misguided. Slaking is a speedy tank. That's where he excels. He is able to take enough hits AND hit first. The damage outlay is relatively irrelevant to him compared to other stats. Consider the fact that a max hp, max defense and max spd slaking would never die to anypoke other than Metagross, unless Charizard moves first AND gets TWO max % flare blitz. If you were to modify any Stats, it would end up being HP, since a decrease from 450 to 350, would make him largely more vulnerable to all attacks that he incurs.

ALSO : Why are people upset about chip away? It's completely irrelevant. It does same damage as Slash. I don't understand why people think it's better at all.

Lol... What I wrote here is what I saw, with my stuff against others stuff... It's not a FULL analysis, just a little overview of the situation... You shouldn't overdo the things and take a look to what is wrote on the tittles of each list. If you have not seen it or if you dont own a pokemon that has not been able to beat slaking doesnt mean its not possible, I did it and thats why I know what Im saying, if I start analyzing what attacks might fail, etc, etc would never end, it would be something stupid, we're talking about percentages.
I could say that none of these can beat slaking if it has around 25 and 30 IVs in all stats. I tested those pokes, on more than one occasion, I have and had all the pokemons on that list, with considerable/good stats, It's not a lie or false information... OFC, if you want a FULL analysis I could list what could happen If a Shiny Starmie face an Slaking with bad HP and max atk or an Slaking with Max HP but bad SP.DEf etc , indeed... However, with your second opinion or without a second opinion, the situation keeps being the same as before or worse, slaking is still too powerful or more than what it used to be.

I do agree with:

he introduction of Hammer Arm to Slaking is an improvement to him since his Expected Damage is greater than the one he did with Focus Punch.

Slaking is a speedy tank. That's where he excels. He is able to take enough hits AND hit first. The damage outlay is relatively irrelevant to him compared to other stats. Consider the fact that a max hp, max defense and max spd slaking would never die to anypoke other than Metagross

I personally think simply removing Hammer arm AND Focus Punch from slaking would be enough in the meantime.
Also, those who think reducing the Attack stat of slaking would rebalance it are largely misguided. Slaking is a speedy tank.

A brief summary between the 2 replys (mine and novox)

The only one able to beat slaking is Metagross, but if you're lucky or you have a pokemon with good stats or you face an slaking with bad stats or whatever you want me to say, there will be others who can beat him (the ones I listed before). Btw, any Rock type could kill Slaking if Hammer Arm/Focus gets removed.

xNovoxx

crenel said:
The goal is just to make Slaking manageable while I work down the list.

If that is the case, I'd propose one of three suggestions, which I'll describe with relatively elaborate reasons. The list will be in order of my personal suggestion, as the one I find the most reasonable and least destructive will be the first one.

1) Reduce Base HP from 150 to 110.

This would move the MAX HP of slaking from 436 to 357.

Mathematically, these results would reduce the pool of damage that Slaking can soak up. Let's take two cases.

1. Charizard vs Slaking.
Charizard with Max SP ATK would deal approximately 197 - 232 damage per Flare Blitz against a MAX SP DEF Slaking. This means that if it lands two minimum hits, he will do 394 damage to HP in total. This result would guarantee the fact that Charizard would 2 shot slaking if faster. This is 40 HP Overkill, meaning Special Attacking pokes with at least 226 Special Attack at level 99 using a 120 power move w/ stab can 2 shot Slaking. This means that all Special Attacking pokes would be able to deal an extremely significant amount of damage.

2. Feraligatr vs Slaking
Feraligatr with MAX ATK would deal approximately 180-212 damage per Superpower. This means that 2 superpowers would guarantee a death to slaking. Seeing as Slaking has no chance of two shotting Feraligatr with uber defense and hp, you generated a new reliable counter. You would also restore Fighting Poke's as counters to Normal Pokes such as Slaking.

if we also were to take Machamp vs Slaking, Machamp deals about 325 - 383 damage using Cross Chop. Meaning he has a good probabilty of one shotting a slaking with MAX HP and MAX DEF.

