Pokemon fly attack

Isguros

Youngster
For those who weren't lucky enough to have been invited to the conversation group Kurokishi made; here's what was originally posted:

| ve a good suggestion. I ve seen in many games pokes flying. I thought it would come in pwo also so here is a map on learning ability fly. the gives a poke and tells to train it upto its last level and happiness 255. After finishing the quest you'll get one tm fly free and next onwards for money. After we can access fly ports in various cities to travel. While npc fight and flying pokes maybe caught. There will be landing pad where you can go down to other cities' fly port. Make sure the sprite sits on his poke.
View attachment 6638

Jinji Edit: See post #12 for Kurokishi's full suggestion, including his drawings.

Last edited:

Isguros

Youngster
So, if I'm interpreting this in a way that leaves out all the parts I don't care about, you're saying that you want to make a map that connects certain cities, much like the Diglett's Cave, but with an aerial aesthetic and spawns that would require a certain move to access it? That's not the worst idea I've come across.

Cleveland

Youngster
I wanna ride around Kanto & Johto on a Dragon like I'm Jon Snow or Daenerys :cool:

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The suggestion as I understand it makes for quite an interesting concept for how Flying could work in-game, and I'm not sure if it's one I've actually seen suggested before. It sounds like the proposal is, when the move "Fly" is used outside of battle, the player gets instantly warped to a new map which represents the current region; and the player can then move to where they want to go and choose to "land" there, warping them to the chosen destination - similar to the "Warp Whistle" and "World 9" from Super Mario Bros. 3. This might actually be workable and not require the level of GUI customisation that previously put paid to previous suggestions for Fly; however, there would be the issue of how exactly Fly gets triggered, since the PWO Client has no support for Pokémon using moves outside of battle at the present time (excluding Rock Smash and Strength, which are technically handled by the Rocks themselves).

Isguros

Youngster
It sounds like the proposal is, when the move "Fly" is used outside of battle, the player gets instantly warped to a new map which represents the current region; and the player can then move to where they want to go and choose to "land" there, warping them to the chosen destination
The original poster mentioned there being airports you'll have to embark from and land at, so it's not as convenient and extremely difficult to implement as you made it out to be.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The original poster mentioned there being airports you'll have to embark from and land at, so it's not as convenient and extremely difficult to implement as you made it out to be.
Honestly? I prefer my version.

shodan21

Youngster
what's wrong with how fly is implemented in the handhelds? as for how to trigger it, just have like an npc (associated sprite TBD) to serve as a trigger, similar to how rock smash and strength were implemented using their respective rocks, and pop up a dialogue prompting where to go like with the existing transportation systems. shouldnt be that hard.

of course, the real question is why this is necessary given the transportation systems and how this wont make those dead content (using the word "content" somewhat loosely, of course).

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The point of "PWO already has several transport systems" is exactly why I don't particularly like the idea of adding airports to PWO, as it would make all of them redundant. As for "why don't we just implement fly like the handhelds" - simply put, the amount of work this would require is not something that would make it a priority to work on at this time. To summarise some of the problems:
  1. In official games, you can't fly to locations you haven't already visited.
    This means the client will need to detect where you've already been before; or, this information will need to be supplied by the server. (Using badges is NOT a solution, as that would prevent flying to locations you have access to but haven't won the badge yet; or alternatively would allow people to skip ahead to towns without even travelling to them first.)
  2. There would need to be a way to make "Fly" selectable.
    To be fair, this is a problem with practically every suggestion for implementing Fly. If we want to do it the way "official games" do - by selecting the Pokémon that knows fly and then selecting "Fly", that requires a modification of the client GUI.
  3. There would need to be a whole new GUI window designed to support selecting where to fly to.
    Although it might be possible to simplify this - maybe use a list-based or selection box approach rather than a full "click a location on this map" - this would still require additional client support.
  4. Creating new GUIs is not trivial.
    New graphics have to be made for the new windows; and the client will need to be rewritten to support them - and that's even BEFORE we get to implementing the actual feature itself.
And that's just what I know about, as a non-client-developer...

