Pokemon EVs, Possible or not?

OGPokemaster

Well i was just wondering how difficult it would be to implement Ev into PWO. I think that adding EVs into the game can lead to an even more interesting and fun experience for the players of pwo. i'd like to here the opinions of other players and staff on weather its possible, or even worth putting EVs into the game (i personally think its well worth it).

Merse

Youngster
Considering that the staff has no ability to modify the current client, it would be impossible.
However, as a new client is under development, sooner or later obviously it will be implemented.

HeavyPetter

Merse said:
Considering that the staff has no ability to modify the current client, it would be impossible.
However, as a new client is under development, sooner or later obviously it will be implemented.

So the source code for the client is no longer available, and there's only a compiled version?? In that case the ongoing project for writing up a new client is indeed a very good initiative.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
I know EVs is something alot of people want but I still really don't want to see it implemented. EV training in handhelds yea thats good but here it will ruin it for me I know people won't agree with me but its just my opinion and its a long ways off.

CoolKnightST

EVs en an PvP update will give more variantion in PvP. Secondly they could cheat with the EV by boosting it with the gymleader pokémon. What could result into an harder gym battle.

The only problem that I see with the current pwo system are the training spots of EV. Some of the popular spots where spoiled when new pokémon where add to the encounter rate. However some of them where maybe possitive like the caterpie hunt for HP EV will be less effective than before. Those spots where in related online game so full that it give desadvantage for the starter player. I really hope if EV even got released they create some new higher levels areas with the perfect encounter for EV training so it won't ruin the game for new players.

I gues the discussion would more be if this EV will be visible or not.

Faabz.

Youngster
Ramensnoodle said:
I know EVs is something alot of people want but I still really don't want to see it implemented. EV training in handhelds yea thats good but here it will ruin it for me I know people won't agree with me but its just my opinion and its a long ways off.

Why do you think so ? It's better than everybody using shinies and the other pokemons would have use too IMO

Saric

Youngster
Faabz. said:
Ramensnoodle said:

Why do you think so ? It's better than everybody using shinies and the other pokemons would have use too IMO
Not really. Unless PWO puts in a system like that of black/white where stats are recalculated after every battle, all max level pokes will be screwed over until a system like that is put into place. It would only really benefit pokemon that can still gain levels. That, and there's just some pokes that simply should not be able to be ev trained without some restrictions (slaking namely). Honestly until things like abilities and TMs come into play, EVs shouldn't be coded into the game imo.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
Faabz. said:
Ramensnoodle said:

With tm/hm and abilities it will have that same effect. Look at the major move updates alone people already started using pokes they normally don't and I already Know a few people that don't even use shinies to battle.
I do see the upside to EVs being implemented I have thought about it for a while I just don't like/want to see the normal method of ev training implemented. I have been playing around with a few ideas about suggesting others ways of doing it but thats for another thread and another time.

Merse

Youngster
I have to agree with Saric, the only realistic way to implement EVs is to use the Gen5 system, which also includes berries, which can reduce the EVs of the Pokemon.
But now that the new client is under development, the possibilities are endless. I think that Herdcoreh knows very well, that the client code has to be prepared for more contents, compared to the current client, and I'm sure that he will prepare the core code so it will be able to handle B/W style EV system, HMs and other important stuff.

MaddHappy

If EV were to be included I would love it if the Playerdex kept track all the EV training. Meaning it would tell me exactly where in the specific skill I have use the training on. That way I wouldn't have to keep track of them. For the lvl issue maybe they can reset all lvl 99s to 95 to account for the new EVs.

CoolKnightST

MaddHappy said:
If EV were to be included I would love it if the Playerdex kept track all the EV training. Meaning it would tell me exactly where in the specific skill I have use the training on. That way I wouldn't have to keep track of them. For the lvl issue maybe they can reset all lvl 99s to 95 to account for the new EVs.
I'm not sure it's an good idea. The EV system originaly was implement in the game to prevent users to train there pokémon with rare candy's since that way they didn't get any EV. Secondly is was implement to stimular training pokémon from level 5 (by breeding) so those pokémon will become stronger that an pokémon catched on an higher level (mostly only for mid level influence).

EV was design invisible for an reason so when continue your quest almost every pokémon had unique stats compared with eachother. Training EV on an way like that was just an secondly effect. It last until generation 5 until they add the new exp system to prevent speed training it.

I agrea with Saric

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
EV's Shouldn't be implemented, and TM's should be very limited as well. There should be focus of adding new regions and new pokemon for variety in battle. This is a MMO, not a handheld, and shouldn't be treated as such. Imagine all of the pokemon people worked so hard to obtain and train made obsolete instantly to be replaced by new pokemon abusing an EV system. I wouldn't play a game like that.

CoolKnightST

An good battle and level engine is really imported in games even in MMO. Still I can agrea an bit on the region thing. The current way to force hoenn pokémon in the game kinda screwed up the server. I gues almost 50% of the database has 16 badge what kinda explanes why everyone are waiting of that update. The game is in fact an bit locked and broken on this part and there almost no events that slow down the game progress. Let me example it like this:
  • The start of the game with the low exp (in kanto, not sure for johto) comes with an really low exp grind before the 1st gym.
  • Ones more rebattle NPC came avaible it kinda reversed, the npc pokémon where stronger and made gym leader just an fell balloons on the road. The concept of the game reversed, instant of fear gymleader it was fear the regular trainer. During the higher and higher level of the rebattle npc pokémon start to level higher and higher way stronger than the gymleaders.
  • Last grinding for HR and even VR pokémon doesn't even require npc's anymore to raise there level that high. It was like 10 levelup to encounter and VR and probaly 20 levels for an HR.. .
An restart with the reballance and fixes are really needed in this game, so is the V generation exp system to reduce the amount of exp pokémon get when grinding for HR's is the way they need to go. I hope they decide to fix the npc system so gym leader can be feared again ones more. It are mostly the small things that make the game ballance.