Now with these downfalls, this would make slaking pretty much weak to anything. that can outhit it. Number wise, he still appears as a tank though, and remains the clean up crew style poke he was. Though with this update, it means a mere Tauros would be able to two shot slaking due to Giga Impact, which will only shift all attention to spamming tauros rather than spamming Slakings. Therefore I suggest increasing power of Hammer Arm to 100 power and editing Giga Impact to 90% Accuracy to give Slaking and Tauros equal weight. This change will not influence any counters that I stated above towards Slaking. Yes Rhydon and Steelix won't kill Slaking but they never have been considered counters. You would logically NEVER send Rhydon up against slaking perviously, nor would you now.

2) Removing Hammer Arm and Focus Punch

This means that Slaking will retain his tanking abilities. But he will become the exact same poke as Tauros with a more bulky look. Both of them will be speedy cleanup crews weak to Steel and Rock pokes.

This means that Slakings counters will shift from Special Attack pokes to Physically bulky pokes with reistance to Normal moves.

This would be largely preferred by people with uber or shiny tauros', simply because he will fully outclass Slaking in every single outcome. Slaking will be fully replaced by Tauros, simply because both would have similar weakness, and the fact that Tauros can't be one shot, can 2 shot any poke who isn't resistant to normal and isn't vulnerable to Special Attack users who are slower unlike Slaking, making Slaking completely invisible in the competitive scene for the most part.

3) Reduce SP Defense even further

A Reduction from 65 Base SP DEF to 45 Base SP DEF would essentially move Slakings MAX SP DEF from 164 to 124. Lets take 2 cases once again

1. Charizard vs Slaking
Charizard will output approximately 259 - 305 Damage to HP Per Flare Blitz if both pokes have MAX Stats. This is a 82 Damage Over kill, leaving breathing room for pokes with less SP Attack. A poke would need AT LEAST 210 Special Attack to 2 shot slaking guarantee'd using a SP ATK move with 120 power and stab. This will essentially retain Slakings force on the physical side of the game but make him completely destructable by special attacks.

Only fear of this outcome is that, the game is currently filled with Charizard Spam. This is only going to promote it.

2. Jolteon vs Slaking
Jolteon would be able to deal 262 - 302 Damage with Thunder and 176-207 with Discharge to a slaking with MAX SP DEF. This means that you could use it to clean up slaking after he takes at least 84 damage with a 100% chance to kill, assuming Slaking won't one shot Jolteon. This would also allow Jolteon to Two Shot Slaking, as long as it lands Thunder on its first turn. Starmie would also have a probabilty to kill slaking using Hydro Pump and Bubblebeam if it lands high % attacks and hydro.

This is my least favorite option simply because all Special based pokes pretty much have a chance to miss crucial attacks. Though if we were to lower SP DEF even further that problem can be overlooked, but we have to consider the fact that it would be slightly imbalanced if Alakazam or Gardevoir were to one shot slaking, so we'd have to find an appropriate level to accommodate all special based pokes.

@ Mati

I completely understand though I think it's an inefficient analysis that is all. Problems with slaking's only appear when he is uber. No one out there has an issue countering a bad slaking, so therefore we need to analyse the WORST possible outcome. Otherwise you overlook many aspects that might occur. You can't optimize edits to a poke based on a half uber Slaking only to see a Shiny Slaking appear via Token Store that you havn't accounted for and retains imbalances. That's all I'm trying to say. Always analyse at the highest and worst possible outcome.

Contagion

I don't think any of us are going to argue with Novo's analysis... he's the best battler around because he knows this stuff.

That said, it may end up being more work for you to adjust Slaking and then adjust him back after more updates.

I know you're not taking suggestions, BUT perhaps focusing on certain pokes that will be known counters to Slaking will balance things out.

Moves that come to mind are Close Combat, fighting pokes with stab and high attack and a 120 bp close combat may even be able to OHKO slaking (which would be glorious to see, though im sure Novo will correct my math ;) )

The three Hoenn starters would, I think, be viable counters to Slaking with updated movesets. Swampert with Hammer Arm, Blaziken with Close Combat and Sceptile with his crazy speed and a stab'ed Leaf Storm.

Hariyama with Close Combat, Primeape and Heracross woould all become adequate counters. And to be honest I would love to see some good fighting types emerge now that teams with an uber Slaking, uber Tauros AND uber Snorlax are becoming quite common.

Heck, Novo will correct me again if I'm wrong but even a Pinsir with uber ATK and DEF and superpower could, I think beat a decent Slaking.

xNovoxx

Contagion said:
I don't think any of us are going to argue with Novo's analysis... he's the best battler around because he knows this stuff.