shodan21

Youngster
The point of "PWO already has several transport systems" is exactly why I don't particularly like the idea of adding airports to PWO, as it would make all of them redundant. As for "why don't we just implement fly like the handhelds" - simply put, the amount of work this would require is not something that would make it a priority to work on at this time. To summarise some of the problems:
  1. In official games, you can't fly to locations you haven't already visited.
    This means the client will need to detect where you've already been before; or, this information will need to be supplied by the server. (Using badges is NOT a solution, as that would prevent flying to locations you have access to but haven't won the badge yet; or alternatively would allow people to skip ahead to towns without even travelling to them first.)
  2. There would need to be a way to make "Fly" selectable.
    To be fair, this is a problem with practically every suggestion for implementing Fly. If we want to do it the way "official games" do - by selecting the Pokémon that knows fly and then selecting "Fly", that requires a modification of the client GUI.
  3. There would need to be a whole new GUI window designed to support selecting where to fly to.
    Although it might be possible to simplify this - maybe use a list-based or selection box approach rather than a full "click a location on this map" - this would still require additional client support.
  4. Creating new GUIs is not trivial.
    New graphics have to be made for the new windows; and the client will need to be rewritten to support them - and that's even BEFORE we get to implementing the actual feature itself.
And that's just what I know about, as a non-client-developer...
yeah so my comment addressed all of that except for the locations, which the transportation systems handle via badge requirements already. fly could be implemented pretty much exactly like the transportation systems, except with more locations (but, with badge-based reqs, limited to places that can be reasonably restricted by badges); instead of interacting with a train npc or a ferry npc or a tram npc, you interact with some "fly" npc and need a poke in your team that knows fly. simple.

but again... makes the transportation systems obsolete, so its probably not really worth it.

Isguros

Youngster
In a perfect world where everything works as intended and nothing can ever go wrong, you could have an entirely open free road flying system with an entirely new GUI etc. You could also work with what's available and use an NPC (or even better: an item)'s dialogue as a substitute to make a more convenient fast-travel system. But I think this suggestion has the most potential to actually add something to the game (instead of replacing something else) without requiring that many added recourses (I think you only need cloud like walls and a character sprite): You can have a new way to get to places, other spawns, sky battles... and with this entire new world to explore, there's also rules you'll have to follow which are still yet to be determined. The sky is the limit, and just the beginning as well. :)

Kuro~

| ve a good suggestion. I ve seen in many games pokes flying. I thought it would come in pwo also so here is a map on learning ability fly. the gives a poke and tells to train it upto its last level and happiness 255. After finishing the quest you'll get one tm fly free and next onwards for money. After we can access fly ports in various cities to travel. While npc fight and flying pokes maybe caught. There will be landing pad where you can go down to other cities' fly port. Make sure the sprite sits on his poke.

Attachments

• CamScanner 08-29-2021 10.21.41_1.jpg
    CamScanner 08-29-2021 10.21.41_1.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 5
  • CamScanner 08-29-2021 10.21.41_2.jpg
    CamScanner 08-29-2021 10.21.41_2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 4
  • CamScanner 08-29-2021 10.21.41_3.jpg
    CamScanner 08-29-2021 10.21.41_3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 3
  • CamScanner 08-29-2021 10.21.41_4.jpg
    CamScanner 08-29-2021 10.21.41_4.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Merged threads as Isguros already started a discussion about your idea :)
(Wish the Forum had allowed me to keep your post on top though...)

shodan21

Youngster
Merged threads as Isguros already started a discussion about your idea :)
(Wish the Forum had allowed me to keep your post on top though...)
would it have done so if you merged this thread into his? or does it just merge by posted date?

Darren.

Youngster
I wish that I could fly
Into the sky
So very high
Just like a dragonfly

I'd fly above the trees
Over the seas in all degrees
To anywhere I please

Oh I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah yeah yeah