That said, it may end up being more work for you to adjust Slaking and then adjust him back after more updates.

I know you're not taking suggestions, BUT perhaps focusing on certain pokes that will be known counters to Slaking will balance things out.

Moves that come to mind are Close Combat, fighting pokes with stab and high attack and a 120 bp close combat may even be able to OHKO slaking (which would be glorious to see, though im sure Novo will correct my math ;) )

The three Hoenn starters would, I think, be viable counters to Slaking with updated movesets. Swampert with Hammer Arm, Blaziken with Close Combat and Sceptile with his crazy speed and a stab'ed Leaf Storm.

Hariyama with Close Combat, Primeape and Heracross woould all become adequate counters. And to be honest I would love to see some good fighting types emerge now that teams with an uber Slaking, uber Tauros AND uber Snorlax are becoming quite common.

Heck, Novo will correct me again if I'm wrong but even a Pinsir with uber ATK and DEF and superpower could, I think beat a decent Slaking.

Unfortunately no fighting poke, even with Close Combat + Stab, would be able to 1 hit ko Slaking unless his stats are completely rubbish. But he would be able to do minimum of 80% damage to a slaking with good defenses and max hp. Also, majority of close combat pokes will be able to remove tauros in one close combat, meaning that using a fighting poke would actually be a viable decision, since if slaking took some damage, you know you can 1 shot it and if that opportunity doesn't arise, you at least know you can take out a tauros 100%.

For those who are complaining about Slaking's lack of Truant ability, I think are missing one crucial point. PWO has no TM's. Considering the fact that in the handhelds, you are able to teach Slaking Giga Impact, is on its own ridiculous. In PWO, with no TM's and having Slash being his most optimum move in damage output, he really is lacking damage output. The lack of truant ability here is irrelevant, unless we chose to let him learn Giga Impact or Frustration. This will just return to my argument that he's a Speedy Tank, but I assume you guys understand that via my previous posts.

Note : All truant ability does is make him skip his next turn, hence reducing his Expected Damage Output by half. If we keep Defense constant (at Base 100), Slaking would do 242-284 using Giga Impact. If Truant ability is active, next turn he does 0 damage, hence we can say that his expected damage output over 2 turns would be 121 - 142 dmg per turn. If we take Slaking using Slash, he does 114 - 134. With Truant ability, his expected output damage would be a mere 57 - 67. To put it in perspective, that is 1/2 of the damage Raticate would deal using Double Edge. Hence, the lack of truant ability is technically made up for via the lack of a moveset pool that deals effective amount of damage per hit. (Note, Slash is 105 w/ Stab. Hence even a 100 damage Hammer Arm would not send Slaking into Overpowered mode. It would simply force you to use effective counters)

Lastly, we need to understand that, despite Slaking being strong at the moment, any reduction to his stats or usefulness in combat will simply shift to a Tauros Spam. I find it somewhat hypocritical that we are proposing a nerf in Slaking without mentioning the fact that Tauros is producing 60 more damage PER Giga Impact compared to Slaking's Slash, he's faster than about 95% of competitive poke. Therefore if you consider the fact that Tauros can 2 shot anything that he isnt 1/2x to and no poke out there can guarantee a 1 hit ko due to lack of close combat, you simply have an inverted Slaking, who's, rather than being a Speedy Tank, is a Speedy Glass Cannon who can't get 1 shot. (Note : I understand Tauros has more weakness' due to his movepool, I'm just making a point that removal of Hammer Arm, would make Slaking relatively extinct due to Tauros being more efficient.)

Note : Everyone is just trying to push their own agenda. Those without an uber Slaking will be looking forward to his nerf due to Tauros replacing him, and being relatively easy to acquire due to it being VR. Those with Uber Slakings will try and protect him but if he does end up being nerfed, they know they can just hunt for a few days for a Tauros and they can easily be back into the competitive scene. Personally, I don't see massive issues with Slaking at the moment, seeing as Metagross essentially removes Slaking from the battle at a 99% probability and Metagross is largely accessibly to the masses. I personally can't believe that people are complaining that Rhydon and Steelix can't kill Slaking now, simply due to the fact that they were never reliable counters. Anyone who sends a Rhydon or a Steelix vs a Slaking was essentially begging for the PWO Gods to be generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.